Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Tell us about yourself  (Read 67523 times)

Trkdaywannabe

Re: Tells us about yourself
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 06:57:20 PM »

My name is Thom. Screen name is the same as from the 'former' org. I'm not the social butterfly, just a quiet, take it all in type, so many don't know me. I grew up racing motocross at Raceway Park, in NJ, and chased that dream for a few years. Loretta Lynn's taught me I wasn't going to be a motocross star...LOL

At 17 I got my m/c license and picked up my first street ride, an '84 FT 500 Ascot. just for transportation. I graduated to a new '93 CBR 600 F2 and road it primarily out in the New Hope Pa. area, and got hooked on sport bikes. Went back to mx for a few years, then bought the blue '99 R6....because it was a sweet looking bike.

My wife and I moved to NC in '05 and I picked up the Repsol edition 1KRR. Spent many hours out in the Deals Gap area and realized what I had been missing out on. Picked up the '07 Repsol, to keep the '05 company in the garage. I was coerced, by some coworkers, to do a track day, VIR south, in 2010 and I was hooked. Sold the '05, to pick up a new 09 R6R, and went all in.

I made it from B to A after a handful of days, with the help of Peanut, Dunham, Adam and Steve Gould. I couldn't have gotten that far without the help and advice from a great group of people. Not chasing the bump but having a CR approach me after a session, to give me the bump, was an awesome feeling....and one I'll never forget. I had a true feeling that I earned it.

The R6 is gone, wife wanted a Goldwing, but I'll be out there on my 07 1KRR, trying to measure up to the talented group that I've been assigned to. I feel like a newbie all over again, but I also feel like I'm with the right group of people to elevate my riding to a new level. Feel free to stop by if you see the #26, with orange wheels, in the pits.
Thom, A group #26
Dont let the letter fool ya !!

crash675

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 07:13:01 PM »

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk

D Reagan
Wera Novice #320
09 zx6
09 675

Irish01

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 07:30:42 PM »

Hello, name is Shawn.  Go by Fjorn on many other forums.  Did my first track day in '04 or so.  Then a couple here and there until I sold my '03 R1 in '06 and got into MX for a while.  Then, got back into trackdays a few years later after getting an '07 R1.  Did two seasons, then life started to fall apart in 2010 due to a serious car accident, financial issues and subsequently a divorce.

Now, I'm in the process of restoring the R1 (engine rebuild, suspension, etc) and returning to the track after four years.  Haven't ridden with NESBA, but know many riders in the area (I live in MN)).

Great to see you here Shawn, hope to see you make some events with PRE!
:ws:
IRISH
RACING

Irish01

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 07:32:45 PM »

Hello all!

My name is Chris. I go by Gearheaded on most forums that still have the name available. I've been riding since 2011. My first motorcycle was a 2009 R1. After learning the hard way that Florida roads are boring I decided to dedicate myself to the race track. My 09 would eventually take a big tumble at Jennings in April of 2013. After a year long hiatus of saving and focusing on my new job I came across a 2008 r6 with only 4,000mi on it :) I can't wait to meet many members from here and share track time with you guys.

Here she is before the crash on the street:

Here she is before she was gone forever (big crash at Jennings) :(

And here's the new girl, the forks are being rebuilt right now, so she's quietly resting in the garage

Here's my ugly mug. If you ever see me trackside or out anywhere, feel free to approach me, I only bite if you ask lol

Chris good to see you here too! Damn, been a long time since Jennings! The crew here at PRE is the best hope to see you at some of their events!
:ws:
IRISH
RACING

GDFTHR

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 08:29:39 PM »

Wow, My name is Mike and my call sign is GDFTHR. I got my call sign because I was stationed in Sicily with the NAVY for 23 years. Everyone said I was (connected) and that was the only way I was able to stay there so long was because I was part of a (family). It all BS but the name stuck. My beautiful wife is from Sicily and we have 3 children.

Scott and John Mabry were a big influence on me getting back to the track. We were all stationed together in Sicily and they were here in the Norfolk area so it was going to happen sooner or later. When I finally returned to the USA in 2010, my first track day was with NESBA at South course in July

In 2011 we really got to know JRA, Taylor, Steve, Matt, Kenny, and many more. I am so STOKED about the group of riders that have bonded together in retaining the environment that we want in our Track Days.

I look fwd to seeing all of you at VIR!

R/
GDFTHR

MonkeyMan

• Control Rider
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 09:27:51 PM »

Alright - I'll follow on.

My name is Mike. On the NESBA board I was mjkuhno - but decided to change up my name here to match my bike. My nieces and nephews called me Uncle Monkey forever and one of them bought me a monkey flag which I fly at the track. But Dennis of the Sicilian Racing mob gave me the call sign of MonkeyMan last year. (could be something to do with the flag and the DonkeyKong stickers on the bike  :dunno: ).

I rode street bikes for 20 years before heading out to the track for the first time. Ever since I was a young kid I was fascinated with bikes (Michael, Michael motorcycle - yeah, never heard that!) and by midpoint of the summer I got out of school I had my first bike a Honda 350. Quite a few bikes followed over the years (another Honda, a Ninja 750 and a few BMWs) and then when I turned 40 I thought ya know - I was always curious about the racetrack so why not check it out.

