Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Tire options  (Read 236 times)

Ansleywynn

Tire options
« on: January 02, 2021, 02:01:47 PM »

Quick version: at what point/pace should one really consider moving to slicks from race DOT’s?

When returning to the track after about 7 years, I was quickly surprised by all the steps forward in technologies in so “little” time.  Protective gear has come sooooo far in comfort and affordability. Helmets are cooler and lighter. There are legit aero wings on production bikes...  it’s amazing what I missed.

The most stark was the newer rubber compounds.

I spent 2020 jumping around a bit just to check out some of the options. This year, I intend to choose a donut and stick with it.

As such, I first need to decide if I will be running slicks this year.

I generally have been running  toward the front of intermediate groups.  2nd gen r6. This was on cup2’s and supercorsa’s.

I tend to run my rubber to the bands, and was getting about 2.5-3 days out of these before the grip in back would start to roll off. (Would still run them to 3.5-4 days though)

Loved the Michelin cup on the front. Seemed to prefer the pirelli rear, although that could have just been me getting confidence back after being out of the sport for so long.

Either way- I am clearly pushing the front at times on turn in, and by the end of the season was having to monitor my exits at times to drive through some slipping on select corners.  I know there are technique tweaks to be learned to better allow the rubber to work its magic-

but wonder what the more experienced consensus is on when to switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-A2thaWizzo- #421

03 R6
01 futura
03 sprint
2025 world champion (pending tech and/or reality protest)

Spinak 627

• Control Rider
  • There is no spoon
Re: Tire options
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 02:06:15 PM »

No reason not to start running them now. Do it

I run Dunlops because they are at the track and readily available. MotoAmerica uses them so I know they are much more tire than I could ask of it. A lot of guys are Pirelli fans. I have a feeling I'd really like Pirellis if I ever tried them, but I am going to stick at what's available at the racetrack.
Matt Spinak
CCS Expert #627

RocketDan

• Control Rider
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 04:05:39 PM »

You are already running race compound tires. Yes they are DOT approved but those are no different than their slick counterparts other than rain sipes That said, there isn’t much reason to not run slicks. They cost a little more, but I find I get better tire life out of a slick.

And it does make sense to pick one brand and stick with it. As you continue to get faster it helps to have a consistent variable as you work on finding time.

All the brands make a great tire. I would choose the one that has the best support for your circumstances. PRE provides Dunlop tire service so they are easy to get and there are a lot of riders who can help with data on pressures. There are also a lot of guys running Pirelli so you can usually find someone to compare notes with. I hear good things about Michelin but don’t see them as frequently.

Daniel Hughes
2015 R1

Ansleywynn

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 07:36:06 AM »

Thanks for the responses!

I guess my only hold up has been the need for rain tires when running slicks. Maybe it’s just time to bite the bullet and get a spare set of wheels

-A2thaWizzo- #421

03 R6
01 futura
03 sprint

RocketDan

• Control Rider
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 08:26:15 AM »

Thanks for the responses!

I guess my only hold up has been the need for rain tires when running slicks. Maybe it’s just time to bite the bullet and get a spare set of wheels

Rains are amazing! Real rain tires have amazing grip. DOT tire can’t even compare

Daniel Hughes
2015 R1

Ansleywynn

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 10:30:24 AM »

You right about that!    Know any Yamaha gurus that can help decide what wheels I can use-  cursory searches bring up mixed results.

-A2thaWizzo- #421

03 R6
01 futura
03 sprint

Viffer

• Control Rider
    • Max Speed Cycles
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 03:41:49 PM »

This is Jim from Max Speed Cycles and we are the Vendors for PRE.  We carry Dunlop slicks in the popular sizes and compounds as well as Q3's and Q4's.  My suggestion is like Dan was saying, you are already running race compound tires and your bike looks like a dedicated track bike so by all means make the switch to slicks.  We are at every PRE event and have tires and Tire Warmers at every event.  We also do suspension set ups at the track as well.  We would be glad to help you in any way we can.  We also have a shop in Kernersville NC and do all kinds of modifications and Dyno tuning.  Let us know if we can help.  Feel free to call the shop with any questions.   336-993-6661

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 23 queries.