Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What hand tool brand(s) do you use? Why?  (Read 1041 times)

bigshug1

What hand tool brand(s) do you use? Why?
« on: February 20, 2020, 01:55:54 PM »

My grandfather was the handiest man on the planet...sincerely, he was. When he passed, all of his tools (but almost none of his handiness) was transferred to me...

Currently in my rotation are Craftsman, Kobalt, Husky, Bondhus, Motion Pro...and probably others that I can't recall right this second.

Looking to replace my 1/2 ratchet...because it just feels cruddy...and another 3/8 ratchet...because it also feels cruddy. Both are Craftsman.

I have mechanic friends who rave about Snap-On...and our good friends over at Westby racing use Beta tools...and our maintenance crew at Abbott use (mostly) Blue Point - all of which are allegedly better quality than anything I have, right?

I wrench on my bikes quite a bit. I don’t mind paying a little more $$$ for good stuff. At least weekly I’m finding something to adjust/replace/repair/tighten/loosen...and I’m curious what all of YOU choose to put in your toolboxes.

Pictures of what you have would be even better...bring that sh*t  :D
Shane Carwile
Intermediate Group
2015 Yamaha R6 - #247
2017 Yamaha R6 - (probably) my backup bike :)

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
What hand tool brand(s) do you use? Why?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 05:27:10 AM »

Beta is my next anything. I have a bunch of different brands. Husky snap on matco, silver eagle, craftsman.
Many times comes down to who makes what. Swivel head spinner break bar. Best I have found is snap on.

Yet for small torx sockets found Matco to last longer than most and the small size don’t twist or break as often

Key is to have a good torque wrench and use it. Right Dean?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 05:48:47 AM by 52 Ruhe »
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

Mobile: 404-435-8427

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

JRA

• Administrator
Re: What hand tool brand(s) do you use? Why?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 04:44:48 PM »

The tools I make a living with I purchase for quality and what they can do for me. What they cost is just what they cost. The tools that I use that don't make me money I try to use common sense when purchasing. There might be some things that make sense to buy the high end, but a lot of things (for me) don't really require that. I would think when it comes to 1/2" and 3/8" ratchets that most people don't require snap on quality. Just my 02, but I would say buy what makes sense for you. I can certainly understand wanting high end tools, and if you don't have to sacrifice elsewhere so that you can purchase the really good stuff then go for it. I have a lot of craftsmen, husky, kobalt stuff that has worked fine for me for years.
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

RocketDan

• Control Rider
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 06:06:42 PM »

I use the cheap tools, Stanley I think. Also have some Harbor Freight items for lesser used tools like giant sockets. But what I have I’ve been using for a long time so they have done the job. I do most of my own maintenance and am working on a bike most weekends. But that’s still a pretty small amount of use when you look at it. A mechanic is going to use tools 40+ hours a week. I might use them a couple hours a week with an 8-10 hours a week thrown in a couple times a year. So for me, the lower cost options have worked fine. 

Daniel Hughes
2015 R1

bigshug1

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 09:03:24 PM »

Harbor Freight is dabbling in “premium” tools with their Icon brand...I’ve thought about picking up a few things to see how they feel

But I just can’t get past the name...lol
Shane Carwile
Intermediate Group
2015 Yamaha R6 - #247

RocketDan

• Control Rider
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 09:50:58 AM »

The words Harbor Freight and Premium I just don’t think will ever go together. LOL

Daniel Hughes
2015 R1

bigshug1

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 01:00:34 PM »

The words Harbor Freight and Premium I just don’t think will ever go together. LOL

Daniel Hughes
2015 R1

Maybe the fact that it’s branded as “ICON” is accurate, then  :D
Shane Carwile
Intermediate Group
2015 Yamaha R6 - #247

Shoaf

• Control Rider
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 01:08:09 PM »

As already stated, it's all about how often you need to use them. You could easily spend $100 at harbor freight and get more than enough hand tools to leave in your trailer for use at the track, including the roll cart, battery tender, and rear stand. On the other hand the same $100 dollars on the snap-on truck could get you a 1/4" ratchet!...if it's on special that week. But if you use that ratchet every day for over 10 years you might want the quality. Precision tools such as torque wrench or calipers I would recommend snap on or matco. Allen bits, snap-on no exceptions and you'll thank me later! Power tools- Milwaukee. Air tools- ingersoll rand. I personally try not to buy anything off the tool truck that has an air chuch or batter pack because of this. It's not hard to spend tens of thousands on tools on a tool truck, where as I'm pretty sure $10k at harbor freight gets you a franchise.

MonkeyMan

• Control Rider
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 10:24:48 PM »

For what it's worth I've purchased a number of really decent torque wrenches made by CDI. Someone told me a while ago they also mfg SNAP-On wrenches (I asked and the company confirmed) and I've been impressed by the quality. You can send them back to CDI and they'll recalibrate and/or recertify the torque wrench as needed. YMMV but I'm a believer.
"MonkeyMan" Mike
#413 Yamaha R1M
Flying Monkey Racing
http://www.facebook.com/FlyingMonkeyMotorcycleRacing

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 09:51:25 AM »

Every time I see the thread title ,I for some reason read it as, “what hand do you use for your tool?”

Sent from Spinak’s samsuck phone
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 01:20:16 PM »

Left no right no left left left
Left right right.........

Sent from Spinak’s samsuck phone
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

Viffer

• Control Rider
    • Max Speed Cycles
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 02:00:02 PM »

What Shoaf said about snap-on allen sockets is exactly correct.  I will use nothing but snap-on allens.  They are simply the best and do not round off the many allen bolts on your bike.  Hell they even remove allen bolts that others have jacked up.  When it comes to ratchets and what not there are plenty of quality ones at a decent price, however with allen tools there is no reason not to.  Are they expensive?  Yes.  However what is better stripping the heads out and causing even more work or possibly ruining your track day, or spending money on a quality tool that prevents that.  No brainer.  Also snap-on, matco or mac wrenches are very good and again fit well and do not round off bolt heads.  The open ends also do not spread and ruin bolts as well.  Tools are for a lifetime.  Buy the ones that fit your lifetime.

bigshug1

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2020, 04:05:48 AM »

I hadn’t considered Snap-On Allen sockets - but I’ll look into a set, for sure. I have Bondhus T-handles, but I always stress a little when I use my craftsman Allen sockets...

Good info, here, guys - I appreciate it!

Also - I broke down and picked up an Icon 1/2” ratchet the other day to try it out. What I have in rotation currently feels like I found it at the bottom of the ocean, so we will see whether the HF replacement is as good as they hype it to be...
Shane Carwile
Intermediate Group
2015 Yamaha R6 - #247

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.