Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: False Neutrals  (Read 3034 times)

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
False Neutrals
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2021, 07:30:34 AM »

Another thing to consider is trying to gear your bike so you don’t need to grab that shift either way mid corner. That way you can get shift, braking and body shift done early. Then more attention to focus on braking, line and getting to WOT ASAP on exit.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 06:20:51 AM by 52 Ruhe »
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder- Owner

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

Milkman

• Control Rider
Re: False Neutrals
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2021, 08:25:06 PM »

I had an older generation R6 in which I found a cheap fix for shifter problems.  For me the shifter travel distance was too far.  The same year R1 had a much shorter shifter arm and fit my bike.  After replacing the arm shifts were much shorter requiring less effort and felt positive.  Fairly inexpensive experiment if you can find a way to shorten the travel distance on either the rearset or clutch end of the cable.

Spinak 627

• Control Rider
  • There is no spoon
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2021, 07:29:09 AM »

For me the shifter travel distance was too far.  if you can find a way to shorten the travel distance

Personally I think this is the ticket right here
Matt Spinak
CCS Expert #627

lee7

• B.S.
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2021, 04:07:59 PM »

Another thing to consider is trying to gear your bike so you don’t need to grab that shift either way mid corner. That way you can get shift, braking and body shift done early. Then more attention to focus Ontario braking, line and getting to WOT ASAP on exit.

I do have the +2 rear sprocket (I'm currently -1 front/stock rear) so Ill be sure to get that on, the plan is to def not downshift before the kink.

I had an older generation R6 in which I found a cheap fix for shifter problems.  For me the shifter travel distance was too far.  The same year R1 had a much shorter shifter arm and fit my bike.  After replacing the arm shifts were much shorter requiring less effort and felt positive.  Fairly inexpensive experiment if you can find a way to shorten the travel distance on either the rearset or clutch end of the cable.

Thank you for the suggestion I'm currently using vortex rearsets (my bike is a 2012) but Id like to try something different for a change. Any specific ones you recommend?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 04:09:44 PM by lee7 »
LC
2012 R6 #337
2018 Street Triple RS

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friend.

mmmfishrighton

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2021, 09:55:08 AM »

Linkage or the angle of the shifter lever is definitely somewhere to start but it could be a mechanical issue with the transmission.  I have ridden quite a few R6s and did have an issue with my 14 R6 transmission specifically relating to downshifting.  Mine got worse over time and turned out to be an issue with third gear.  Just something to keep in mind. 
Sloan West
WERA #22
Mi Scusi SDK Endurance Racing

seasnake

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2021, 02:38:29 PM »

I fought this a long time on downshifts with my BMW.  It wasn't so bad when I was slower but as my pace increased the frequency increased, to the point I was losing confidence in the bike.  I changed springs, levers and made lots of adjustment to no avail.  I put the blipper on and that made it much better but didn't completely solve it.  Changed oil to Ravenol and started filling oil up to the top of the sight glass.  Never had another one after that.  So my thought is check your blipper settings to make sure it is unloading correctly and try a different oil. 

Dave Miller
'14 S1000RR
OTP #11

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2021, 06:23:18 AM »

Wait went back to original post. What washers were wrong?
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder- Owner

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

lee7

• B.S.
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2021, 09:28:11 PM »

Hey Mike, it was Washers 25, 26 and 29 in this attachment.

For some reason the washers I had were not the original, I swapped back to oem and that did make a very noticeable difference in terms of how smooth the shifter felt and the frequency of those false neutrals.

LC
2012 R6 #337
2018 Street Triple RS

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friend.

lee7

• B.S.
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2021, 09:30:35 PM »

I fought this a long time on downshifts with my BMW.  It wasn't so bad when I was slower but as my pace increased the frequency increased, to the point I was losing confidence in the bike.  I changed springs, levers and made lots of adjustment to no avail.  I put the blipper on and that made it much better but didn't completely solve it.  Changed oil to Ravenol and started filling oil up to the top of the sight glass.  Never had another one after that.  So my thought is check your blipper settings to make sure it is unloading correctly and try a different oil.

What oil were you using prior to switching to Ravenol? Im using Motul currently, I used royal purple in the past but had the same issues.
LC
2012 R6 #337
2018 Street Triple RS

seasnake

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2021, 05:53:51 PM »

I had tried the BMW oil and Rotella.  Rotella didn't last long at all in this bike. 
Dave Miller
'14 S1000RR
OTP #11

Viffer

• Control Rider
    • Max Speed Cycles
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2021, 08:29:43 AM »

The fact that the bike goes into gear and then jumps out or into another gear when is is loaded heavily on a down shift sounds like the beginning of an internal problem that will only get worse with time.  Yes all of the above things that people have suggested definitely need to be looked at and addressed as they will cause shifting difficulties.  However it looks as if it does go into gear and then because of the load, it jumps back out.  This is caused by several things and not limited to, worn shift dogs, worn shift forks and drum.  Hopefully I am wrong but the problem sounds internal.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 19 queries.