Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DZUS fasteners - which do you use?  (Read 145 times)

bigshug1

DZUS fasteners - which do you use?
« on: April 27, 2018, 04:49:31 PM »

Currently, I have the rivet on type (from Kurvey Girl) that doesn't have S-springs and I don't dislike them even a little...

That said, the tail section I bought from Ruhe used the S spring rivet on fasteners and the bodywork I bought at NCBike as clip-on S-spring fasteners.

Is it a matter of personal preference? It seems to me that a rivet on kit would put a bit less stress on the hole you've drilled since it won't allow things to wallow around while you're riding...but I've also been known to be wrong. Frequently.

What do you have?
Shane Carwile
Intermediate Group
2015 Yamaha R6 - #247
2017 Yamaha R6 - (probably) my backup bike :)

cartmen34

Re: DZUS fasteners - which do you use?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 10:26:23 PM »

I have these on my R6 and I love them.  Easy to install, easy to lock into place.  And they have never come loose in the 7 years I've been using them.

The Sharkskinz for my R1 came pre-installed with their custom dzus fasteners.  I hated every second of these stupid fucking things.  They're next to worthless.  Designed by a masochist to be sure.  They refused to 'catch' and latch.  I'd spend several minutes per fastener twisting, turning, tweaking, trying to get them to latch onto the backing plate.  Then when you attempt to remove them those stupid latching 'wings' get caught on the backing plate and then the bodywork and refuse to come out smoothly and cleanly.  More often than not the fasteners would be completely loose but the pieces of bodywork refused to separate because they were caught on the fastener 'wings'.  Then, to make matters worse, they had a tendency come unfastened while on track.  More than a few times I came back into the pits and these were hanging by the retaining washer.  Once the retaining washer failed and I lost a fastener on track. 

After I crashed the R1 and had the bodywork repaired I drilled out the backing plates and started using the OEM R1 clips, bolts, and retaining washers everywhere.  They're awesome.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 10:30:34 PM by cartmen34 »

bigshug1

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 01:30:46 PM »

Gotcha - I tend to overthink...well...everything...lol

I was always worried that the clip on stuff would put undue stress on the fiberglass holes the actual fastener goes through...since the locking part isn't locked in place.

If you've been using them for that long, though, maybe I'll give them a shot. Appreciate the info!
Shane Carwile
Intermediate Group
2015 Yamaha R6 - #247
2017 Yamaha R6 - (probably) my backup bike :)

cartmen34

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 09:28:22 PM »

Gotcha - I tend to overthink...well...everything...lol
Dude, I get it.  I'm a software developer.  They pay me to overthink everything!  Its a habit that transfers to basically EVERY part of my life!  lol

I was always worried that the clip on stuff would put undue stress on the fiberglass holes the actual fastener goes through...since the locking part isn't locked in place.

That's a fair concern, but its not a problem... at least its not been with any of mine.  They're a *very* snug clip, so it'll peel of the paint, but its not on the part of the bodywork that anybody but you will see, so I don't see that as a problem.  The OEM R1 clips are much more flexible and don't need nearly as much force to install as the woodcraft ones, but they'll still peel off the paint if you need to move them around.

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 04:10:02 AM »

I've used both. The clip on style are easier to install, but I usually use the rivet style. They both work just fine as far as I'm concerned.
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.