Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Mobil synthetic  (Read 3993 times)

sportracer07

Mobil synthetic
« on: February 14, 2015, 08:09:14 PM »

Hey guys i work at a car dealership, and managed to get some free Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w30. I have heard that full syn can ruin your clutches. Just wondering if this would be ok to run in my trackbike?  02 ZX6R.

jcrich

Re: Mobil synthetic
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 06:49:25 AM »

Mobil 1 5W-30 is an ILSAC GF-4 energy conserving viscosity. This probably means it has moly in it,, so nope for your bike. Plus 5w is a little thin for  bike applications.

Sig

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 12:34:24 PM »

5w just means it flows better when cold  than say a 10w. It's the last # that is of concern at operating temp.

sportracer07

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 05:28:35 PM »

Ok thanks guys,  anybody have any recommendations on oil, what are you guys running? Synthetic or conventional and maybe what kind?

jcrich

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 05:58:55 PM »

Right now Amsoil 10w-40 full synthetic. Only because my friend gets it for at a discount

Honkeystyle

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 08:04:37 AM »

Mobil 1 makes a full syn oil for bikes. Called 4T I believe. You can get it at Advance Auto. Just use the recommended viscosity for your machine. ie: 10W-40 etc...

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 04:36:38 PM »

I use Rotella. There seem to be lots of very strong opinions when it comes to oil. In the end you should use what whatever allows you to sleep well at night.  ;)
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

Mike55

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 08:32:06 AM »

Hey John can I please pick your brain? I've used Mobile1 4T for years in all of my bikes. I've been trying to talk myself into Rotella simply for the cost savings. A buddy has use been using it forever and swears by it (he has various bikes). He's a street rider but used it in his 08 nitro busa from day one and put 40K+ pretty hard miles on it without issue, including years of countless quarter mile runs and nitrous bottles. I've rarely been with him anywhere that he didn't pin it at some point and trigger the spray numerous times. To each his/her own I guess. Although I have to admit that I've "borrowed" it just for shits and giggles and it does put a smile on your face after the "holy shit!" And "ok it's over now". It's insane, literally. He actually "upgraded" to a ZX-14 last year. Anyway I'm trying to tell myself that if he can beat the snot out of the busa like that for years, I should be able to run it in my Daytona on the track, especially since I change it after every other event. Since you're a Rotella guy, do you think that's a valid thought?

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 01:58:32 PM »

I have no doubt you could do that, and you don't need to change it that often unless you just want to.
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 22 queries.