Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: lets talk tire wrapping  (Read 1227 times)

djhurayt

lets talk tire wrapping
« on: July 23, 2019, 11:05:29 AM »

Who does it and why.

Are you just wrapping at the end of an event until the next ???
Are you using a softener/treatment then wrapping ???
How about long term i.e. over the winter ???
Just a gimmick ???

All comments, pro & con welcomed
david
07 Honda CBR600RR
11 H-D XR1200X
08 Husky SMR450

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
Re: lets talk tire wrapping
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 11:09:25 AM »

I’ll bite.
WTF are you talking about?

Sent from Spinak’s samsuck phone
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

Mobile: 404-435-8427

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

dbosch11

• Newbie For Life!
  • Control Rider
  • GWC
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 11:32:38 AM »

Never heard of it in 12 years of track riding  :confused:

I rather spend the money on seat time or rubbers.
d11b
10 r6

djhurayt

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 11:42:12 AM »

The idea is to take plastic wrap and wrap the tread of the tire after the end of the day/weekend to help preserve the natural oils in the rubber from gassing off any easier than necessary.  That is my understanding.  I thing the go-kart and circle track racers do it, but it is due to using a tire softener or other tire treatments.

You know that blueish look the rubber gets after sitting a for a while of non-use.  My understanding is this is the oil that have come out of the rubber and has oxidized and the wrapping help
1) keep air (ozone, oxygen) away from the tire
2) the compression helps somewhat in keeping the oils in the rubber as opposed to on the surface of the rubber
david
07 Honda CBR600RR
11 H-D XR1200X
08 Husky SMR450

RocketDan

• Control Rider
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 11:58:30 AM »

I’ve never heard of this concept for motorcycles. None of the tire manufacturers recommend anything like this so would not think it’s a good idea.

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

MonkeyMan

• Control Rider
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 12:33:57 PM »

I would suggest forgetting about this concept as quickly as you can.

Just imagine for a second how much 'fun' it would be if you did this and what would happen about 0.025 seconds after taking a bike off stands.

To your original question - I've never heard of it and would never do it.

"MonkeyMan" Mike
#413 Yamaha R1M
Flying Monkey Racing
http://www.facebook.com/FlyingMonkeyMotorcycleRacing

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 04:44:16 PM »

I would say you are over thinking shit or spending way too much time in Trackday Junkies which will make you exponentially less smart. Either way stop it you will be happier and enjoy the sport more. Wrapping tire seriously ever seen anybody do this at an event. Putting sauce on a tire. Nope never seen that either.

Store tires cool dry place out of sunlight and away from anything mechanical such as furnace or ac units. Chemicals like fertilizer and strippers caustic shit. Do not put in direct contact with concrete. We just talking about tires on the bike or are you storing 100s of tire like we do? Oh sorry 100s of tire we store without wrapping them.
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 07:23:33 PM »

Of course I just vacuum sealed all my tires in the garage and a few steaks.
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 10:50:19 PM »

Seriously sorry. Less direct. Don’t get too wrapped into all the periphery stuff if you can. Crazy rabbit hole you can go down. Even just focusing on the stuff you need to that’s a ton of input alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

djhurayt

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 06:02:10 AM »

Totally understand, and by all means I am not advocating this, but as an engineer by trade (and still a kid at heart) I need to learn more about a subject if I here about something I don't fully understand.

Now, Mike was supposed to be a pun?  :doh:
Don’t get too wrapped into all the...
david
07 Honda CBR600RR
11 H-D XR1200X
08 Husky SMR450

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 06:18:29 AM »

I am blind to puns just like some people don’t have funny smelling pee after eating asparagus and some do. Haha.

I know folks store in lawn leaf bags but have also seen some moldy ass tires that way. If you are for some reason going to store or stock up on tires I think a rack up off the floor where tires are vertical, out of direct sunlight, no where near mechanical items, furnace, hot water heater etc., do no store near any fertilizer or caustic chemical. I have UK Dunlop’s slicks I got from Chris Ulrich back when Dane was riding the Honda. Date code on the one I ran last year was 17/09. Kyle has run them as well. While I don’t advocate running 10 year old rubber ( yes technology has moved that far in that period of time) the tires were fine and wore like a fresh hot off the press tire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

jsnonzzr

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2019, 08:28:19 AM »

Since no one else has heard of this, I will just toss in that I have actually heard about this practice.  That being said, it was for hoosiers on autocross cars.  I have also heard of using  tire softeners on other brand autocross  "slicks"  or some other tires to get some life back into them when they are close to the end of their lives and ran a lot of heat cycles

That being said, I never knew of anyone to do that.  I know some would store their tires in plastic lawn bags, but that was to keep them out of sunlight.

I have never heard of this for motorcycle tires (although the technology and needs should be similar.)

djhurayt

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2019, 09:13:00 AM »

Well at least somebody has heard of it.  And yes it seem to be more of a autoX thing (karting and sprint car seem to do it also).  None-the-less, it would seem to be a similar theory to the autoX guys.  Run a tire on a weekend then it may not get run for a month or more.  The guy that told me about it (guy we both the twin 600s from) was also a sprint car guy and had it on the tires when we got the bikes.  I will say that after sitting all winter the tires did not have the blue sheen on them (that I normally see on street tires when they have sat a while) when we removed the wrap.  IDK
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 10:30:49 AM by djhurayt »
david
07 Honda CBR600RR
11 H-D XR1200X
08 Husky SMR450

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2019, 10:01:59 AM »

Guys used to cut their own rains as well but alas technology

Sent from Spinak’s samsuck phone
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

jsnonzzr

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2019, 02:00:05 PM »

Well at least somebody has heard of it.  And yes it seem to be more of a autoX thing (karting and sprint car seem to do it also).  None-the-less, it would seem to be a similar theory to the autoX guys.  Run a tire on a weekend then it may not get run for a month or more.  The guy that told me about it (guy we both the twin 600s from) was also a sprint car guy and had it on the tires when we got the bikes.  I will say that after sitting all winter the tires did not have the blue sheen on them (that I normally see on street tires when they have sat a while) when we removed the wrap.  IDK

I let my tires sit on the bike, unwrapped, one on a rear stand, the other on my cement floor (or both on the cement floor)  I have never had a blued tire.  I have been riding for 10 years.  I think the cold temps have nothing to do with it.  I have read the blueing is oil related, but also due to over heating a tire.  The only motorcycles I have seen this on a couple sets of takeoffs I bought a long time ago.   It happens, but not very often. 

I dont wrap my tires as already said and dont see a need.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 35 queries.