Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: CMP, Oct 5 2019, bike 137 crash, session 5 intermediate  (Read 647 times)

djhurayt

CMP, Oct 5 2019, bike 137 crash, session 5 intermediate
« on: February 18, 2020, 10:25:55 AM »

I was the rider and basically do not have a clue as to what I did other than went down, somewhere, somehow, bumped my head pretty good, and pretty much missed the month of October.  So first let me say thanks to anybody that helped gather up me and/or my things.  Second, my apologizes to any delays that were likely caused on my part.

What follows is a bit long winded so on the short story side:
1.   if you know anything about what happened, I would love to talk/e with you
2.   if anybody might happen to have any information on my leathers (as to where they may have ended up), I would love to talk/e with you
3.   if anybody has any medical knowledge on Diffuse Axonal Injury and continuing involvement in our sport, I would love to talk/e with you

As for the long winded part...
I am healing well and expect a full recover, but as I said I really know nothing about what happened.  I cannot even say that I remember feeling that "oh crap what was that" or that "boy this is gonna hurt..." moment.

I know there were various damp conditions throughout the day and suspect was likely involved in my mistake.  I was on the '08 CBR600RR (tires: slicks).  My day regarding session number, tires and damp conditions went as follows:
1.   cool/cold but dry track/weather, in general good opening run of the day, bike felt good
2.   start dry but rain started on lap 2, started coming down hard on lap 3 and decided to head to the trailer rather than saturate my leathers for the remainder of the day
3.   rain had stop, track was damp with minimal standing water areas, was somewhat surprised at the magnitude of poor traction that I experienced on numerous corner exits, took it easy this run and just kind of played with the traction limit
LUNCK BREAK - light rain for a short period
4.   no significant change from last run (#3) prior to lunch, a little dryer overall but still some traction issues
5.   The Event Session:  I know I went out a few moments late, after the main pack had gone green.  I remember thinking traction seems to have improved and suspect I likely tried to see if I could put down a little more power.

Next significant memory, (seven days later, thinking to myself at the time): I began to become aware of lots of medical looking folks around discussing something,  ok self, let's do a self inventory/evaluation ...left arm/hand  but doesn't work well, right arm/hand , left leg/foot , right leg/foot ... hey wait a minute that did respond so well ..."

Just to let all know, right leg/foot is now "" and the left arm/hand was due to a broken left clavicle (collar bone) scapula (shoulder blade) and 4 ribs in the area which are all healing well.  The only remaining issue is the bump on the head which caused a brain injury known as a diffuse axonal injury.  I basically fractured my brain and had a bunch of connections short circuited.  But even those connections seem to be coming back.

So that is how my day went..., what I would like to know is did/does anybody see/know anything about my incident.  As I said I don't even know which turn it happened.  What I have been told by a couple of people is along the lines of: "... well I heard somebody say that you blah blah blah...", but all second hand "I heard ..." information.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 12:53:48 PM by djhurayt »
david
07 Honda CBR600RR
11 H-D XR1200X
08 Husky SMR450

RocketDan

• Control Rider
Re: CMP, Oct 5 2019, bike 137 crash, session 5 intermediate
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 01:09:32 PM »

Hi Dave
It’s good to hear from you and glad that you are improving.

I was the last CR out that session and wasn’t far behind you. I remember seeing you in the right hand line (the line that goes out second) maybe one or two riders back from the front of that line.

You and a few riders went out behind a CR and then I followed with the next group of riders. I didn’t see what started the wreck but did see the end. Between turn two and three I saw the rear of your bike coming around and then fling you off and over the high side of the bike. It looked like a hard hit from my view point.

Again, it’s really good to hear that you are getting better.

Daniel Hughes
2015 R1

djhurayt

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 02:16:26 PM »

Thanks Dan, that at least confirms what I had heard: turn 2 highside.

