Member Forums > Technical

Benefits of upgraded master cylinder?

(1/4) > >>

JustAnotherSquid:
Hi all,

What exactly are the benefits of upgrading the MC to something like a Brembo?  The brakes on my Gixxer are powerful, firm, and easy to modulate (Vesrah pads with SS lines), but I get inconsistencies with the actuation point.  Sometimes as frequently as from one corner to the next.  It's not the end of the world but it's something I'd like to fix if I could.  (My Beemer has always done it too but I just assumed it was a quirk of the ABS system.)

I know upgrading the MC is a common thing on Gixxers - would it help with the inconsistent actuation?

Thanks for any insight you have to offer!

RocketDan:
A different MC should give you a better feeling at the lever.

Also make sure you are using good brake fluid. Mogul RBF 600 is a popular choice. It works well with the heat generated under track conditions. Cheap fluid can heat up too much and could cause inconsistencies in the braking system.

Daniel Hughes
2015 R1

JustAnotherSquid:
Thanks RocketDan.  It has Brembo brake fluid in it now.  Do you happen to know where that falls on a scale from "Eh, it's fine but consider using RBF 600 next time" to "You idiot!  Do you also drink bleach??? Get that crap out of there right now!"?

RocketDan:
I’m not too familiar with the Brembo fluid but looks
like they make a few different levels. So it would depend on which you are running. Brembo LCF600 looks comparable in heat resistance to the Motul RBF600. The main think is the heat resistance level of the fluid.

Also, make sure the brakes are bled really good. Any air at all can easily find its way out in a track environment. And fresh fluid at least every season.

Daniel Hughes
2015 R1

JustAnotherSquid:
Heard and understood.  It does have fresh LCF600 in it and all new bleeder valves.  I'll check everything again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version