Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 15+ R1 steering damper  (Read 152 times)

RocketDan

15+ R1 steering damper
« on: December 08, 2018, 03:50:55 PM »

What are opinions of the stock steering damper vs an aftermarket unit? I have heard rumor of some really fast people still running the stock speed sensitive damper. I wonder if it's adequate or if an aftermarket manual damper would be better.

MonkeyMan

• Control Rider
Re: 15+ R1 steering damper
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 06:15:20 AM »

Dan have you noticed head shake and/or other scenarios where you felt the OEM damper isn't working?

FWIW I upgraded my damper to the SD043 model which works with the R1M and I've found it works pretty well. Before upgrading I had minor pucker moments where things seemed 'loose' coming up T5 and under the bridge at RA. After upgrade the front end seemed more 'together' and I haven't noticed anything weird.

If you're looking to upgrade I'd think the manual Ohlins would be a good option as it tucks in where the OEM is now.
"MonkeyMan" Mike
Sicilian Racing
15 Yamaha R1M
Wera #413
http://www.facebook.com/FlyingMonkeyMotorcycleRacing

RocketDan

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 06:57:21 AM »

I had a couple moments last season that were a little unsettling. Coming down the hill at South and also going through esses at North.

But no major tank slapped or anything. Not sure if the bike got unsettled and the damper did it’s job or if things could be better. Either way it was causing me to adjust my riding by using less gas in those areas. Curious if I should just deal with it because the stock damper is doing an adequate job and I need to learn how to be more comfortable with the wheel coming up.

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

Upnadam

• Control Rider
  • Fast x .5
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 09:44:56 AM »

I had some minor issues too, mostly from the front coming down (from being up) in places the ol 750 did not lift. I purchased an Ohlins for mine, will know come April (maybe sooner) if it helped.
Adam Elkins
17’ R1
"Ride Fast, Live Slow"

Steve Gould

• Control Rider
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 03:12:57 PM »

Dan, don’t put a bandaid on a stability problem. What’s your wheelbase? If you stretch it out to around 600 mm, it will be a lot more stable. The trade off being a bit higher steering effort.

52 Ruhe

• Is my name GOOGLE Mother fucker!!!!!!
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 03:47:52 PM »

Steve he can kick the rear up run 320mm eye to eye and it will still be stable and turn a bit easier.
At 600 the front wheel will still lift but does not stay up there like around 540.
Also key is do your core work. Zero weight on or pull on the bars when that front is in the air.  None of us have Joe and Taylor’s issue of Front up so long the front wheel stops spinning. That’s always an interesting landing.
Mike Ruhe #52

Managing Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

Mobile: 404-435-8427

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

RocketDan

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 04:55:03 PM »

Dan, don’t put a bandaid on a stability problem. What’s your wheelbase? If you stretch it out to around 600 mm, it will be a lot more stable. The trade off being a bit higher steering effort.

I was running stock wheelbase. I just replaced my chain and sprocket and went two extra links with a 42 sprocket. This added about 7mm to the wheelbase. So it will be a little longer for next season.

I haven’t really felt like the bike was unstable. But I’m pretty easy with the throttle. Shoot, I haven’t even ridden past power mode 3... LOL. I plan on changing that next season which I suspect will loft the wheel with more regularity. Wondering if the stock damper is up to it. Don’t want to find out the hard way that it’s crap.

Are you running stock damper or aftermarket?

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

Steve Gould

• Control Rider
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 10:02:12 PM »

I have an aftermarket damper. It came that way when I bought it. Measure your wheelbase from the center of the swingarm pivot to the center of the axle. I like 600. Guys like Scholtz run a lot longer cause they're way fast and need that stability. Do you have a height adjustable shock? Ruhe said he likes 320. I like a little lower. But if you go 320 you will be in the ballpark.  But dont forget it isnt one size fits all. I'll have to measure my front but I think its 535mm from top of the bottom triple to center of front axle. Again that height combined with the rear height will help stabilize the bike and facilitate turn in. Is your bike tuned well? Why in the heck are you running in pwr 3? Coulda saved money and bought a 600!

Steve Gould

• Control Rider
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 10:04:44 PM »

Your stock damper is probably up to the task. If you put in those chassis numbers, you really wont even need it.

RocketDan

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 06:07:59 AM »

I have an aftermarket damper. It came that way when I bought it. Measure your wheelbase from the center of the swingarm pivot to the center of the axle. I like 600. Guys like Scholtz run a lot longer cause they're way fast and need that stability. Do you have a height adjustable shock? Ruhe said he likes 320. I like a little lower. But if you go 320 you will be in the ballpark.  But dont forget it isnt one size fits all. I'll have to measure my front but I think its 535mm from top of the bottom triple to center of front axle. Again that height combined with the rear height will help stabilize the bike and facilitate turn in. Is your bike tuned well? Why in the heck are you running in pwr 3? Coulda saved money and bought a 600!

Thanks for the info, I am already running a longer shock length. 4mm from stock. I will do some measuring and make sure I’m in the ballpark with my chassis.

I’m sure I could have saved money with a 600, but they don’t sound as cool. LOL 
I started with the lower power and just never changed because it was working for me. I know I don’t use the power like it can be used. I like so many other things about the R1, and there was so much improvement I needed in cornerspeed, braking etc, that I’ve been OK holding back the HP. But I know it’s time to take another step which means feeding in the rest of the power.

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 35 queries.