Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Pirelli Tire info  (Read 251 times)

RocketDan

Pirelli Tire info
« on: June 25, 2018, 08:38:02 AM »

I found this article that gives some info on the Pirelli compounds. I know most everyone is on Dunlop, but figured the few on Pirelli might find it useful

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/pirelli-introduces-new-sc3-compound-for-its-diablo-superbike-slicks/

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

Firebolt

• Control Rider
  • The real Slim Shady
Re: Pirelli Tire info
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 12:30:07 PM »

A good article, thanks Dan.   The little diagram on Pirelli's website can be a bit confusing...  this is basically the same info I got from James Bock @ Podium Motorsports Pirelli.  If anybody needs contact info, hit him up on Facebook--quick responses.  Super-nice guy and willing to help you out with what you need.

As for the Pirelli Superbike slicks ---  OMG <3   ((I'll preface that by saying that I have not run another slick tire for comparison))---   However, the communication I get from these things is amazing.  The out lap is confident, even sitting on the grid a few I still feel like the tire is ready to hold a corner and heats up quickly.  Slides are predictable but even in the few holy shit moments I've had, they were still not completely out of control.  The most recent was at South in the fishhook. HUGE rear slide on exit.  Dropped tire pressure below the "recommended hot range" per Kyle "perfect hair" Mathews and solved that problem.

If anybody's considering a tire change and not sure what to try next, it's a great tire.   If you're DIY tire changer too, it's a softer carcass and easier to maneuver onto the rim. 

Trying out an SC0 for the first time at VIR in July if the temps hold.  Can't wait...    :clap:

Joel Abernathy #666 :cr:

13 Ducati 1199 Panigale S
14 Ducati 1199 Panigale S (Exorcism/resurrection in-progress)
02 Honda 600F4i (Rain)

52 Ruhe

• Is my name GOOGLE Mother fucker!!!!!!
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 01:06:34 PM »

Dunlop problem solved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike Ruhe #52

Managing Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

Mobile: 404-435-8427

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

RocketDan

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 01:06:54 PM »

I ran Dunlop all last season and decided to try something different this season. Cause you don’t know until you try. So I went with Pirelli from the rumor they warm up quicker. Wanted to give them a shot after my cold tire out lap crash last season.

So far so good. I’ve burned off an SC3 and SC2 rear. SC1 is up next. I’ve also tried the SC1 front when it was cooler outside and now running the SC2.

Hard for me to compare the tire life as my pace changed a lot last year, but the rear seems comparable. I do get a feeling the Pirelli front will wear faster than the Dunlop front (which I think would last forever).

The rear tire price is comparable to a Dunlop rear. But the front is more expensive.

Only real con I’ve found so far is Jim doesn’t carry them :(

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 02:05:38 PM »

And set up data is fairly
Limited in the states for the bike you ride.
Mike Ruhe #52

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

Firebolt

• Control Rider
  • The real Slim Shady
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 04:05:41 PM »

Shetty is the expert to weigh in here as far getting the most out of your tire. He runs his Pirellis to the brink and is just as fast on new ones as he is on the one that's ragged out.  :adore: 

Here's my philosophy:   If you crash because you were pushing a tire that was toward the end of it's life doing the exact thing on a newer tire where you would not have crashed...  then you should have changed your tires.  Yes, you learn to manage tires and slides, etc. but we're running track days here, not endurance races or other events where you only get one set of tires and pits cost time/points/whatever.  Even the races that we would ever compete in at our level the tire is going to have a good amount of life left.   So, I choose to change my tires.   

The current ratio is 2 rears to one front, but that's my comfort level.  Sometimes 3:1, just depends.    Flipping the rear is the biggest help, which I tend to do when the middle wear indicator on the Pirelli starts to show good wear.  Less left-hand drive corners on the tracks we run, and I've never felt a lefter slide on me so, again, my comfort level.  That said, CMP destroys my SC2 rear tire.  After day 1 I flip it and even then, day to gets a little sketchy and it's DONE after two days.  I'd rather pay up front for tires then push a tire to the limit and have to spend crazy $ fixing a bike.    James @ Podium says that there's about a millimeter of good rubber past the wear indicator.  Even still, I will change a tire before I will keep running it.   As long as the winter OT keeps flowing, I'll keep having a stupid tire budget for the year  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 04:07:17 PM by Firebolt »

02 Honda 600F4i (Rain)

RocketDan

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 05:21:01 PM »

Shetty and I were talking at South Course. He definitely helped with some good knowledge.

