Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Cleaning your bike  (Read 203 times)

Viffer

• Max Speed Cycles
Cleaning your bike
« on: January 10, 2020, 09:10:53 AM »

Hi guys

How often do you clean your bike?  I don't mean just wiping the bodywork down, but actually CLEANING it.  How important is it?  I say that is that it is very important.  Of course from an aesthetic point of view it just makes it look way better, but more than that it keeps you in touch with your machine.  Here are some of the benefits of cleaning your bike after every track day.

You are looking over and touching every part of it, therefore seeing any issues your bike may have or catching something before it is an issue.
Seeing that your shifter linkage is loose
That you may have lost a bolt or Dzus fastener from your bodywork
The condition of your brake pads, rotors
The condition of your chain and sprocket, besides the obvious of cleaning and lubing your chain again
That maybe a brake line is rubbing on something or a wire harness is chafing somewhere
That a zip tie has broken and your wiring harness is about to interfere with steering your bike
You have a coolant or oil leak that you did not notice
Your brake reservoir bracket has a crack
Your frame slider is loose
A bolt is missing from an exhaust bracket.
The footpeg is loose or the rear brake pedal is missing its circlip
That your shock reservoir is missing the rubber from its mounting point or is contacting the swingarm
That your clip on is loose, or your clutch perch or master cylinder is loose on the bar
And probably the MOST IMPORTANT, the Tire Guy LIKES CLEAN WHEELS  LOL

We could go on with this list but I think you see what I am trying to convey.  Cleaning your bike goes a long way to insuring a trackday full of riding without the interruptions of bike trouble.  It certainly makes going through tech better.  When we see a bike that is clean and looks well maintained it makes an impression that you are concerned about the state of your bike and it is most likely ready for the track.  When your bike is dirty and the wheels look like they got washed last nevuary, well you get the point. 

I hope this helps you all in the coming season.  I look forward to seeing you all very soon.  And once again if any of you need anything to get ready for this year, please just give us a ring.  336-993-6661

JRA

• Administrator
Re: Cleaning your bike
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 07:00:54 AM »

We see a lot of nice, clean, well taken care of bikes that come through tech. We also see a lot of bikes that are pieces of....!

Anybody ever heard that one before? :D

You're getting ready to ride a machine at speeds that are well into the triple digits, and your life depends on that machine working properly. Everyone needs to give this sport the respect it deserves, it's not like playing a video game, you can actually die. The advise given above will improve your chances of enjoying your time at the track and not ending up in the ambulance. A bike that is well maintained is going to work better, be easier to ride, and be safer all at the same time.

Very good topic Jim. This is a great way to spend an hour on a Saturday afternoon. You don't have to be a mechanic, or even really know very much about wrenching on bikes to do this very basic maintenance and pre-tech inspection. You could even drink beer while your doing it. What could be better than that? :D
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

Viffer

• Max Speed Cycles
Re: Cleaning your bike
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 07:45:52 AM »

Thanks JRA for putting that job in perspective.  Which in that big list looks daunting but in all reality could be a great way to spend a couple of hours on an afternoon.

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 37 queries.