Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Rectifier Location Options  (Read 746 times)

Kaw4bike

Rectifier Location Options
« on: September 11, 2021, 12:13:32 PM »

Howdy, had a little issue with my bike last time out and that it was draining the battery. Bought a new one and still drained out after about seven laps at VIR. Figured I’d replace the rectifier since when I checked it the ground was not up to par. I suspect it may have been where I relocated the rectifier. It was in the front fairing but when I converted it to race trim, I had to put in the very back in the tail. Doesn’t get much airflow back there so maybe it overheated. Bike is a Kawi 636..

Question; those that had to relocate the rectifier,  what is the best location? I’m thinking of mounting it directly under the battery tray above the rear shock.  Does it need adequate airflow? Do we have to consider if the new location getting wet?
I Appreciate any advice.

thank you

RocketDan

• Control Rider
Re: Rectifier Location Options
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 12:47:06 PM »

I am no help on the rectified relocation question, but have you confirmed the stator is charging properly?

Daniel Hughes
2015 R1

Kaw4bike

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 03:52:03 PM »

Hi haven’t confirmed but tested the rectifier (checking resistance in each lead) and it seems bad.

To check the alternator I plan on disconnecting the alternator lead connector and test in the leads to see output voltages. Then if that checks out then I’ll check the starter coil resistance.  checked the relay and it seems fine.
Are there any other alternatives or checks I should perform? And how?

Thanks for any advice!

Kaw4bike

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 03:53:54 PM »

Also does anyone have an extra functional rectifier for a 2013-2016 Kawasaki 636?

Just let me know the details, thank you.

theottergod

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 08:01:10 PM »

Just make sure when you test the stator/alternator that your voltmeter is set to AC. Seen a few meters go up in smoke this way.
Spencer :i:#17
'87 NC24
'99 RC46
'01 RC51

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 06:41:11 PM »

Air flow yes direct perhaps not but in the tail or under battery I see disaster on a failure loop. Not a Kawa guy but with Suzuki you replace rec and stator or suffer failures over and over. Why I am not an electrical engineer but it is how it goes.
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder- Owner

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

meowculpa

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 10:06:53 AM »

My understanding may be way off here, but when's that prevented anyone from having an opinion?  :D (All my motorcycle working knowledge is accidentally acquired )
 I feel Dan's recommendation might be valid - Stator to charge the battery; Reg/rectifier in charge of getting rid of the 'extra' charging amps. So if the battery is getting drained, must be the charging system failure or it is discharging inappropriately, and not necessarily due to a failing R/R. Good luck in the hunt for the source of the malady. (Electrical issues are sublimely annoying! :banghead: )

Since we are on the subject of R/R and that you may be replacing / repositioning it, it might be the right time to upgrade and not worry about it in the future. Besides the right location (Place where it gets Direct airflow over it, like Mike alluded to), the right kind might be beneficial too to prevent overheating / prevent battery overcharge. The Shindengen Mosfet R/R SH847 is what's on my bikes (My OEM ones were having a hard time keeping up with the extra amps - overheating the R/R and bike occasionally shutting off while hitting the ignition start after a session. With Lithium batteries on the bike, the last thing we wanted was for the battery to catch fire by overcharging - this makes it one less thing to worry about. Is it overkill? Maybe. Is the peace of mind worth it for me? Certainly! Am I faster because of the Lithium batteries ? Definitely not! But, Motorcycle aftermarket parts are dope antidepressants.  :haha: )

https://www.roadstercycle.com/Shindengen%20Mosfet%20Regulator%20about.htm

Cheers.
S/S # 47: Malpractice Makes Perfect!
07 CBR 600RR (A & B)

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 18 queries.