I went down to Barber for a 2 day Schwantz School (yeah, slumming it for a first experience, eh?). The weather was miserable and it was raining like hell the whole time but after the first session I had a grin from ear to ear! One of the instructors saw the expression on my face when I took off the helmet and laughed; he knew. That night when I talked to my wife she asked how the day went and I told her it was a complete blast and the most fun I've ever had with my pants on. Her reaction was 'great - uh, so I guess this is now something we're doing, huh?'. Gotta love that reaction!

The following spring I bought my track bike - an '07 Triumph 675. I knew little about the new Triumphs but I liked the way it looked and sounded. I learned later though that when you're running a bike that's a little out of the mainstream you better be prepared with all the parts you need in the unfortunate case of a get off, but that's another story. In any case, we lived in PA when I first started doing track days and the first 2 years I only got to head out a handful of times each year. I rode with NESBA, TPM and Absolute and while there were good people in all orgs it seemed to me that NESBA ran the tightest ship; which seemed to make good sense when riding a motorcycle at speed with other likeminded knuckleheads!

My first experience riding in the SE came in 2010 (second season on the track) at a VIR N-N weekend. I could tell right away what a great group of people there were here - even though it was NESBA the feel was completely different. Maybe it was southern hospitality or whatever, but everyone was so friendly and welcoming it blew me away! By 10am the first morning several people stopped by our pits to check on my and see how things were coming and whether I was feeling the track. By the end of the day, the first Meat-N-Greet I attended it struck me that everyone here treated each other like family (OK, a demented family, but still) and it was great to see.

After a few years of talking about it my wife, Pam (she comes to almost every track day BTW and loves to watch racing), and I decided in 2012 it was time to relo to NC. I got in 1 day at the start of 2012 and when we decided to pull the trigger I knew my track season would be blown out of the water. I saw the YCRS school at NJMP and decided that would be my best shot to salvaging the year. At the YCRS school I learned more in 2 days than I did all the previous years putting around, met the aforementioned Dennis (who I still kid that he gave me bad info where to look for a house) and got Scott Russell to video a short 'hey' for Pam (she loves Russell's his commentary for the AMA rounds). A month after the YCRS school we moved to NC, but not before I was able to sneak in 1 final round at NJMP Thunderbolt.

The first weekend last year at VIR S-S I met the Sicilian Racing moto-maniacs and have been laughing with them ever since. A great group of knuckleheads have formed around them in our own island of misfit toys. Just don't eat Scott's hot wings - 'nough said. I was fortunate enough to get on track 12 days last year (at least 2x the amount of time any other year) including Barber at the end of the season (a return back to where the track addiction started for me) and had an absolute blast all year! I've tried to repay the warmth and hospitality I felt when I attended my first SE day every chance I get and it never ceases to amaze me what great people we have riding in this region.   

To anyone reading this who's just now thinking about getting on the track - DO IT NOW! I missed out by not starting earlier and that's my only regret in riding to this day.

I'm definitely looking forward to the success of this organization and will try to help out however I can!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 10:38:04 AM by MonkeyMan »
"MonkeyMan" Mike
#413 Yamaha R1M
Flying Monkey Racing
http://www.facebook.com/FlyingMonkeyMotorcycleRacing

cartmen34

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 09:31:20 PM »

My name is Tracey.  Screen name is the same as the NESBA board.  Some of you already know me.  Some probably not.  I've got about 20+ trackdays under my belt, most in the I group, some with a few other orgs.

I started racing BMX in elementary school.  That progressed to my first dirt bike as a freshman in high school.  After about a year I started racing motocross.  I was never very good at motocross.  After moving to California I rode my brother's 1989 CBR 600.  The next week I bought my first street bike.

After about 4 years of riding in the Santa Cruz mountains I did my first track day in 2001 at Thunderhill in Northern California.  It was the single most exciting thing I'd ever done.  Ever.  I was hooked, (I'm sure you all know the feeling!), however circumstances meant I would sell my bike and wouldn't be on the track again for 9 years.

Fast forward to 2007.  Living in NC now, my wife bought me an R6 for a birthday present.  Went street riding for about 3 years when I decided the time was right to hit the track again.  My first day back on track was with NESBA at VIR-S, May, 2010.  I did 4 trackdays that year and I've done 20+ since then, most with John and the rest of you in the SE region of the old NESBA group.