I have broken a mess of bones during my life but never actually broke my brain (DAI).  Bones are nothing to heal, this brain thing has been a new experience for me.  Nothing like vertical not always being straight up in the air.  All appendages are working now, and vertical is straight up 99% of the time.  It was certainly a bit scary initially when I began to realize I obviously messed something up bad particularly when my right leg would not listen to commands from the grey matter.  And the doctors would tell me something like move your left leg and I would raise my right arm (short circuits in the grey matter)

DAI link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuse_axonal_injury

If anybody else has anything else to add regarding the incident, know of what happened to my ridding suit, and or getting back on the track after something like this DAI, I would love to hear from you.  And any pictures... lets see them.
david
07 Honda CBR600RR
11 H-D XR1200X
08 Husky SMR450

Kyle M

• Not sexy need not apply
  • Control Rider
  • Turn yo' head until you start to Break yo' neck
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 03:28:54 PM »

Second, my apologizes to any delays that were likely caused on my part.

I am so glad to see you posting again, and never apologize for situations like yours.

Sure there are things to learn and corrective actions to take if you view crashes as I do; which is to say, that if I crash I did something wrong. I look at them that way so I can tell myself the positive from a crash is a chance to learn something that may keep me upright in the future. If you crash and just start pointing fingers then you are missing a chance to improve.

Once we learned it was serious and a life flight was en route; all thoughts change from missing track time to thinking of nothing but your safety and well being. Heal up quick and I hope people can provide the info you are looking for.
Kyle Mathews
09 RM R1 #33

MonkeyMan

• Control Rider
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 04:44:17 PM »

Hi Dave,

Glad to hear you're on the mend. As Kyle said there's no need to apologize - sometimes things happen at the racetrack and we're all just glad you're doing better!

While I have no info to add about the on track experience myself and three other CRs packed up your trailer. We weren't quite sure where everything went but tried to follow what looked obvious. Hope all of your equipment made it back OK!!

As for your suit - my assumption would be that it was removed (probably cut off) either en route to the hospital or once you got there. You might want to check with them and tell them you're hoping to get a souvenir but chances are it's been disposed of.
"MonkeyMan" Mike
#413 Yamaha R1M
Flying Monkey Racing
http://www.facebook.com/FlyingMonkeyMotorcycleRacing

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 04:04:49 AM »

David, it's good to see you back on the message board. I responded to your email so check your inbox.

Regarding the head injury and getting back on the track please listen to whatever your doctors are telling you. I know it's not a good idea to risk another TBI so soon after being hurt initially. Give your brain time to heal and get the all clear from the doctor before resuming. Once he gives you the go ahead then I would get back on the horse.  :thumbup:
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

tunnelvision748

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 06:15:06 AM »

Welcome back David, happy to hear your doing better. No need to apologize for the delays, I can say from where I was standing along the fence watching the response crew working on you, everyone around me was genuinely concerned for your well being and rooting for you.

That weekend was crazy, I remember many crashes in all groups.

I didn’t see how your crash occurred, but I do know it was around 2-3 like the CR’s mentioned.  I remember you stopping by my pit as you where heading out.  I cautioned you about some oil that was still drying on the track in the first few corners and then wished you a fun ride.

After that I knew the session was running until it stopped and everyone went to the fence to check on you from the pit area.

I don’t know much about your injury, but it sounds like you may have to take it easy for a while before you get back on.

I’m sorry to hear the accident had such consequences, but your still with us and I’m sure your family is happy about that too.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Ps.. still have the tires you gave me, gonna get some use out as soon as I burn through the new rear tire I just mounted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djhurayt

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 10:50:23 AM »

Kyle, I agree 100%.  The track didn't put me down, the bike didn't do it either, it was purely rider error...

Mike, thank you very much everything (with the exception of the rider) made it home just fine.  Please be sure to send my thanks to the other CRs that helped.

John. thank you for your words, thoughts and prayers...

Andrew (and any others) thanks ALL for any prayers, thoughts, help along the way.  I consider my self very luck to be on this side of the dirt and in general no worse for the wear.

Hope to see you all soon,
david
david
07 Honda CBR600RR
11 H-D XR1200X
08 Husky SMR450

Lscollin

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 05:19:13 PM »

Hey David! So sorry to hear about your injuries, but happy that you’re doing better! I’m a Physical Therapist and work with a lot of concussed patients and have some background in severe TBI. I’m happy to offer any insight or direct you to appropriate medical professionals that may be able to assist in your recovery.

Lauren

djhurayt

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 10:18:42 AM »

Thanks Lauren for the kind words.  If you have any statistical information on the chance of a repeat of the same injury, that would be awesome.  I have not been able to find much data on this.

