Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Salvageable Forks?  (Read 2872 times)

bluers

Salvageable Forks?
« on: October 13, 2014, 06:41:51 AM »

Had a buddy with a set of forks off a salvage bike he bought for the motor. The forks appear to be straight with the only damage being to the top caps and a ding in the tube. My questions is- are they worth rebuilding? Is the damage to bad?

DanQ

• Geriatric
Re: Salvageable Forks?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 07:06:42 AM »

The first I would do with those is see if the upper and lower tubes can be twisted 360 degrees without stopping or dragging significantly.  If not, they are substantially bent.  If they don't appear to be grossly bent you may be able to get by with new caps as long as the inner tube clears the dent.

Showa forks are pretty common and it would be pretty easy to locate a set in better condition.  I would not use those unless I was in a real pinch.
DanQ

bluers

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 07:32:11 AM »

The first I would do with those is see if the upper and lower tubes can be twisted 360 degrees without stopping or dragging significantly.  If not, they are substantially bent.  If they don't appear to be grossly bent you may be able to get by with new caps as long as the inner tube clears the dent.

Showa forks are pretty common and it would be pretty easy to locate a set in better condition.  I would not use those unless I was in a real pinch.

Thanks. I think the forks are straight. Story with the bike is that it was 12 o'clocked causing the damage. I don't even need them really. I plan on upgrading/ refreshing my forks in the off season and when these came up I figured it would be nice if I could rebuild these and keep mine as a back up.

Fluidology, Inc.

• PRE Vendor
  • Speed cost money, how fast do you wanna go?
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 08:09:11 AM »

I sent you a pm on the forks.
Steven Breckenridge
Fluidology, Inc.
Fluidology@comcast.net

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 22 queries.