Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: LDR Rider Switching to Track Days  (Read 3437 times)

fireman1028

LDR Rider Switching to Track Days
« on: August 27, 2018, 07:02:56 AM »

Howdy, my name is Allen and I am planning on riding my 1st track day at CMP in October.

I have been riding for about 6 years now and I got the Iron butt bug(sounds painful) early on. My last IB ride was last fall when I successfully completed the CCC100(coast to coast to coast in under 100hrs) in 98hrs 10min. Only the 2nd person in 2017 to complete it, btw.

I no longer have an urge to do LDR and am looking for a new challenge. I came out to Kershaw last year and talked with a couple of folks and decided that this is the group I want to hook up with.

I will be riding my 2007 VFR800 25th anniversary,  that I have named "The Patriotic Pig". I know it's not the best track bike, but it is what I ride on the street and my initial goals of track time are to improve my overall skills and confidence.

If all goes well, I intend on 4-5 track days next year.

RocketDan

• Control Rider
Re: LDR Rider Switching to Track Days
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 08:19:48 AM »

Welcome!!

CC100, I’m super impressed. I have my Iron Butt certificate but I only completed a Butt Burner back in the day on my ST1100. Once I got into track days the LDR started to suffer. Don’t even have a touring bike anymore. :(

I had a 99 VFR800 a long time ago and I always loved the RWB VFR800 paint scheme.  I will be at CMP. Look forward to meeting you.

And BTW, you found the best group to start your track day adventures.

MonkeyMan

• Control Rider
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 11:13:31 AM »

Welcome to PRE Allen! If you have any questions feel free to ask away. The staff and members of PRE are all really helpful and most are very knowledgeable.

Hope you enjoy CMP - personally, I think the place is a blast!
"MonkeyMan" Mike
#413 Yamaha R1M
Flying Monkey Racing
http://www.facebook.com/FlyingMonkeyMotorcycleRacing

fireman1028

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 02:31:35 PM »

Honestly, that impressed me more than anything else. My 7 year old and I walked up to a couple of the PRE guys(I am terrible with names)and they stopped what they were doing to talk to me and answer any questions I had. They even entertained my son, by answering his questions.

If they treat a complete stranger like that, then I know that will take care of their riders.

I plan on bringing my toy hauler, wife, son and dogs and making a family day out of it.

I do have a tire related question, if anyone could help. I have a set of Pilot road 3's on now and they have plenty of life left in them. Would those be sufficent or do I have a good excuse to get a set of Q3s?

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 03:17:35 PM »

Welcome to PRE Allen! :thumbup: Your tires will be fine if they are in good shape. Q3's would be better, but they aren't necessary, especially for your first day. Like Dan I had a 1999 VFR way back in the day. We used to do some touring and sight seeing, but I never had any interest in riding long distances. I have a feeling a track bike will be in your future, lol.
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

RocketDan

• Control Rider
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 03:17:46 PM »

Pilot Road 3 will work fine. Q3 will work better if it’s dry. If you are looking for an excuse then I say spoon some on :)

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

lucky13

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 06:22:15 PM »

Welcome to PRE Allen. Right now, Dunlop is offering a $50 rebate on a set of Q3+'s purchased by 31 August.  That should make them a bit cheaper than a set of those PR3's (and significantly cheaper than PR4 or 5's.) Might be worth it to get a set for track days, and save the Pilot Roads for the street.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 06:30:25 PM by lucky13 »
Craige K12 #13  :n::i:
K8 GSX-R 600 | '13 250XC
http://lucky13moto.smugmug.com/PRETrackDays

fireman1028

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 07:51:10 AM »

I've already printed off the rebate form...

Another thing; I was registering for the 10/6 track day and it is asking for a bike number. Are there any guidelines for bike numbering?

[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f150/fireman10281/2007%20VFR800/8A7FB26E-79B4-4FA4-9238-7743253F0FA0_zpsaocy36e1.jpeg/[img]

Natrix

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 08:41:47 AM »

Another thing; I was registering for the 10/6 track day and it is asking for a bike number. Are there any guidelines for bike numbering?

