Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fiberglass repair??? What do you do?  (Read 496 times)

bigshug1

Fiberglass repair??? What do you do?
« on: January 13, 2020, 03:55:19 PM »

Mocked up some Armour Bodies bodywork...just like I’ve done over and over in the past...but race bodywork always seems to fit just *okay* and now I have a couple of holes in my belly pan that I’m not 100% happy with - they’re fine-ish, but I’d like them in a slightly different spot.

So I’m not looking for crash repair - just DZUS fastener sized hole repair. The new holes I drill will be fairly close to the originals, so the fix needs to be robust.

What have you used?
Shane Carwile
Intermediate Group
2015 Yamaha R6 - #247
2017 Yamaha R6 - (probably) my backup bike :)

RocketDan

• Control Rider
Re: Fiberglass repair??? What do you do?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 04:12:29 PM »

I’ve always just used the holes I drilled in the wrong place

Ok, I will stop trolling and let someone with really fiberglass experience weigh in

Daniel Hughes
2015 R1

bigshug1

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 05:32:08 PM »

Lol - I swear, as meticulous as I am about this sort of thing...I just can't quite get over it :/
Shane Carwile
Intermediate Group
2015 Yamaha R6 - #247

mvlacenere

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 01:21:23 PM »

I have done this repair in the past with a square size bag of fiberglass from Walmart, resin, and a paintbrush. All from Walmart. The resin will have directions that are easy to follow. I recommend not overdoing it... It will dry thick and that means you will have a lot more sanding to do. It is really not hard. Just a huge mess. Wear clothes you don't care about. Be prepared to have fiberglass all over you...

Hope this helps!

Natrix

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 05:23:27 PM »

Is this bodywork as-yet unpainted, Shane?
Have you done much or any fiberglass work before?
I’m a newb, but I’ll say right off to not screw around; just get a proper respirator if you don’t already have one. Doing this job proper (I know how nice you will want it to look) will require sanding, and you do not want to inhale that dust. Also, cover all of yourself (I had a ton of sanding to do, so I wore a tyvek suit from Lowe’s; this stuff is all in the paints area). Might have been overkill, but for 12 bucks...

I’ve only worked with this stuff once, on my major repairs two summers ago, so read this all with that in mind (but since I’m not seeing a bunch of replies I thought I’d chime in). The bondo fiberglass resin supplies at Lowe’s worked fine for me.

For some of the holes I refilled, I used some plastic (number 5 if I recall correctly; it was a measuring cup I got at Lowe’s for paint, etc., and the cured resin didn’t stick to it) to make a wall covering the outside of the hole. You might put a thin u-shaped bead of beeswax around the hole on the the bodywork and then clamp the plastic wall over that. The bead of beeswax should ideally form a bit of a seal to keep the resin where you want it. You can probably just wall the outside of the hole like that and then put a good-sized piece of fiber on the inside (where it’ll go unseen) and have the bodywork on its side and pour the resin into the hole and onto the fiber from the inside.

You’ll want to roughen up and then clean thoroughly anywhere you want to make sure the resin stays stuck.

Working with tiny, almost hole-sized pieces of fiberglass doesn’t work well (unless you find some ultra fine mesh?). The fibers are slippery and the mesh falls apart. Don’t waste your time with that. Either fiberglass a large area around both holes (original and new) on the inside as stated above keeping in mind then that the bodywork would be thicker there because of the extra layer of fiber or just forget about the fiber and fill the hole with the resin only. A nice, smooth, round hole (roughened inside and around for good adhesion of course) filled with resin should stand up to the abuse just fine. If you do this and it’s a tiny job of just a hole or two, you can probably get away with wearing just a long sleeved shirt, but I still wouldn’t skimp on the respirator.

Not sure if this will help or even be good advice, but it’s what I’d do.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 05:36:33 PM by Natrix »
Kerry

I'm not slow; I'm deliberate :D
N 333 - '06 GSX-R750

bigshug1

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 10:33:41 PM »

I appreciate all the info!!!

Kerry - I think I'll probably go with the resin idea. I'm filling these holes (really) just for aesthetic purposes since the new ones I drill will be a short distance from them, looking at my bodywork recently.

Can't wait to ride again - cold weather SUCKS!!!
Shane Carwile
Intermediate Group
2015 Yamaha R6 - #247

jcrich

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 02:10:29 PM »

Scuff sand and Fiberglass cloth and resin on the inside, Bondo on the outside. Sand, then some primer.

andrew230

• Control Rider
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 02:38:49 PM »

I would recommend the fiberglass resin gel that you can get with fiberglass already in it. it does not run like the regular resin.  It is much easier to work with without making a mess.   my  :2cents:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 05:51:07 PM by andrew230 »
Andrew Gold ccs#230 expert

2006 SV-650
2011 gsxr-750

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 05:39:42 PM »

Called Tiger Hair

Sent from Spinak’s samsuck phone
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

Mobile: 404-435-8427

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 05:41:45 PM »

Or chop up a bunch of fiber mat and mix in with resin and hardener then plaster for inside out and scrape entering so there is some overlap. All can be fixed with sand paper.

Sent from Spinak’s samsuck phone
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

Mobile: 404-435-8427

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

bigshug1

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 03:27:31 PM »

Awesome...

Simple for me is certainly better...lol.

I’m still pissed at myself for making this mistake with perfectly good bodywork.  :banghead:
Shane Carwile
Intermediate Group
2015 Yamaha R6 - #247

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 36 queries.