Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Roller Coaster through Hog Pen  (Read 4067 times)

RADAR Magnet

Roller Coaster through Hog Pen
« on: September 13, 2014, 09:05:09 AM »

In prepping for VIR this week I'd like to get some input on how to roll through the roller coaster and hog pen, particularly the middle turns (15 - 17).  I tend to roll on the throttle a bit coming through 15, then gas it a bit more for the short straight but grabbing a touch of brake before tipping in for 16.  I roll through it and 17 with the throttle cracked to ease the load on the front end since it's downhill.  Then I continue to open the throttle through 17a and on to the straight.  All of this is in third gear.   

I'm wondering how this compares to the faster guys; I feel kind of slow through this section and am wondering if guys are just railing through there; I can't seem to help grabbing a little brake before 16.  To take it a bit further, my drive out of 17a sucked the other day and I wasn't consistently reaching 6th gear before or by the time I was at the kink. 

I'm happy to work with one of the CRs Monday but wanted to throw it out here too.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.       

JVance

Re: Roller Coaster through Hog Pen
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 09:35:19 AM »

Sounds like you have it about right. What you can do to get faster is get on the gas earlier and harder out of 15. You want to get the throttle to the stop in that section. I think most will feather the brake for 16. But it is just a touch. The drive out of the hog pin starts as soon as you flip the bike back over to the right for 17. I mean as soon as you get it back going right. By the apex of 17 you really can have the throttle to the stop. I will go to 2nd gear for T14 and get a little bit of a spurt between 14 and 15. The drive you get between 15 and 16 really starts out of 14. There isn't much room there but there is enough time to open the throttle for a bit. I'll shift to 3rd as I am transitioning from 14 to 15 (I use standard shift). As soon as the bike loads the suspension for T15 I want to get the throttle to the stop ASAP. Guys who use GP shift will keep 2nd for a little longer and shift up between 15 and 16. There is a fine line between being smooth and getting the throttle open as fast as possible. On a 600 you really don't want to waste a lot of time "rolling" on the throttle. That "roll on" is going to be pretty quick actually. If you didn't spin the tire you can open the throttle more aggressively.

I'll be there Monday. Look me up if you want, bike #607. I'll be happy to give you a tow down the hill.

JVance

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 09:44:21 AM »

Not to go on and on, but going on and on... Once you get the theory of how to get around the track, which in this example it sounds like you have the right plan. Then it is time to start getting the throttle open earlier, more aggressively and hold it longer. I also notice that some don't actually get the throttle to the stop, even on the straight. Depending on how flexible you wrist is you may only be getting it 95% open. Anytime you are accelerating the idea is to get the throttle to the stop. Doesn't mean you can always do it but the mentality should be to get it ALL the way open. That's not just twisting your wrist, that is making sure you are twisting it until it stops, try to twist the grip off the throttle tube haha. Faster = more time at wide open throttle (assuming of course yOu are in the right gear and have the RPMs close to peak Hp).

John

RADAR Magnet

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 11:06:07 AM »

John, thanks a lot.  That's a lot of great info.  Glad to know I have it mostly right; don't know if I'm taking throttle to stop but am guessing not; that's a really great point and I will be more conscious of it on Monday; I'll also be sure to look you up and get a tow.  Thanks again. 

GDFTHR

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 04:36:19 PM »

RADAR,

Are you  running STOCK gearing? If you are then I would say you are right there...

I'm on a 600 but with gearing, I'm 1 down on the front and 2 up on the back. I turn into roller coaster in 3rd and accelerate to red line down the hill with just light trail into 16. As I transition back over to the right, I click 4th and roll the throttle to the stop. As I come out of Hog Pin I have plenty of acceleration and I'm clicking 6th before the kink.

I'm not that smart or fast, but I would have to say that your gearing is going to determine what gear you will be in? Yeah, I think I just wasted you time... :D

R/
GDFTHR

repoe3

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 09:29:05 AM »

Screwdriver hands...just need your screwdriver hands :P

I also notice that some don't actually get the throttle to the stop, even on the straight. Depending on how flexible you wrist is you may only be getting it 95% open. Anytime you are accelerating the idea is to get the throttle to the stop.

John

Otto Man

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 02:59:00 PM »

RADAR,

Are you  running STOCK gearing? If you are then I would say you are right there...

I'm on a 600 but with gearing, I'm 1 down on the front and 2 up on the back. I turn into roller coaster in 3rd and accelerate to red line down the hill with just light trail into 16. As I transition back over to the right, I click 4th and roll the throttle to the stop. As I come out of Hog Pin I have plenty of acceleration and I'm clicking 6th before the kink.

I'm not that smart or fast, but I would have to say that your gearing is going to determine what gear you will be in? Yeah, I think I just wasted you time... :D

R/
GDFTHR

Understatement of the year!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
WERA Expert #37

kawaholic

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 03:58:59 PM »

lol :agree: :haha: :cheers:

bmrboy

• Ride like the Wind !!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 04:45:20 PM »

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

You jumped in your own shit ,  both feet ....  :doh: :doh:
M.GRADY ...
2011 GSXR-750 [A]
Become Water ..

GDFTHR

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 07:12:03 PM »

I guess that is my main fault, Being Honest? :dunno:

R/
GDFTHR

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 23 queries.