Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VIR South  (Read 425 times)

Detroitsown

VIR South
« on: May 29, 2018, 09:27:29 PM »

The Kilted Racing Clan will be representing once again at the PRE VIR South event.  As we have always run VIR North, this will be our first time on the South course...looking forward to someone showing us the race line. 

We are bringing a newbie to our group although he has been riding with us for many years and is one our true brothers.  So a first time track rider, and a first time PRE rider...let's bust his cherry proper.  LOL 

Brother Steve after his shoulder reconstruction (and I say reconstruction- not replacement) will be on the Daytona for his first time after the surgery.  So good to have him back...those of you who know Steve understand how much he is loved.

We'll have our kilts washed, ironed, and patches adorned..."cause balls this big don't fit in pants"  (a world war-I reference from a meme of scottish soldiers attacking a trench in their kilts).

Mike...we won't be riding Sunday...#goodcigars #goodscotch #goodtimes

The Donimal
Kilted Racing
Triumph TT 600

Firebolt

• Control Rider
  • The real Slim Shady
Re: VIR South
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 09:40:16 PM »

OMG another three-day event with the Kilted crew!   I wonder if I'll survive the second night hahahaha <3
Joel Abernathy #666 :cr:

13 Ducati 1199 Panigale S
14 Ducati 1199 Panigale S (Exorcism/resurrection in-progress)
02 Honda 600F4i (Rain)

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 04:53:13 AM »

South is awesome :thumbup:
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

Viffer

• Control Rider
    • Max Speed Cycles
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 12:37:34 PM »

I second that..South is Awesome!!
Jim Eglinger
Max Speed Cycles
336-993-6661
WWW.MAXSPEEDCYCLES.COM

SShort

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 11:21:47 AM »

Finally back at VIR and FINALLY back on track.  Like the old saying goes, "I ain't broke, rather badly bent".  Can't wait to hang out with y'all again as it's gonna be a hoot.  I've never been on South course only North but it looks like a scream.

Looking forward to it!   
Steve Short
Kilted Racing-OG
Triumph Daytona 675

52 Ruhe

• Is my name GOOGLE Mother fucker!!!!!!
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 03:55:19 PM »

South is a track that gets too
little respect because it sits in North’s shadow.
People turn their nose up at it.
It is hands down one of the most fun tracks you are ever going to run. Yeah it is less than 2 miles but you get tons of laps at some tricky fuggin’ corners. 1 will suck you in and spit you out into Purgatory and if that doesn’t catch you out watching smoke pour off Basim’s rear tire through (2) “The Bitch” might.
4 takes a lot of commitment to get in there fast find some solid references here. Couple of quick flicks down the hill 5-6 get a good drive and go deep into fishhook for late apex. GTFOTGH
And hang off up 9 into another great turn 10 super fast left with a hill following it that reminds you of that big drop on your first roller coaster. Stay in the gas late downshift let the hill scrub speed and make 11-12 one big turn. GTFOTGH repeat.

Sounds so simple. South ladies and gentlemen South!!!!!
See ya there. 

Mike Ruhe #52

Managing Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

Mobile: 404-435-8427

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 04:41:23 AM »

There is a reason why we always have a really big Advanced group at South, so it gets plenty of respect from the fast guys. The people who turn their nose up at it just don't know any better yet. No different than not knowing your suspension sucks until you finally get on a bike where it's dialed in. As riders progress through the groups they will eventually understand why South is such a great track, or at least they should. Even for the fast guys who already have it figured out, it's a great practice track.

It's a very difficult track to ride well. It has everything that you might encounter at some of the bigger tracks, all in one short course, so if you can do well at South you can ride well at any of the tracks I've ever been to. Hard braking, fast straight, flat turns, blind turns, combination turns, decreasing radius, off camber, on camber, late apexes, big elevation change, etc. It has it all. This is why I day it's the best learning track we go to. There just isn't any place else that has all that stuff in one track. It's also short enough that we can do a track walk in a reasonable amount of time to help our riders understand how to figure it all out.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 04:50:16 AM by JRA »
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

SShort

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 10:25:18 AM »

Great points guys, I'm really looking forward to it allbeit with some nerves due to my latest chassis upgrade (Thinking I should re-number to SR-71). In looking over the track map and Youtube footage I can see exactly what you mention in that there's a lot of elements from other tracks especially RA and NCM but with the familiar, tight VIR'ness that I really dig.
Hopefully can get there in time the track walk as again it's short enough to get round in a reasonable amount of time. As always I'm looking forward to seeing everyone and getting back out there.

Steve Short
Kilted Racing-OG
Triumph Daytona 675

seasnake

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 04:51:45 PM »

I'm just glad PRE is doing 2 South events this year.  I'm at what my wife says is the happiest place on earth.  At least I get to practice being in traffic, concentrating on performing well in intense heat , looking ahead, patience in lines and always remembering there is someone on my ass.  Too bad they don't understand what raising my arm or shaking a leg means.
Stupid is supposed to hurt

Dave Miller
'14 S1000RR

seasnake

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 04:52:46 PM »

Be safe out there guys and save some for me in July!
Stupid is supposed to hurt

Dave Miller
'14 S1000RR

Mick

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 05:33:57 PM »

Being my first time on south and it is my favorite. I have only been on full, north, patriot and NC bike. And the purgatory joke I thought was novice lifer. Gould worked with me and I got bumped to I. Man it was fun falling in on some laps with faster riders and learning. I can’t wait to turn some laps soon.
Thanks to all the control riders who worked with me Spinak helped me allot and even took the time to find me in the paddock and to go over some tips on my riding. All I can say is PRE is the best thanks for the great events and the effort for safety on my behalf and my family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mick

13 GSXR 750

RocketDan

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 06:38:06 PM »

Congrats on the bump Mick!

I too had a great time riding this weekend. I will be honest, South course has never been one of my favorites. But  these past few days I really started to see the charm and appreciate the character of the course. I’m looking forward to going back next month!

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 36 queries.