Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: First PRE, Road Atlanta!!  (Read 971 times)

Liffy

First PRE, Road Atlanta!!
« on: April 03, 2019, 07:30:54 AM »

Hello Everyone,

This is going to be my first track day, May 4th, Road Atlanta. I am super excited but not really sure what to expect! I'll be riding a CBR 600rr.

The plan so far is to trailer it out, bring a few family members, couple chairs, food, water, gas, etc. I initially thought about driving it out to Road Atlanta since i'm only about 1 hour away. My biggest excitement is to see how/if a track day can transform me into a better rider, on and off the road.

As far as the bike goes - Tires and Pads are new, just under 500 miles. I have new boots, helmet, race suit (2 piece), ready. I'm just lacking the full gauntlet gloves. I just need to tape the lights, etc. How does the numbering work for the bike, is that something that is provided on-site? Also, anything else i might be missing that i should bring, any other tips?

My biggest worry is not having adequate gear and bike specs ready for the track and being turned away. I'm not sure what services are available on site?

the-uno

• KCCO
Re: First PRE, Road Atlanta!!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 07:57:12 AM »

Hey Liffy! Welcome to PRE and congrats on the first trackday. It's going to be a blast.

I would suggest a canopy and a fan. It gets hot in the paddock. Hopefully in may it won't be to bad.
Numbering is whatever number you want to put on your bike. You can choose your favorite number, doesn't matter. I know our trackside vendor usually has black numbers you can purchase at the track.

Gloves you can rent from Tommy and Susan with Trackside Gear.

See you in May
15 R1 308  :a:
:ws:

Nick "uno" Munson

dbosch11

• Newbie For Life!
  • Control Rider
  • GWC
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 08:13:58 AM »

Welcome Liffy!  :clap:

I'm excited for you! I remember my first track day like it was yesterday. (12 years ago!)

Bring a lot a lot of water! Start really hydrating 2-3 days before the event.
You will be amazes how much better you feel on and off the bike being properly hydrated.
Canopy is a great idea to keep you and the family out of the sun.

As long as the bike is in a good safe working condition you don't have to worry about being turned away.
Should anything pop up that isn't expected the track side vendor Max Speed will have most everything to get you on track.
Painters tape to tape up the lights and electrical tap if economical.

I strongly feel riding on the track improves street riding. The speed perception at the racetrack slows down speed perception on the road. It really teaches you to look ahead and keep planning ahead. Your reaction time will increase from the limits you learn on the racetrack that you can't apply on the street safely.

Anything you need we have a close family. Any staff or rider will help you out with any questions or needs you may have on your first day. Plan to have a good time on that 600!
d11b
10 r6

MonkeyMan

• Control Rider
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 11:31:18 AM »

Hi Liffy - welcome to PRE!

You'll have an absolute BLAST at Road Atlanta - and it will definitely make you a better rider on and off the track.

As Nick and Dean mentioned a canopy is a really good idea if you have one or can borrow/buy one before that weekend. Just remember to secure the canopy on each leg to something relatively heavy so it doesn't take flight like a huge sail (it happens). Some canopies have options for sandbags which is pretty nice but if yours doesn't you can use things like a tool box, buckets full of water or even just securing corners to your truck and/or trailer. Nick also mentioned bringing a fan which is another great idea as sometimes it can get pretty warm at the track.

Regarding gear preparation - it sounds like you're all set aside from gloves which Tommy and Susan of Trackside Gear can rent to you. You may want to contact them either through this forum or through their Facebook page @ https://www.facebook.com/tracksidegear in advance but they have a good selection of products to rent and buy as well. Check out the Racer Gloves they carry - they are really nice!

It sounds like you have the bike prepared as well. In addition to taping the lights you might want to pull the fuse for the headlight so it doesn't warm up the painters tape and make the lenses sticky when you're removing them later. If you can remove your mirrors (you won't be using them) great - if not tape up the glass and we'll be aiming them down for your first day. If you still have passenger pegs mounted please zip tie them to the peg mounts so they don't accidentally fold down.

You can run whatever number you'd like and can just use painters tape if you don't want to permanently number your bike. Just make the numbers a decent size so they can easily be viewed off the track.

I'm sure others will 'stop by' here to say hello and offer helpful suggestions. You'll probably find out quickly that we all look out for each other here - whether it's your first or 100th time riding with PRE.