Here are my thoughts:
1.   I am pretty lucky to be in the shape I am in as my understanding is that for 90% of people that experience a DAI, recovery may be a somewhat (if not significantly) vegetative state if not death.
2.   I know a number of people (including myself through the years) that have experience concussions, even a severe level of injury, but…
3.   I don’t personally know anybody that has experience a DAI while being concussed.

So, based on number 1 above, do I take my winnings (an un-vegetative life and being on the sunny side of the dirt) and not put myself at risk for a repeat occurrence.  Not really looking forward to retirement years (only a hand full of years away) of competitive tiddlywinks.

Or while motorcyclist are always going to fall over at some point (after all by design, motorcycle like to lay on their side), and bumping one’s head hard enough to cause a concussion is always a possibility (even just from walking on a slippery sidewalk) are the chance of having another DAI reduced just due the statistics of how often a DAI is experience with head injuries.

As I said, I am one of the older guys (been on this rock for almost 6 decades now) and I know I do not bounce as well as when younger.  I have always been an adrenaline junkie.  Even to the point that I am left handed these days after deciding I was going to surf down the sliding board at the age of 4.  Was in a cast/sling for so long that I just became left handed…maybe it is time for tiddlywinks.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 01:32:44 PM by djhurayt »
david
07 Honda CBR600RR
11 H-D XR1200X
08 Husky SMR450

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 01:00:01 PM »

So TBI and other head injuries are cumulative. No I am not a doctor but I have insured MLB, NFL, NHL NBA as well as MLS and various other professional sports organizations.
Obviously with the issues surrounding CTE insurers have spent money to understand .... well frankly how to exclude it. As a broker I have done research in an effort to keep carriers providing cover or at least not excluding TBI and CTE concussive injury for my clients.

Having had prior concussion ( I believe I understood you to mention that) and then suffer a “ bell ringer” of your classification I will say 2 things. 1. Medical clearance from your brain doc. Not lay people with their personal experience even, is not the same as yours. All TBI are unique. 2. You are lucky as 27 days after a good friend of ours woke up from his TBI then was transported to Sheppard here in Atlanta I got to witness a friend revert back to being a 3 year old for more than a year. Bri is rockstar now 100% mental with a bum shoulder.
Take your time. Go slow and pay attention to cognitive reactions. Even the most mundane confusion ( no head injury but happens to me at 51) make mention of that to your care team.
Do not ever just accept something out of character as nothing.
Mood changes or lack of reaction to stuff are signs.
Just be extra sensitive to your body, vision, hearing.

Glad you are on recovery. Go slow be deliberate with recovery.

Oh and odds of reoccurring head injury with lower impact. Yes that’s a thing.  Watch your noggin’

Sent from Spinak’s samsuck phone
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

Mobile: 404-435-8427

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

djhurayt

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 10:45:29 AM »

Mike: insurance world...??? you may have access to some of the data I am trying to find.
Basically I am curious on: of the people that fall off of motorcycles and hit there head, how often do DAIs occur.
Even my wife has commented that if I had been laying there with a bunch of broken bones (which I have done over the course of my life) it would have been far better than the broken brain and not knowing if I would be 6 or 60 when/if I woke up.

And yes I have been cleared by the neurosurgeon.  I have done all the reaction time testing.  Passed with above average or superior results in all categories of the 8 hour neuropsych test.

BTW, I am a mechanical engineer, therefore the reason for my interest in data.  If you have any I would love to see it.

My only real shortcoming is my internal conflict over having been very luck for 58 years doing some pretty dangerous stuff, and having a damn good time doing, to maybe its time to start slowing down a little bit and pick up less dangerous activities.

BTW, I am a firm believer of the sayin "you don't slow down because you get old, you get old because you slow down".  I think, ???, because getting older (not old) is a priority and maybe I just need to work on have that next birthday...

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 10:51:57 AM by djhurayt »
david
07 Honda CBR600RR
11 H-D XR1200X
08 Husky SMR450

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 06:30:00 AM »

There is a ton of data out there. I don’t specifically have data on motorcycle accidents involving head trauma. The stuff I have I had to sign a NDA so did our underwriters.

Even with data on wrecks there is so many variables to consider that could skew head impacts. Even by type. Glancing, hard impact. Multiple hits. Etc.

Glad you are recovering.
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

Mobile: 404-435-8427

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 36 queries.