[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f150/fireman10281/2007%20VFR800/8A7FB26E-79B4-4FA4-9238-7743253F0FA0_zpsaocy36e1.jpeg/[img]

CMP is grippy as heck. Q3's are great there; you'll love 'em.

Regarding numbers, it seems to be pretty much whatever you like (I wouldn't try more than 3 digits; gotta fit visible numbers on the bike). Some folks just throw a vertical piece of electrical on and call it number 1, lol. Probably better to have something a little more unique to make the photographer's life easier. If in doubt, maybe the rider handbook has a policy to double check.

With any luck, I'll be at CMP, too! Loved that track last year.

Welcome aboard. You've found an awesome group with which to ride.
Kerry

I'm not slow; I'm deliberate :D
N 333 - '06 GSX-R750

the-uno

• KCCO
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 09:02:35 AM »

Welcome Allen! You will have a blast with PRE and on track. Hope to meet you and hang out soon!
15 R1 308  :a:
:ws:

Nick "uno" Munson

MonkeyMan

• Control Rider
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 12:56:41 PM »

You can use whatever number you'd like but try to make the number large and 'obvious'.

The reason for the number on the bike for track days is so the corner workers, grid marshalls (and to a lesser degree CRs) can see the number on your bike. If the corner workers need to get on the radio about a bike it's easier if they can see a number and call in bike #413 silver, black R1....

There are whole threads (not here, but elsewhere) of the etiquette for yellow/white number plates, plates which replicate professional racing numbers, the numbers people choose etc. I say, don't worry about any of that - choose a number you like and/or is special to you and run it.

For what it's worth, most people coming out on their first day tape up their headlights (and tail lights) with blue painters tape and use that or black electrical tape to put numbers on their bike.
"MonkeyMan" Mike
#413 Yamaha R1M
Flying Monkey Racing
http://www.facebook.com/FlyingMonkeyMotorcycleRacing

NicNac337

• Control Rider
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 05:59:29 PM »

Welcome Allen! I will never tire of telling anyone and everyone that PRE is simply THE BEST place to be! I've experienced riding with other groups and am so thankful to call PRE my family.

Look forward to meeting you at CMP, be certain to attend the meet and greet cookout as it's a great opportunity to interact with everyone.

Nicole
Nicole #337
2011 YZF-R6
Charlotte, NC

fireman1028

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 06:02:47 AM »

Another question I just thought of: I have assembled a good set of beginner track specific gear. The helmet I plan on wearing is a Shoei X-12 with a DOM of 12/09. It is in fantastic shape, with no signs of wear. It is Snell rated, but I know some organizations require the helmet be less than 5 years from DOM.  Will it be sufficient and pass tech?

RocketDan

• Control Rider
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 06:37:06 AM »

Another question I just thought of: I have assembled a good set of beginner track specific gear. The helmet I plan on wearing is a Shoei X-12 with a DOM of 12/09. It is in fantastic shape, with no signs of wear. It is Snell rated, but I know some organizations require the helmet be less than 5 years from DOM.  Will it be sufficient and pass tech?

Has this X-12 been sitting on your head while riding since 2009 racking up tons of miles baking in the sun? Or has it mostly been sitting in a closet in your climate controlled house? This is just my opinion based on conversations I’ve had with helmet reps over the years, but the break down of the structural integrity of a helmet has more to do with the conditions than it does the actual time. And UV rays really break down helmet more than anything. A helmet from 2009 that hasn’t seen many miles would likely be just fine. But a high mileage helmet might not be fine even if it looks fine.

So If you have many thousands and thousands of miles on that helmet from your LDR you might want to consider changing it regardless of whether or not it would pass tech. Brains are very expensive to replace.

Again, this is just my unsolicited interwebs opinion. I have no real scientific data behind it.

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

Natrix

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 07:55:25 AM »

For a helmet treated nicely like Dan describes, I like 7 years from DOM (or 5 years from purchase if heavily used, perhaps).
Wait for word from the bosses, though.
Kerry

I'm not slow; I'm deliberate :D
N 333 - '06 GSX-R750
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 36 queries.