Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Best small cc track bike?  (Read 437 times)

RickyBobby

Best small cc track bike?
« on: April 20, 2020, 11:47:41 AM »

Hey gang,

I test rode an R3 last year and had a blast flogging that thing around VIR North. I'm slightly entertaining the thought of adding a little bike to the paddock some day. I thought it would be fun to do, especially if I could talk a few friends into it, too!

My question is which one? and why? I was thinking R3 or Ninja 300 as you can find them pretty cheap (often salvage) and I see them around the track pretty often. I'm not thinking about doing too much to it, but wondered which one has better aftermarket, shock swap possibilities, parts availability, etc.

During this Covid thing we need things like this to occupy our minds. I really just want to get out there again on what I have!!!
I Group
K7 GSXR750

RocketDan

• Control Rider
Re: Best small cc track bike?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 12:33:16 PM »

I think both will have pretty readily available aftermarket parts. I had a Ninja 300 a little while back and know the basics for setting one up. I think the Ninja would cost a little less to get track ready than the R3.

But I think the R3 has a little more power and a slightly better chassis to start with.

I will say it is a blast to flog the little bike around the track. Riding one for a season taught me a lot about riding.

Daniel Hughes
2015 R1

79bikes

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 12:33:25 PM »

I love my 696 pogo stick

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 06:37:17 PM »

Ninja 400 but why?
I say learn to ride the pace of your group on a 600 or 1000 and don’t drop down to the smaller bike as an excuse to not keep up

Sent from Spinak’s samsuck phone
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

Mobile: 404-435-8427

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 02:38:48 AM »

And of course that was the original reason for buying my SV. Seriously I don’t think you could go wrong with the R3 or either ninja. Seems to be a healthy spares market and aftermarket. 
I have been toying with R3 build ideas.
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

TGRIFF

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 05:40:46 PM »

I haven't ridden the R3 or 300 hundred, but I still putter around on a ninja 250 at times and it's great. I may frustrate a few of the faster guys at times but i don't think it's too bad. If you do get one, I definitely won't mind playing with you.

jsnonzzr

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 12:20:18 PM »

The Ninja 300 and the r3 are pretty well developed at this point.  I went with the 300 because My wife wasn't riding.  I bought my second one because it was well built. I was looking for a 400, but I couldn't stomach the cost of the 400 and then spending all the money upgrading.  If I was racing I would pick the best bike for the class, but I doubt I will ever get to that point.  If not racing, I would pick the best bike thats been developed the most.

Hit me up if your interested in going this route.  i know someone (me) that would be interested in selling 2 ninja 300s or any combination of my 300 stuff.

1 of them was built by ready to race and was a front runner doing a decent bit of winning (dont have the bikes full list of wins).  Engine was reworked,  Ktech suspension ECU flashed  and PC5.  Upgraded master cylinder full exhaust and a bunch more.  The other is much more stock with gsxr shock, gold valves and springs in the front.  and some other minor items.  I also have some spare parts including a full set of wheels with rain tires.

jsnonzzr

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 12:27:45 PM »

And of course that was the original reason for buying my SV. Seriously I don’t think you could go wrong with the R3 or either ninja. Seems to be a healthy spares market and aftermarket. 
I have been toying with R3 build ideas.

If you build one, Spears racing is a pretty good shop I have bought stuff from.  They carry stuff for the r3 as well as the 300's and I think 400s and some sv650 stuff.  Guy there is pretty knowledgeable, but Im sure your much closer to his level of knowledge then I am.

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 08:56:04 AM »

I have a pretty good source to copy an R3. Have done biz with Spear a number of times over the years.
AP is a good source as well as Greens for Yamaha bits.

Sent from Spinak’s samsuck phone
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 36 queries.