Member Forums > Ask Max Speed

rotor question

(1/1)

sportracer07:
Hey jim just wondering if u can do bead blasting on rotors,  i have been told buy a few pple that i should have them bead blasted after every season, is there any truth to this???  Is there a way i can do it myself??

52 Ruhe:
Just get a foam sanding block and use a circular motion. Work your way around the rotor. Spend some time doing this. Goal is to get the media from the pads that is bedded in off the rotors.
For best results do it any time you change pad compounds.
Always wipe rotors down with contact cleaner after scuffing them. Jim can give you the 411 on many pad brands and compounds. I do not think he carries Vesrah if that's your brand. Julie at kurveygirl.com provides said sanding block and instructions when you purchase pads from her. She is great to deal with and ships fast.
Jim can bring them to the track!!!!!!

Sent from your iPhone using Tapatalk. Yes I am in the house!!!!!

jsnonzzr:

--- Quote from: sportracer07 on September 22, 2017, 09:07:09 PM ---Hey jim just wondering if u can do bead blasting on rotors,  i have been told buy a few pple that i should have them bead blasted after every season, is there any truth to this???  Is there a way i can do it myself??

--- End quote ---

I had a set bead blasted on my old zzr600.  the buttons (float rings or whatever there called) need to be taped up well to avoid getting the media stuck in there.    this also removed the finish of the carrier so that was powder coated again after.    That being said, I have no clue if this is actually a good idea.  it worked for me and I never noticed anything wrong with the bike on street usage.

JRA:
It works great but like you said everything but the actual rotor needs to be taped over. A sanding block and five minutes will get the same result though.

52 Ruhe:
No matter what make sure you wipe rotors down with brake / contact cleaner

Sent from your iPhone using Tapatalk. Yes I am in the house!!!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version