Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Are all wheel spacers created equal?  (Read 324 times)

bigshug1

Are all wheel spacers created equal?
« on: April 22, 2019, 11:47:14 AM »

Another overthought question for the group...

Two different manufacturers - both with proven track records - say different things about the aluminum used in the production of their captive spacers.

Without calling anyone out directly, "Groves" motorsports says anything but 7075 T6 aluminum can cause crushing of the wheel bearings after the axles have been torqued and that the fix from other companies is to enlarge the spacer hole which, from front to rear, can cause misalignment...

"Fast and Frankious" racing uses 6061 T6 aluminum and manages to NOT disparage anyone else who uses a different grade of metal...

Am I overthinking this again? Is one just as good as the other considering the level of rider I currently am? Has anyone even read this far???
Shane Carwile
Intermediate Group
2015 Yamaha R6 - #247
2017 Yamaha R6 - (probably) my backup bike :)

RocketDan

• Control Rider
Re: Are all wheel spacers created equal?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 12:16:10 PM »

Shane, since I know you I’m gonna go out on a limb and say yes. Probably over thinking it. LOL

I’ve never thought about the material the spacer is made from. Stock uses steel so I wouldn’t think a different aluminum composition would make much difference. I’m running Fast Frank and haven’t had an issue in past two years.

Only think I think makes a difference between spacers is whether they are tapered or not. That way they help the wheel slide in easily

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

MonkeyMan

• Control Rider
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 12:37:18 PM »

Hey Shane - if level of riding is any indication I'm pretty sure the Westby team uses Fast Frank's spacers since they use his quick change parts etc (not to mention Frank is also on the team as well).

FWIW I also use Fast Frank's spacers and they're great. I can also HIGHLY recommend Frank's chain tab, captive rear brake setup and tire shelf for the R1 (he also has all of this for the 17+ R6). It truly makes changing the rear tire an easy experience.
"MonkeyMan" Mike
Flying Monkey Racing
15 Yamaha R1M
Wera #413
http://www.facebook.com/FlyingMonkeyMotorcycleRacing

bigshug1

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 12:44:36 PM »

Lol @ Daniel...you know I can't help myself  :D

And Mike - I was thinking the same about the FF stuff. I have their spacers in my track bike and wanted to put them in my other R6 for convenience sake...and for *down the road* ;)

I actually meant to ask you about the chain tab while we were at the track over the weekend - what a simple idea that I now HAVE to have on both my bikes...lol.

I'm never going to get to retire at this rate!
Shane Carwile
Intermediate Group
2015 Yamaha R6 - #247

RocketDan

• Control Rider
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 12:54:17 PM »

Chain tab is a MUST!

Captive caliper bracket is also a game changer.

That shelf looks awesome. But it does take a wee bit more work to fit up. I haven’t put one on yet. Still using my pit bull jack.

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

bigshug1

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 01:01:16 PM »

So I bought the rear caliper holder tool that Graves makes from Ruhe last year - it makes things easy (enough) to remove my rear wheel and keep the caliper exactly where I need it....

The chain tab, though...I'm looking at right now in FF's eBay store  :D
Shane Carwile
Intermediate Group
2015 Yamaha R6 - #247

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 07:43:44 AM »

So how much torque are you applying to your axles?
Yamaha on the new R1 calls for in XS of 100 ft lbs on the rear but front and rear 50 ft lbs has always been what I use as we don’t go a season without touching an axle. Heck I don’t go a weekend without a wheel change typically. Well when I have a bike that works.

I would doubt anyone including the most ham fisted person could deform one of the 6061 spacers.
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

Mobile: 404-435-8427

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

bigshug1

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 09:49:58 AM »

I would doubt anyone including the most ham fisted person could deform one of the 6061 spacers.

This was actually my thinking. I know Graves is successful and all that - but so is team Westby and the whole host of other riders and teams that DON'T use the same aluminum that Graves is using...

I never torque my axles to spec, anyway - generally 10 pounds less (mine don't call for 100 pounds) and I mark them with a paint pen as they're currently not set up for safety wire. They never budge until I'm ready to remove them......
Shane Carwile
Intermediate Group
2015 Yamaha R6 - #247

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 35 queries.