Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Benefits of Airfence  (Read 78886 times)

JRA

• Administrator
Benefits of Airfence
« on: December 18, 2014, 05:26:15 PM »

We're planning to use photos on the message board to show how the airfence we are raising money for benefits us. It's only common sense says that it benefits us right, so why start a thread about it?

Well now we'll have about thirty sections at VIR to work with instead of just nine. That's a significant increase, and it's important that we use it in what we think is the best way possible. We also think it's important to show the donors the areas that the airfence they donated are protecting.

Just as an example of what I'm talking about is this photo from the turn 1/2 area at VIR South. The dirt area closer to the track is the normal location for the tire wall. Literally less than ten feet off the edge of the track. This wall was extended by about forty feet before the 2013 season to protect Patriot course while Full Course was in use. The area where there is dirt instead of grass is the extended area. Fortunately it's just bundled tires that aren't staked down, and VIR was more than willing to accommodate our request to drag that wall back as far as possible any time we use the South Course. It's like a big alligator tail that can be moved side to side. We then used the airfence to protect that extended area, and next year we'll be able to add the four or five additional sections I really think it needs (to the left) that will protect the immovable area. I have personally witnessed a collision here (pre 2013) that would have put both riders into this wall, and probably into the airfence as pictured.

So this brings me back to the original intent of this thread, and that is how many people ever noticed that in the first place? I bet not many. I can't tell you how many times I've been part of an airfence discussion and multiple people in the discussion couldn't name the locations where there was airfence deployed. The fact is that many people just don't notice, I guess it's pretty easy to have tunnel vision on the track, and things like run off and airfence aren't even noticed. This thread will be used to demonstrate how we are using the resources we have to protect our riders, and additionally to raise awareness.

The 2015 PRE Air Fence Fundraiser is June 27 at VIR South.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 05:29:20 PM by JRA »
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

the-uno

• Active Control Riders
  • KCCO
Re: Benefits of Airfence
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 05:42:59 AM »

Great thread John. Honestly until I helped break the Air Fence down at the last VIR event I had never noticed it. But I am sure glad it is there and PRE has helped so much to protect the riders.
15 R1 308   :cr:
:ws:

Nick "uno" Munson

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 07:03:51 AM »

Great thread John. Honestly until I helped break the Air Fence down at the last VIR event I had never noticed it. But I am sure glad it is there and PRE has helped so much to protect the riders.

With more airfence next year we'll probably looking for more help. VIR has indicated they will assist in some way but we haven't worked out the details yet. As we get closer to the first event I'll post up what we need.

As for this thread I'll start positing up pictures after the March events to show how we're using it on North Course. I pretty much already know how we're going to use it on all four track configurations we're going to run next year. Full Course will require us to prioritize it's use.
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days

matt221

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 02:36:28 PM »

With more airfence next year we'll probably looking for more help. VIR has indicated they will assist in some way but we haven't worked out the details yet. As we get closer to the first event I'll post up what we need.

As for this thread I'll start positing up pictures after the March events to show how we're using it on North Course. I pretty much already know how we're going to use it on all four track configurations we're going to run next year. Full Course will require us to prioritize it's use.

Thanks for working so hard to keep us safe John, maybe after next years fundraiser we won't have to prioritize its use at all ;)

Matt Paulson

IRISH
RACING

RADAR Magnet

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 03:22:09 PM »

This is great stuff John.  I'm glad we have dedicated people like you thinking about this stuff so the rest of us can focus on getting better at getting around. 

:thumbup:

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 02:55:31 PM »

Thanks everybody. I'm looking forward to updating this thread with more pictures and descriptions.
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 04:06:23 PM »

What is better than having 9 sections of Airfence at VIR?

Answer...Having 30 sections of Airfence at VIR! :thumbup:
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days

Dunham

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 04:37:07 PM »

What is better than having 9 sections of Airfence at VIR?

Answer...Having 30 sections of Airfence at VIR! :thumbup:

:adore:   :thumbup:
The Motorcyclist Still Known as "Stock Shock John"

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
Benefits of Airfence
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 06:39:19 PM »

John I promise you put it out I will try not to use it

Mike Ruhe
Partner P.R.E.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 05:53:41 AM by Ruhe52 »
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder- Owner

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 10:16:51 AM »

John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days

bmrboy

• Ride like the Wind !!
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 03:00:53 PM »

That's is some Beautiful stuff ....      :agree:    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :D :D :D :D  :adore: :adore: :adore:  :idea: :idea: :idea:

M.GRADY ...
2011 GSXR-750 [A]
Become Water ..

MBB1

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 06:33:57 PM »

John,
 That air fence looks so good, that my HOA might even approve of it!  :wow:
R/
GDFTHR
SICILIAN RACING
"Well Done Is Better Than Well Said"

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 06:39:27 PM »

It's definitely nice to have and the efforts all of us have put in are definitely worth it. :thumbup:
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 09:10:23 AM »

This is why we are doing what we are doing. For those of you who were at this years fundraiser you heard me tell my story. For those who weren't there this tells it better than I ever could.

From Debbie Newton, mother of Bryan Andrews:

Bryan Andrews, here are all your biker brothers and sisters gathered in body and spirit to improve biker safety! I know you are proud as I am of all the hard work and support they put into this even each year since you and others met their glory . I am grateful they embraced you , that they embraced me and more importantly , they have allowed me to embrace them! I feel a closeness to you when I am with them and a sadness when I leave them. In the end, this event is now about and for them, their safety and for their families , as you and others have moved on to a higher plane. I am in gratitude for the work they do , for the fellowship and support they give to each other, it's a beautiful thing to witness. You are remembered and cherished by so many and for that I remain grateful and blessed for the privilege of sharing in your life , know your joy remains in our hearts, Mom
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 09:15:10 AM »

For those that didn't have the chance to know Bryan.

Bryan Andrews, Robin Lord, Lesley Allen, and Leigh Plimmer.

John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Page created in 0.616 seconds with 25 queries.