Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: School me on suspension talk  (Read 292 times)

HowWorkClutch

School me on suspension talk
« on: April 02, 2019, 06:22:02 PM »

I need vocabulary for communicating suspension feel. I told my buddy that my front-end was super-punchy and he said "springs too hard bruh". I kinda doubted it because a pro recommended those springs based on purpose and the weight of my beer belly. It turns out the rebound damping was set too - (no damping).

I told my buddy my front end was diving like mad and he said "springs too soft bruh". I kinda doubted this advice for the same reason. Compression damping solved it.

I told my buddy the rear was bucking me off when I hit a bump and he said "spring too hard bruh". Etc etc etc. Damping set too - (no damping).

Now the bike feels a lot better. I'm wondering if there are things to look for that indicate "not good enough", and how to effectively communicate my "feels" with a trackside suspension tweaker.

RocketDan

• Control Rider
Re: School me on suspension talk
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 06:47:53 AM »

Springs too hard bruh and springs too soft bruh I think covers the whole gambit of suspension... LOL

I would say that it’s important to pay attention to when things are feeling off. Are you in the brakes or in the gas? Are you entering the turn or exiting the turn. That type of feedback should help the suspension tuner indenting where to make adjustments. As far as the terminology, I have a good feeling Jim has heard it all and can make a pretty good assumption of what you mean.

It’s always a good idea to start with a suspension tuner to get the base setting and then go from there with their instructions on what to look for.

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

Viffer

• Control Rider
    • Max Speed Cycles
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 10:30:42 AM »

You can always bring the bike by the Max Speed Cycles vendor area and have the suspension professionally set up.  Makes a huge difference and gets you a really good baseline to start from.  Max Speed Cycles is at EVERY PRE event.
Jim Eglinger
Max Speed Cycles
336-993-6661
WWW.MAXSPEEDCYCLES.COM

HowWorkClutch

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 12:26:16 PM »

You can always bring the bike by the Max Speed Cycles vendor area and have the suspension professionally set up.  Makes a huge difference and gets you a really good baseline to start from.  Max Speed Cycles is at EVERY PRE event.

I may look for you at the next vir event. I got the bike really close this past weekend. The difference was night/day. I scuffed the front of my boots in turn one and I wasn't really reaching for mofaster- it just happened.

I'll be at ncbike, but I've been told that its super-flat/smooth. The bike is probably very good-enough in that scenario.

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 12:37:49 PM »

But you are on the side of the tires for a long time there are things that can be improved everywhere. Every time

Sent from Spinak’s samsuck phone
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

Mobile: 404-435-8427

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 35 queries.