Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dunlop question  (Read 312 times)

plain1984

Dunlop question
« on: July 08, 2019, 09:52:13 AM »

Not sure whether this question is bad form or not but I’m just going to ask.  I’m trying to decide between a set of Q4’s or slicks. I’m at the pointy end of the novice group if there is a pointy end in the novice group.  I do have warmers if needed.  Which would last me longer the Q4 or the slicks? I run 120/70 180/55 or 60.  What are the prices of the Q4’s, slicks if you don’t mind my asking?  Thanks for your time and thanks for helping with my suspension at south a few weeks ago.  Best wishes, John.

P.S.:  Whichever I decide to go with can you mount them Friday afternoon?  Thanks again.

JRA

• Administrator
Re: Dunlop question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 04:53:18 AM »

John, since Jim doesn't check the message board every day I'll give you my two cents while we're waiting on him.

First, don't go to Facebook ever for an answer to this kind of question, lol.

You would be fine on either the Q4 or the slicks. It really just depends on what you want out of the tires. Slicks will give the most grip, and they will last a long time, especially if you flip them to even out tire wear. You need to be slightly more careful on cool mornings to work the tires for a couple of laps before putting the hammer down. Don't believe anyone who says that unless you are a fast guy you won't be able to keep heat in the tires. That's just nonsense from ignorant people.

I usually mount one set of tires on Lesley's bike each year. She uses them to ride six or seven tracks days and then I'll use them for a couple of days (or more) after that. I don't have any experience with the Q4's but I would assume they will last at least as long, and probably longer than that. Jim will have to give you the exact prices but I believe the slicks will be $40-50 more than the Q4's. Exactly how long slicks will last will depend partly on the compound you select, and also on how hard you use them. I mount medium compound on Lesley's bike front and rear, and she runs a mid-pack Intermediate group pace as a reference.

If you have warmers you should use them, even if you purchase the Q4's. With the Q4 you might use the lower setting if they have more than one temperature setting, or if single temp just don't let them bake continuously for long periods of time. Say maybe 20 minutes on, ten minutes off kind of cycles.

If you use the bike to ride on the street then Q4's might be a better choice since you wouldn't have to switch tires to be legal. I've heard good things about the Q4, and it's supposed to be a great tire. Whichever one you select you won't be making a mistake.

You might give him a call at the shop to see what time he'll be at the track Friday. 336-993-6661

John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

plain1984

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 05:21:23 AM »

John:  Thank you for the early morning response and advice.  I think I'll go with the medium slicks then.  I'm hoping to get to the track early Friday afternoon.  Will you guys need help putting up the air fence barriers?

RocketDan

• Control Rider
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 08:53:57 AM »

John:  Thank you for the early morning response and advice.  I think I'll go with the medium slicks then.  I'm hoping to get to the track early Friday afternoon.  Will you guys need help putting up the air fence barriers?

We can always use help setting up and tearing down the airfence. Please come join us.

Look forward to seeing you this weekend!

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

Steve Gould

• Control Rider
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 08:02:27 PM »

Plane,
You didnt  ask but the Q4's will provide all the grip you need.  I read that Josh Herren was only a couple seconds off his race pace with a set of Q3 at Road Atl 

plain1984

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 03:35:50 PM »

Steve/Daniel:  thank you for the responses.  Maybe I will go with the Q4’s.  I will check with the tire dude on prices Friday.  I am trying to contain my costs as much as I can while still having fun and being safe.  I’ll be there Friday for the air fence deployment and the track walk.   Thank you guys for all you do for the rest of us.

RocketDan

• Control Rider
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 04:19:19 PM »

You are quite welcome. And as John said, you can’t go wrong with the slicks or the Q4.

If it were me, I’d probably go Q4. It’s a good step between full street tires and full race tires.

Can’t say which will last longer. From my experience, pace and riding style can determine how long a tire lasts more than the tire itself. I’ve had race tires and street tires last a long time and a very short time. The variable was how fast I was going and how much throttle I was using.

See you soon

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

Viffer

• Max Speed Cycles
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 03:25:30 PM »

As I am very late to the game.  I was at the beach! Yeah for me!  Q4's work very well however the slicks work better and last longer.  All the things John said.  The Q4's are cheaper than the slicks but not that much on a 120/180 set.  Myles will be at the track in about an hour and he can get you fixed right up with exact pricing.
Thanks
Jim Eglinger
Max Speed Cycles
336-993-6661
WWW.MAXSPEEDCYCLES.COM

plain1984

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 07:23:53 PM »

Jim/Miles:  Thanks for hooking me up.  Miles was working hard Saturday but still got me back out on the track 1st session after lunch.  It was plenty warm on the track and Miles suggested some stuff for me that worked out well.  Thanks again guys.

Viffer

• Max Speed Cycles
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 12:35:47 PM »

You are very welcome.  We appreciate your support.
Jim Eglinger
Max Speed Cycles
336-993-6661
WWW.MAXSPEEDCYCLES.COM

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 36 queries.