Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Let's talk lap timers  (Read 444 times)

RickyBobby

Let's talk lap timers
« on: July 17, 2019, 03:06:47 PM »

I'm thinking of getting one and wondered what the masses have to say. The AIM Solo 2 is my front-runner. I want to start quantifying what good & bad is (for me). I think that I heard that the Solo 2 allows you to break down sections of the track so you can see and work on specifics in that area. I'm not looking to race, just gain some knowledge and improve.

I'm pretty sure that Kyle has one of these, so chime in here, bud.

Thanks for any input!
I Group
K7 GSXR750

jsnonzzr

Re: Let's talk lap timers
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 03:25:55 PM »

yes, it has that ability.  It also shows you how much better you are doing then your last lap per section with green or red dots. 2 dots is better then one dot (unless there red). 

That being said, I think most of the major vendors have this ability?  I have the solo 2 dl  I enjoy it, but I have not started to unlock its potential.

Kyle M

• Not sexy need not apply
  • Control Rider
  • Turn yo' head until you start to Break yo' neck
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 10:34:16 AM »

I'm thinking of getting one and wondered what the masses have to say. The AIM Solo 2 is my front-runner. I want to start quantifying what good & bad is (for me). I think that I heard that the Solo 2 allows you to break down sections of the track so you can see and work on specifics in that area. I'm not looking to race, just gain some knowledge and improve.

I'm pretty sure that Kyle has one of these, so chime in here, bud.

Thanks for any input!

GPS lap timers are generally all similar, but where you get into major differences is the software you use to analyze the data. On the unit itself (not software, ie Racestudio) AIM uses the notion of realtime feedback with PT +-, that is how your current lap relates to your best lap (Session or Day). This is different that the notion of sectors (which you can do with AIM as well) where you get feedback on how your sector time relates to your best laps sector (Session or Day). So out of the box AIM gives you the PT+- feedback all over the track, vs just the 4 sector checkpoints. The one thing I wish it would do is give you the ability to compare your current lap not just against the best session time or time from that day, but load your best ever time and always compare you against that. That is something I will be looking into

I like Racestudio and there are tons of videos on how to use it and its a simple tool as compared to other data analysis tools I have used. AIM also has done a lot of work to sell you on their other products like integrated video which is a major learning tool for some.

My one word of caution is if you are thinking about buying the DL, call AIM and make sure you are going to get what you are expecting. I bought the DL expecting to get throttle position as it is displayed on my dash, but since I have an old ass bike AIM did not spend much time developing the ECU protocol and I get RPM, Air Temp, Water Temp, Speed. AND none of that actually works at all, even after many rounds of working with AIM support. So I paid for a DL but really only use the Solo2 aspect :(

AIM solo 2 Intruction Manual - https://www.aim-sportline.com/download/doc/eng/solo2/Solo2_user_guide_100_eng.pdf

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 10:44:38 AM by Kyle M »
Kyle Mathews
09 RM R1 #33

RickyBobby

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 08:48:59 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys! I didn't plan to get the DL version. I'm just wanting to see the lap and sector times. I didn't realize that it didn't compare current to your best. That would be worth seeing. I love riding with people who are very similar speed to me and seeing where they are faster or slower. I keep piecing these together and get a little better in my bad sections. I want a similar experience out of the lap timer.

I feel like I've made some good improvements this year, but I can't quantify this without some data. I guess I'll be getting another toy!
I Group
K7 GSXR750

RocketDan

• Control Rider
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 03:51:13 AM »

Rick, I’ve been watching you on track for a while and you have definitely made good improvements this season.

A lap timer will be a great tool to help you quantify things. If I was buying a new stand alone unit I’d go with the AIM solo 2. Has the best features.

If you really want to help track how you are doing on track you can also add some video to the mix. You can look at your lap times and then compare to what it looks like you are doing in track.

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

RickyBobby

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 06:11:36 AM »

Thanks Dan!

I have a camera facing forward on my bike, but that doesn't show what I'm doing. I regularly check other people's videos on youtube and see if I can find myself. I can usually find short clips and see what I'm doing right and wrong. I buy stills from Josh and compare past to present and they do look much better now. I still don't get my upper body down and inside as much as I think I do when I'm out there. Nor am I leaning the bike as much as it feels like I am. Looking up and further down the track is taking more effort than I thought it would. I have to keep reminding myself of that and to keep loose on the bars all the time.

Incremental improvements... I'm sneaking up on it!
I Group
K7 GSXR750

RocketDan

• Control Rider
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 06:19:20 AM »

I’ve mounted my camera on my tail before which can help give a little insight into body position. You have to make sure to get the camera as far back in the tail as possible and set on widest view possible.

Little by little turns into a lot

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

RickyBobby

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 04:27:21 PM »

I've done that before. I called it the Ass-cam!

I think I'll try to find someone to follow me so I can see the bigger picture. Do any of the CR's run a camera? That would be a hell of a service. So much so, I'd be willing to buy them a beer... or 6!

Hit me up guys... and name your price! Josh... is that opportunity knocking!?
I Group
K7 GSXR750

RocketDan

• Control Rider
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 05:09:37 PM »

I know a few of us run cameras on occasion. I will make note to post any video if I ever happen to come across you on track. Actually, I might have some. Let met check

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

RocketDan

• Control Rider
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 05:36:11 PM »

Just checked the camera. And doesn’t look like I recorded the session I recall being behind you for a little while.

I can’t commit to 1x1. But if the opportunity arises we will try and get some video for sure. Come find me in the pits next track day you attend

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 05:59:23 PM »

We prefer video just happen. I have been out on track when it’s obvious someone is trying to film a buddy. Not pretty and pretty dangerous.

Sent from Spinak’s samsuck phone
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

Mobile: 404-435-8427

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

RickyBobby

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 07:17:42 PM »

We prefer video just happen. I have been out on track when it’s obvious someone is trying to film a buddy. Not pretty and pretty dangerous.

Sent from Spinak’s samsuck phone

That's why I'm trying to solicit a CR. I figure if I ask someone else and there's a mismatch of speed and ability it could be dangerous. I doubt that one of you guys would have a problem keeping up  :adore:
I Group
K7 GSXR750

Steve Gould

• Control Rider
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 06:25:29 PM »

I've run a camera before and done some one on one sessions. Immediately after the sessions we would evaluate the video for feedback. Let me know before your next track day and we will set it up.

RickyBobby

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2019, 01:15:03 PM »

Thanks Steve! That would be much appreciated. We can discuss your fee later :tiphat: Might I say that it would be worth it's weight in Gould!?

I need to figure out when I can get out there again and I'll PM you.
I Group
K7 GSXR750

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 36 queries.