See you at Road Atlanta!
"MonkeyMan" Mike
#413 Yamaha R1M
Flying Monkey Racing
http://www.facebook.com/FlyingMonkeyMotorcycleRacing

meowculpa

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 04:22:37 PM »

I'm biased, but it's a great bike for the track.  :thumbup:
Lots of solid advice above. Additionally, 
 Sleep well before the 1st day. You'll need it.
 If you've OEM footpegs, remove the curb-feeler.
 Try to ride both days. you'll be much MUCH better the 2nd day.
 If anyone in your entourage has allergies, watch out - Ton of Pollen last year.
 Start saving up.  :D

Be seeing everyone @ Rd. Atlanta.  :tiphat:
S/S # 47: Malpractice Makes Perfect!
08 CBR 600RR (A & B)

Natrix

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 06:30:10 PM »

Welcome aboard!
You might do a little digging or asking ahead of time what tire pressures you should run for the track for whatever tires you’ll be running. Write that info down, and keep it handy.
You’ll want to keep an eye on your tire pressures throughout the day.

One of these days, we’ll manage to get a comprehensive tire pressures post inserted into the FAQ thread. Steve, did you ever compile that spreadsheet you threatened back in 2017? :)
For Dunlop Q3’s I ran 30 front 30 rear. My slicks data are not handy atm.
Kerry

I'm not slow; I'm deliberate :D
N 333 - '06 GSX-R750

Liffy

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 07:09:19 AM »

One of these days, we’ll manage to get a comprehensive tire pressures post inserted into the FAQ thread. Steve, did you ever compile that spreadsheet you threatened back in 2017? :)
For Dunlop Q3’s I ran 30 front 30 rear. My slicks data are not handy atm.

I just got a new set of Q3+'s as well so maybe i'll run a similar pressure. But 30/30 sounds extreme, but what do i know lol. Whats the magic behind running such a low pressure?

RocketDan

• Control Rider
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 08:11:48 AM »

I just got a new set of Q3+'s as well so maybe i'll run a similar pressure. But 30/30 sounds extreme, but what do i know lol. Whats the magic behind running such a low pressure?

You run lower pressure on the track so the tires and flex more to create better traction. Wait until you get to race tires and you will be shocked by what pressure you run in those.

30 front 30 rear is a good place to start. Keep in mind this is a cold pressure setting, so the pressure will go up some when you are on track as the tires heat up.

There is a lot to learn about tire pressure, but for your first day try not to overthink it. Plenty other aspects to take in first. Look forward to seeing you out there!!

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

lucky13

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 08:17:17 AM »

Liffy,

The tire pressures appropriate for track duty are going to seem low in comparison to the pressure you run on the street.  The quick and dirty is that at track pace, your tire will generate a LOT more heat than it will ever see on the street.  You also want the tire to deform a bit, so when you are leaned over there is more contact patch.

I have run Q3+ for a season on my 600, and use 32F/29-30R as my 'hot pit' pressure - the pressure I look for after fully warming up on tire warmers and before going out.  If I have done my part and kept heat in the tire during my session, the pressures are VERY close to that when I come back in.  Pressures for slicks are even lower for the rear...   differences in bike, specific tire, riding style, environmental factors, and maybe a little voodoo go into the magic number, but it would be fair to say a common range for slicks is closer to 31-34 front/19-21 rear.

Your Q3 don't NEED warmers but I have found it is better to have a hot tire when rolling onto the grid rather than having to heat it up on an outlap or two.  Dunlop says the new Q4's are designed for track duty and no warmers, so that may be an option for you to consider as you start out if you do not have a set of warmers.

Check your pressures before and after a session, keep an eye on the tires (in time you can 'read' the tire), take notes, and feel free to ask around in the pits or chat with the folks at MaxSpeed to help get dialed in.  Or set it at 30/30 and go.  There will be a lot going on your first track day to occupy your mind.

See you at Road Atlanta!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 08:27:26 AM by lucky13 »
Craige K12 #13  :n::i:
K8 GSX-R 600
http://lucky13moto.smugmug.com/PRETrackDays

NicNac337

• Control Rider
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 08:14:21 PM »

Welcome to PRE Liffy! Along with all the great advice above, I add ... get ready for your new addiction! 

Definitely do not hesitate to introduce yourself to the PRE staff and fellow riders.

See you next month!  :clap:
Nicole #337
2011 YZF-R6
Charlotte, NC

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 36 queries.