I am really looking forward to seeing all of you on the track this year!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 09:40:14 PM by cartmen34 »

jinglegixer

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 09:39:09 PM »

Hey , I'm Jay Ingle aka jingle### depending on what bike I own/riding etc.   Got back on a bike after 18yr layoff(wife/kids) back in 09.
Started with Nesba in 2010, and had a great time.  Did 2011,12 untill an old wrist injury became an issue.  2013 only got a day in with Nesba and some Code school days corner workin for track time .
I'm trying to minimize the wrist pain with riding style changes as the MD's say there's not much they can do. So far my street riding is feeling alot better so we'll give it a go on the track, looking forward to a great year , riding a beast this year so throttle control will have to rule the day . I'm in the Raleigh area so I'm sure you'll see me at VIR and some of the other tracks nearby.Couple of pics from the begining with Nesba and the new (to me) beast
Jay   "48"

jinglegixer

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2014, 09:43:11 PM »

My name is Tracey.  Screen name is the same as the NESBA board.  Some of you already know me.  Some probably not.  I've got about 20+ trackdays under my belt, most in the I group, some with a few other orgs.

I started racing BMX in elementary school.  That progressed to my first dirt bike as a freshman in high school.  After about a year I started racing motocross.  I was never very good at motocross.  After moving to California I rode my brother's 1989 CBR 600.  The next week I bought my first street bike.

After about 4 years of riding in the Santa Cruz mountains I did my first track day in 2001 at Thunderhill in Northern California.  It was the single most exciting thing I'd ever done.  Ever.  I was hooked, (I'm sure you all know the feeling!), however circumstances meant I would sell my bike and wouldn't be on the track again for 9 years.

Fast forward to 2007.  Living in NC now, my wife bought me an R6 for a birthday present.  Went street riding for about 3 years when I decided the time was right to hit the track again.  My first day back on track was with NESBA at VIR-S, May, 2010.  I did 4 trackdays that year and I've done 20+ since then, most with John and the rest of you in the SE region of the old NESBA group.

I am really looking forward to seeing all of you on the track this year!

Been a while Trace, looking forward to it !
Jay   "48"

cartmen34

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2014, 09:50:02 PM »

Been a while Trace, looking forward to it !

Abso-freakin'-lutely Jay!  Glad to hear you are back on the bike!

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 04:13:30 AM »

This is pretty cool. Keep them coming.
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

Gearheaded

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 04:22:16 AM »

Chris good to see you here too! Damn, been a long time since Jennings! The crew here at PRE is the best hope to see you at some of their events!

Yes sir  :adore:

You guys were still the best track day I've ever had so far. So personal it's like family :) I'm only doing a few events this year unfortunately as I'm still getting settled in my new job and need to build some more PTO, but you guys will see me soon, I promise that  :rtfm:

andersoncm2

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2014, 05:49:43 AM »

Hi, I'm Chris Anderson, and I hail from Keysville, VA.  I've been riding since I was I was a kid (dirt bikes), but got into street bikes around 2001.  My 1st street bike--which I still have--was/is a 2002 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R.  I've always wanted to try the track since I was a kid, but never really had the chance with school, family, work, coaching, etc..  I have been a high school history teacher for the past 18 years, and for the 1st 10 years of my career, I also coached baseball and football.  In 2007, I decided to buy a 2007 GSXR 600 as a "coaching retirement" gift for myself.  I had planned to go right into doing track days, but the timing was not yet right. 

Last year (2013), I worked up enough nerve (and nagged my wife just enough :wow:) to sign up for my 1st track day in April with NESBA at VIR South.  I was hooked from the start!! :D  I ran a few more track days with NESBA and TPM in 2013 at VIR South and NCBike, slowly working my way up from a B level rider to an I level rider, along the way, learning lots from CR's such as John Dunham (great guy).

Really looking forward to being a part of this new endeavour that you all have started.  Can't wait to get the 2014 season off to a start!!
Chris Anderson
#619 k7 GSXR 600 (I)

TDG 68

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2014, 06:13:15 AM »

OK my go.  I'm Tim Sandbag on the NESBA forum changed it up just to make it easier (I'm not hiding from anyone) I bought my first bike in 94 it was a 87 Virago POS had it for a month & it blew up.  Fast forward to 2002 I bought my 2002 Honda VF750 Magna (still have it) I have ridden the wheels off that thing.  In 2008 while in western NC I was riding with a group of guys I've ridden with for years they had all moved to sport bikes & I was dragging pegs frame & header pipe to stay with them.  So it became obvious I needed a more capable bike in order to keep up with these guys.  So i bought a 02 CBR 1100XX (Still have it) fast forward a few more years & a few additional bikes.  I did my first day on the track with Reg Pridmore at VIR north in August of 2012.  I was hooked.

A knuckle head that I rode with on the street some Tim W goes by Tim 311 talked me into NESBA & in 2013 I signed up & got in 15 days with NESBA in 2013 1 day with Nate Kern for a total of 16 days in 2013.  It was a VERY bumpy start I managed to wad my RC51 up at the season opener at South VIR.  I managed to get it back together & have enjoyed a great first season mostly at VIR with a little Barber & RR thrown in.

I would just like to thank the PRE team for so much hard work in a very limited amount of time.  I know your hands are tied time wise but I do appreciate your efforts to put all this together in such a short time.

Tim Gettier
A  #68
02 RC-51
06 CBR1000RR

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2014, 06:55:27 AM »

Guys I was just kidding about the name changes and what I said was really just for poking Aman. Whatever name you want to use here is just fine. :D
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 36 queries.