I’m of the same opinion that a new tire is cheaper than new bike parts. I’ve seen guys run tires to the cords. I’m not that guy though... LOL

And I definitely flip the rear tire. So far I’ve gotten three days out of each rear. SC3 went a day at North and two at NCBike (where the R1 eats tires), and the SC2 went one at North and two at South. I’m sure both had some life left. I will be interested to see how the SC1 holds up. I have a take off on the bike and a new one that will go on for Sunday. I hope this gets me through the NNF days coming up.

I’m also curious how the SC1 grip compares. I think I was off base on my compound assumptions initially. I was thinking the SC2 was more a medium like the Dunlop and SC3 was like a Med+. But after some research and experience, i think the SC1 is closer to a Med and the SC2 is like a Med+. SC3 who knows but I am going to try it again at CMP.

This is turning into a good experiment for me as I’m getting a better understanding of tires in general, and how the different tires feel. Very low low level understanding, but more than I had before.

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

Firebolt

• Control Rider
  • The real Slim Shady
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 07:04:48 PM »

I’m happy with the 2 rear for cool/rough. How was the 3 on corner grip and exit acceleration?   I’ve never tried one. Sooooo  stoked to try the 0 at full (hopefully)... depends on weather. 

02 Honda 600F4i (Rain)

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 03:59:23 AM »

If anyone wants to borrow a durometer and some other gear we could do a comparison of the tires. Simple data Dunlop soft rear starts here. P tire starts here. X temp at x pace on x track?
Mike Ruhe #52

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

RocketDan

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 06:04:29 AM »

The SC3 seemed to have plenty of grip. I did set my PB at NCBIKE with one when it was shot. But I wouldn’t say I’m a great judge of these kinds of things yet. I can’t really tell when a tire drops off. I just go by how much rubber is left. I do plan on testing the SC3 some more and now that I’ve tried the SC2 I think I will have a better sense of how well it works.

I’d be down for a little durability testing.

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

meowculpa

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 05:21:30 PM »

Lol. Shetty is "NOT" an expert. Whether it's riding or on tires and such.. (Except Crashing - I might just be a grandmaster. lol). Most Control riders on here have been Control riding longer than I've been track riding. I've just lucked into Pirellis because they suit my riding style and therefore I've pursued (and have been fortunate to receive) good info from some race vendors / Wera Expert racers.

But, Mike is correct. Trackside support is key. Joel's is a good example. He mentions the huge rear slide at the fish hook at recommended pressures. It was at the recommendations of Kyle that he changed pressures and improved instantly. Joel was willing to experiment because he felt Kyle to be a credible source, that's all.

Same with the front tire. Since it's a softer carcass than dunlops, fast riders / hard brakers can have a feeling that their front end can sometime plough. To recognize this as sidewall flex and tune it via bumping pressures as opposed to an alice in wonderland moment - going down the rabbit hole of suspension adjustments, requires knowledge. It's that knowledge that makes the difference. (quite like, listening to a control rider as you are coming up the ranks). It's also the reason, I seldom advise others to pick tires that are not carried by their vendor. Now, if you have a vendor for your preferred tire on speed dial, and he helps guide you through- more power!

When I was an intermediate rider, I wanted a good tire w/o the hassle of warmers. Enter Pirelli Superbike PRO. They were fantastic for my pace and I loved the feedback. As my pace picked up, I paid more attention to the tires, bike etc. Kept with the family because the bike was set up for this. Over time, I've noticed other aspects of my riding that goes well with the tire. And the generic pressure range have been on the money. Tried Michelin slicks once in late 2015 or 16, cos someone said it was like a Pirelli. Rear Grip was excellent, didn't like the profile of the front - definitely didn't last. Went back to Pirelli and never looked back. If it's good enough for world supersport, it's good enough for me.
 Pretending like an ostrich, with it's head in the sand has never felt so good!  :rofl:

For the ones using pirelli, these are my preferences.
SC2 is my preferred front tire. (SC1 is the popular workhorse)
SC2 is my preferred rear in cold temps or abrasive tracks. (aka Jennings)
SC1 is my preferred rear tire for all the PRE events I attend (VIR, Rd Atlanta)
 I've never tried the SC3 rear. Durability is not so much an issue with a 104 hp bike and not having pointy end pace. I get 5-6 days out of a rear tire. Front seems to last 10-12 days or more.
S/S # 47: Malpractice Makes Perfect!
08 CBR 600RR (A & B)

spiderman636

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 07:54:51 PM »

Great info shetty!!

OTP Racing
#23 - SV650

Firebolt

• Control Rider
  • The real Slim Shady
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 08:17:00 PM »

See, there's that Shetty expert info I was talking about.   :cool: :adore:

02 Honda 600F4i (Rain)

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.