Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Transponder mounting  (Read 739 times)

Ronaldshoffner

Transponder mounting
« on: February 24, 2019, 09:31:15 AM »

Hey guys so I’m wanting to go with a hard wire transponder that way I don’t have to worry about charging it and on mounting instructions it says to mount with the label facing down with no metal between it and the track and running it longways (ziptied to the fork) could cause inaccuracies? Just curious where everybody had theirs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
Transponder mounting
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 12:31:16 PM »

Front sprocket cover

Drill a few holes zip tie mounting bracket, run power from keyed 12v

Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

Mobile: 404-435-8427

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

dbosch11

• Newbie For Life!
  • Control Rider
  • GWC
Re: Transponder mounting
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 02:11:33 PM »

Hey guys so I’m wanting to go with a hard wire transponder that way I don’t have to worry about charging it and on mounting instructions it says to mount with the label facing down with no metal between it and the track and running it longways (ziptied to the fork) could cause inaccuracies? Just curious where everybody had theirs

I always zip tied mine to the front fork. I have seen others mount it on their tail unit.
One race I had no idea if I crossed the line first or second it was that close of a finish.
That race I finished 1st and wonder if the results would have been the same if I mounted it to my tail. 

d11b
10 r6

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 02:50:14 PM »

Yes the results would have been the same. MotoAmerica does not allow fork mounted transponders. Everyone said the same thing if mounted on front it gives you the win in a tie if yours is mounted on the front bs rear. Can’t tell you why but it’s just not the case.
Seriously on an R6 the sprocket cover is the perfect place for it.
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

MonkeyMan

• Control Rider
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 06:04:01 PM »

Which organization are you planning to race with? CCS and WERA use different transponders and they're not compatible.

While I could potentially see the benefit to hard wiring the transponder I've never had issues with charging mine (typically do it during the week before the race and then check it the night before to be sure) and it lasts at least 4-5 days on a charge (I've checked mine).

As for location - while I can't dispute what Ruhe is saying about MotoAmerica I was in a similar battle to what Dean mentions in a race last year. It was at Road Atlanta for the Open Superstock Novice race and I took P3 by 0.001! Needless to say we both asked the other where the transponder was mounted and they were both on the same position on our R1's forks.

Again YMMV and I have do reason to doubt Ruhe about MotoAmerica - but I continue to mount my transponder on the fork when I race.
"MonkeyMan" Mike
Flying Monkey Racing
15 Yamaha R1M
Wera #413
http://www.facebook.com/FlyingMonkeyMotorcycleRacing

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 05:56:56 AM »

Do they mention location for WERA or CCS? I would have to check the rule pack but 2015 MA was a pretty hard no on fork mounting. They may have changed. I think it would go down to actual photo finish for MA. Seriously if it mattered wouldn’t someone like JRP have a transponder The has its pick up or timing antenna like 3 feet in front of his bike? Or Mount on the most forward part of the bike like tip if fender?
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 06:17:37 AM »

Just checked 2019 regs and they are more concerned about brand and model vs location now apparently.
If there is a concern about placement I am sure we can make some mods to get keyed 12v to the front fender and then mount that thing on the tip 7.6inch advantage over the competition.
Serious question though. Do club race orgs have finish line photo to refer to in the event someone claims victory but was .00000001 behind on time? Or do they just trust the transponder and move on because of a busy schedule?
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

Dunham

• Control Rider
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 07:06:05 AM »

Club racing goes by the transponder so forward placement is good. I use left fork for Wera and right fork for Ccs

I'm told fork mount is now ok for Motoamerica
The Motorcyclist Still Known as "Stock Shock John"

dbosch11

• Newbie For Life!
  • Control Rider
  • GWC
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 07:17:01 AM »

Why does fork mounting sound so wrong?

d11b
10 r6

dbosch11

• Newbie For Life!
  • Control Rider
  • GWC
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 07:18:27 AM »

Which organization are you planning to race with? CCS and WERA use different transponders and they're not compatible.

While I could potentially see the benefit to hard wiring the transponder I've never had issues with charging mine (typically do it during the week before the race and then check it the night before to be sure) and it lasts at least 4-5 days on a charge (I've checked mine).

As for location - while I can't dispute what Ruhe is saying about MotoAmerica I was in a similar battle to what Dean mentions in a race last year. It was at Road Atlanta for the Open Superstock Novice race and I took P3 by 0.001! Needless to say we both asked the other where the transponder was mounted and they were both on the same position on our R1's forks.

Again YMMV and I have do reason to doubt Ruhe about MotoAmerica - but I continue to mount my transponder on the fork when I race.

Did you know who finished ahead at the time or did you need to look at the results?
d11b
10 r6

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 08:04:09 AM »

Yeah Moto America dropped any commentary on placement basically accepted models what you can use them for in addition to timing and orientation see to be it.

Makes sense they rely on it vs the ole eyeball and photo finish. Keeps the day moving. So a nice piece of Carbon fiber that sticks about event with your front tire edge would be interesting set up ha
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

Ronaldshoffner

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 08:05:00 AM »

I race with ccs and zip tied one to fork with no problems at Daytona, and Westhold transponder mounting instructions says mounting vertical could cause inaccuracies, however I can’t say if anyone has ever had this problem due to the amount of people I seen with it located on the fork. I did hear them mention photo finish a couple times but if they actually checked I couldn’t tell you.

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 09:56:07 AM »

Yeah if you read MA bulletin. It says mounting near engine could cause issues but I have never heard of it causing an issue.
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 10:01:28 AM »

Bracket that mounts to fork casting down by axle. Would there be a market for universal kits?
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

MonkeyMan

• Control Rider
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 03:14:52 PM »

Did you know who finished ahead at the time or did you need to look at the results?

Went back to pits and had to check the Live Timing app! I knew where the other rider was pitted (and he knew where I was) and we met 1/2 way through the paddock laughing and high fiving. It was a great battle!!

Funny thing is - earlier in the day I toyed with mounting the transponder up higher on the forks in between the triples so it would essentially be tucked out of the way in the fairing. I actually DID mount it there and didn't like the inconvenience of needing to get 'monkey fingers' in there to get it set - so I moved it back down lower. Joked about it afterwards and the potential likelihood that in this instance it would have had an impact.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 03:21:07 PM by MonkeyMan »
"MonkeyMan" Mike
Flying Monkey Racing
15 Yamaha R1M
Wera #413
http://www.facebook.com/FlyingMonkeyMotorcycleRacing
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 35 queries.