Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: slick question  (Read 8749 times)

JRA

• Administrator
Re: slick question
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 05:13:24 AM »

From what I can see from your pics those tires look pretty tired to me. I might have a different opinion if I saw them in person but I doubt it. If you want to give race tires a try my advice would be to buy a new set, or at least get a really good set of take offs.
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

Taylor 22

• Control Rider
  • Humiliated in human form
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 07:52:09 AM »

From what I can see from your pics those tires look pretty tired to me. I might have a different opinion if I saw them in person but I doubt it. If you want to give race tires a try my advice would be to buy a new set, or at least get a really good set of take offs.

I started off with street tires in 04", after a few track days my track friends said I should go with a race tire?  I said why????
 Well... Keep in mind you are not on the street.... The street stuff is good to start with but as you learn the tracks you will get faster...you will (or can)out ride the street equipment.

I've seen folks get away with a lot w/ street tires ( myself included) but I learned the hard way that I was NOT ON THE STREET!!!! Very expensive, very painful and very unnecessary!!!!    But some lessons are. :doh: :D :clap:   T

Sorry!!!!!    Dunlop N-TEC's are worth every penny!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 07:54:12 AM by Taylor 22 »
Taylor Wells
PRE CSR
www.ridepre.com
info@ridepre.com

'15 r6 #22
'03 yz250f #22
'01 xr100 #22

wallacew

• Kenne Bell Twin Screw
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 08:08:30 AM »

Ditto
WERA Exp#333
'11 BMW S1KRR
2013 Mid-Central & NOLA Region A-SS & A-SB Champ
New Life Bible Church RACING

bmrboy

• Ride like the Wind !!
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2014, 07:28:02 PM »

[/quote]

N-TEC's yummy track candy !!!!      :agree:
M.GRADY ...
2011 GSXR-750 [A]
Become Water ..

sportracer07

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 08:49:44 PM »

Does a slick provide any more (lean angle) than a 211 or 212.  The slicks i have look like u could lean alot more than the q2's i have been using? Just wondering if the gp's are the same proile as a slick?

bmrboy

• Ride like the Wind !!
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 09:35:52 PM »

The BEST information you can get is from Race Tire Service .. U.S. Distributor of
Dunlop Tires ...  615-641-3323 ....   Any one that you talk to there is an expert !!!!!
Those folks now their stuff !!  They will give you the best up to date information ...   :thumbup:
They will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know and what tire will be the best for your application......
M.GRADY ...
2011 GSXR-750 [A]
Become Water ..

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 05:24:26 AM »

Does a slick provide any more (lean angle) than a 211 or 212.  The slicks i have look like u could lean alot more than the q2's i have been using? Just wondering if the gp's are the same proile as a slick?

You'd really have to go into the weeds to determine whether you can get any more absolute lean angle from a slick. Generally speaking slicks should have more grip so in theory I'd have to say yes, they should give you more lean angle.

The tire sizes are different (at least the rear) so the profiles should be different. Just because the front size is the same it doesn't mean the profile is though. They are using the USA slicks in AMA Superbike now so they are developing those tires to run on those bikes. The GPA's are being developed for the Daytona Sportbikes. The requirements between those two classes are very different so I would say the tires and constructions are different. It doesn't mean you can't run the slicks on a 600 or the GPA's on a 1000 though. I've done both and it's fine.

There are a lot of variables and the tires are constantly evolving, and the UK tires you have are different than the USA tires.  Remember that a lot of things affect how far you can actually lean. Bike set up, body position, ambient temperature, tire compound; all this stuff is a factor. Ultimately it comes down to the rider as to how mow much they can take advantage of what any race tire offers over a street tire. I will add though, that I think you get away with more using a race tire. For instance a mistake you make on the Q2 might put you on your head, whereas the same mistake on a race tire with more grip might not. I think if you were to ask him Brubaker will tell you that any of the race tires they make will give you more available grip at any pace than their Q2 will. So as I said before, in theory that means you should be able to lean over farther before you fall. It's not a given though that you will actually go faster. That's up to the rider.

If you are trying to decide what is right for you here are the things I think you should consider (not what might give you more lean angle).
Slicks last longer than DOT race tires
The bigger rear slick might be a problem depending on how much room you have between you axle and the swingarm (how long you chain is)
Slicks are harder to sell as takeoffs (street riders want to buy DOT's)
Both Slicks and DOT's can be flipped front and rear
Price

If you just want to make the move to race tires then go with the GPA's and see what you think, you can always try the slicks next time around. If you are on a 600 probably a medium front and medium rear. Medium + rear if you want it to last longer or are on a 1000.

John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

crash675

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2014, 06:48:49 AM »

You'd really have to go into the weeds to determine whether you can get any more absolute lean angle from a slick. Generally speaking slicks should have more grip so in theory I'd have to say yes, they should give you more lean angle.

The tire sizes are different (at least the rear) so the profiles should be different. Just because the front size is the same it doesn't mean the profile is though. They are using the USA slicks in AMA Superbike now so they are developing those tires to run on those bikes. The GPA's are being developed for the Daytona Sportbikes. The requirements between those two classes are very different so I would say the tires and constructions are different. It doesn't mean you can't run the slicks on a 600 or the GPA's on a 1000 though. I've done both and it's fine.

There are a lot of variables and the tires are constantly evolving, and the UK tires you have are different than the USA tires.  Remember that a lot of things affect how far you can actually lean. Bike set up, body position, ambient temperature, tire compound; all this stuff is a factor. Ultimately it comes down to the rider as to how mow much they can take advantage of what any race tire offers over a street tire. I will add though, that I think you get away with more using a race tire. For instance a mistake you make on the Q2 might put you on your head, whereas the same mistake on a race tire with more grip might not. I think if you were to ask him Brubaker will tell you that any of the race tires they make will give you more available grip at any pace than their Q2 will. So as I said before, in theory that means you should be able to lean over farther before you fall. It's not a given though that you will actually go faster. That's up to the rider.

If you are trying to decide what is right for you here are the things I think you should consider (not what might give you more lean angle).
Slicks last longer than DOT race tires
The bigger rear slick might be a problem depending on how much room you have between you axle and the swingarm (how long you chain is)
Slicks are harder to sell as takeoffs (street riders want to buy DOT's)
Both Slicks and DOT's can be flipped front and rear
Price

If you just want to make the move to race tires then go with the GPA's and see what you think, you can always try the slicks next time around. If you are on a 600 probably a medium front and medium rear. Medium + rear if you want it to last longer or are on a 1000.
Always an encyclopedia of useful advice.
D Reagan
Wera Novice #320
09 zx6
09 675

JVance

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2014, 07:12:17 AM »

Might as well give my opinion: Buy slicks, buy new, flip the rear after every 2 trackdays (maybe every track day depending on wear), use 2 rears to one front. On a 600 with decent suspension set up and on a track that is NOT CMP you can get 6-8 trackdays out of 2 rears and one front. I say buy new and stick with a brand, compound and series tire. Keep your tires as consistent as possible, no reason to add variables and complicate things. IMO new tires are a better value than take-offs (unless the take offs are free, you don't care about lap time and are just out to have a little fun). If you are trying to improve keep variables to a minimum.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 23 queries.