Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: another tire question  (Read 6997 times)

cartmen34

another tire question
« on: September 19, 2014, 07:40:45 PM »

Dunlop specific this time

Last Monday I swapped tires at lunch (thanks a bunch John for swapping the tire so quickly for me!). 

I went from a:
KR449 190/55 7455 compound slick

to a:
211GPA 190/60 7455 compound

Now my question is this.  The slick tire wore great.  Never had any odd wear patterns on either side and was always in pretty good shape its entire life.  However, the new 211 has this weird ring around its right side.  (See pic).  For both tires I used the exact same warming and pressure recommendations that Dunlop recommends: 33/23 hot off the warmers.   This is the first time I've ever noticed odd wear patterns and I've been running 211s and Dunlop slicks for a couple years now.

Should I be worried or am I making much ado about nothing?

crash675

Re: another tire question
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 07:48:57 PM »

I get the same thing on the right side on 211 gpa. I have not made the switch some to slicks yet.
D Reagan
Wera Novice #320
09 zx6
09 675

Taylor 22

• Control Rider
  • Humiliated in human form
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 08:54:48 PM »

No worries!!! I have the same wear on my 211's. I was actually look'n at it today, I think a small adjustment to the rear suspension will clean a lot of that wear up.
Get'n on the gas nicely!!!!!  :D.      T
Taylor Wells
PRE CSR
www.ridepre.com
info@ridepre.com

'15 r6 #22
'03 yz250f #22
'01 xr100 #22

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 06:11:25 AM »

Part of that is the abrasiveness (sharpness of the aggregate) of the track. Even with a slick and a harder compound I still get heavy wear on the rear tire. Once the new surface at VIR gets worn in more that will definitely settle down. 
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

cartmen34

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 09:02:58 AM »

Ok thanks for the input everybody!  I'll keep doing things the way I have been.

Taylor22: I know just enough about suspension to know that I don't know enough and that I probably shouldn't touch it.  lol  The only thing I've done to it is had it set for my weight by Jim at Maxspeedcycles.  I think my next upgrade to the bike will be a consult & parts from a suspension expert.

Taylor 22

• Control Rider
  • Humiliated in human form
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 10:38:18 AM »

Ok thanks for the input everybody!  I'll keep doing things the way I have been.

Taylor22: I know just enough about suspension to know that I don't know enough and that I probably shouldn't touch it.  lol  The only thing I've done to it is had it set for my weight by Jim at Maxspeedcycles.  I think my next upgrade to the bike will be a consult & parts from a suspension expert.
:D I know about as much!!  :D

Something I do know is good equipment and good set up will make it easier to go faster!!!!      T

( my audition for the "captain obvious" commercials on TV)  :rofl:
Taylor Wells
PRE CSR
www.ridepre.com
info@ridepre.com

'15 r6 #22
'03 yz250f #22
'01 xr100 #22

Domito

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 01:21:52 PM »

I had the same type of wear on my rear tire.  I know squat about tires and suspension setups but I try to pick up what I can from the interwebs.  From what I could tell, it looks like cold tearing from too much pressure.  I wondering if going down a few psi would help.

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 02:41:51 PM »

Don't over think this. It's not cold tearing and it's not a suspension issue. I can show you the same wear on my tire and I promise the pressure is correct, and the suspension is correct.
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days

cartmen34

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 03:08:42 PM »

Don't over think this. It's not cold tearing and it's not a suspension issue. I can show you the same wear on my tire and I promise the pressure is correct, and the suspension is correct.

That works for me.  Thanks John!  And thanks again for the super quick tire change over lunch on Monday!

crash675

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 03:51:27 PM »

JRA is right. I check pressure right before going on the track and as soon as I come off. Pressure on climbs about 1/2 psi...not quite over inflated at 23.5 hot.
D Reagan
Wera Novice #320
09 zx6
09 675

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 04:09:07 PM »

Not a great picture but you get the idea.

John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days

Steve Gould

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 08:53:02 PM »

At VIR with the new surface you have a lot more grip and generate more heat. I have found that if I inflate the hot pressure by a half to one lb of pressure I clean up that funky wear pattern.

moto1320

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 08:24:26 AM »

I had a similar thing but understandibly worse with a soft compound and my pressures were spot on off the website. I hoped to experiment with some pressures and a 7455 as suggested above, if I can get my butt back out this year. I emailed race tire services and was pretty much told it was the new pavement. The tire was just shagged, but my concern was that it happened all at once in one session after lunch...perfect to trashed.

You may have just started pushing harder. The new surface was polishing my tires and actually making them look better for the first couple of days after the new pavement. After the track walk Steve and John enlightened me as to how hard they were on the gas through the roller coaster and hog pen compared to what I was doing. So, I started picking up the throttle way more/earlier through there. The lap times showed several seconds of improvement immediately but the tires started to protest too...lots of loading forces coming down that hill and from the gas at the same time. No regrets :)

Steve Gould

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 08:55:05 AM »

I had a similar thing but understandibly worse with a soft compound and my pressures were spot on off the website. I hoped to experiment with some pressures and a 7455 as suggested above, if I can get my butt back out this year. I emailed race tire services and was pretty much told it was the new pavement. The tire was just shagged, but my concern was that it happened all at once in one session after lunch...perfect to trashed.

You may have just started pushing harder. The new surface was polishing my tires and actually making them look better for the first couple of days after the new pavement. After the track walk Steve and John enlightened me as to how hard they were on the gas through the roller coaster and hog pen compared to what I was doing. So, I started picking up the throttle way more/earlier through there. The lap times showed several seconds of improvement immediately but the tires started to protest too...lots of loading forces coming down that hill and from the gas at the same time. No regrets :)

Thats cool that you picked up that much time!! I started using Peanuts quote "Your laptime is made right here" as we were standing on the curbing to 15.

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 23 queries.