Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Slicks vs GPA's  (Read 6958 times)

Echs332000

Slicks vs GPA's
« on: August 15, 2017, 01:35:46 PM »

Jim,

Thinking about making a switch on my tires.  Not that i need Race rubber.  My rs10's seem to be doing a good job.  I would like the added confidence of race rubber.

As far as sizing,  what are my option on the 2007 r6?
2011 ZX10r
2007 R6
2014 ZX10r
I-Group

VIR IS THE DEVIL!

jbasim51

• Control Rider
Re: Slicks vs GPA's
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 03:24:51 PM »

Once you go slicks, you feel like street compounds are like riding on ice. That sticky confidence building icky

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk because Spinak likes seeing this Signature

Joe "Dirt" Basim
Director
CCS #51
K7 GSXR 1000 - Taking the paint off of new R1's since 2007
2012 Ducati 848 Corse (Getting a Heart Transplant)
2015 Honda Grom
2018 GSXR-1000R

bmart

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 04:07:13 PM »

Is that true? I've never run slicks at any pace but the guys I talk to say that the GP-A and slicks feel the same. I've never needed more grip than my Q3 rear has provided! :)
Brad in Charlotte, NC
'03 R6 track bikes, CB-1 and VFR800 street bikes

Echs332000

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 08:38:08 PM »

Once you go slicks, you feel like street compounds are like riding on ice. That sticky confidence building icky

Damnit,  my bank account is allergic to slicks.  But i may just do it next season
2011 ZX10r
2007 R6
2014 ZX10r
I-Group

VIR IS THE DEVIL!

Viffer

• Max Speed Cycles
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 07:58:08 AM »

For your R6 the options are GPA Pro's or 190/120 sized slicks.  The slicks are the better priced of the two.  PM me for prices as I am not allowed to post prices online.   

Bmart, the GPA pro was derived from the 200 slick.  And you only think you haven't needed anymore grip than the Q3's could provide because you haven't had the opportunity to run slicks at pace, because then you would see a whole new world of traction and stability.  Try it, YOU WILL LIKE IT!

cartmen34

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 01:55:03 PM »

A little late to the party, but... a word of advice on fitting GPAs vs slicks on your 07 r6 (I have the same bike)

The stock rear rim on that year r6 is a 180.  GPAs come in 190/60 (I think).  Slicks come in 190/60 and 190/55 (Again, Jim can confirm this)

My point being: If you try and fit a 190/60 on a 180 rim it'll fit, but it'll be really tall. 
This means: depending on how far back your chain adjustment is the tire could hit the front of the swingarm.  I am currently running a D211 190/60 and I can't really get my tire warmers on as they hit the front of the swingarm.  I could re-adjust my chain, but its a bit snug already.

So a 190/55 might be better for you if you plan on running warmers.  I *think* they won't be quite as tall as a 190/60 and give you a bit more clearance.

Jim?  Yes?  No?  Maybe?  Ignore Tracey he's an idiot?     :)  :doh:

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 02:59:55 PM »

Dunlop slicks are all 190 or 200. I've always run the 200 on my 5.5 inch wheel on my 750. I prefer that tire, and I prefer the medium compound rear vs. the medium+ most of the time. The medium isn't currently available in the 190 rear slick, only DOT.

The biggest advantage to running slicks on an R6 over DOT's is that slicks will last longer. For the level of pace of most average track day riders run the difference in grip would be a lot more noticeable between compounds vs. the difference between slicks and DOT's. What I mean is that if you run a medium+ slick against a medium+ DOT you wont' notice much difference except longevity of the tires. If you run a medium DOT against a medium+ slick you will definitely notice a difference in grip. The medium+ will last longer because it's a slick, and also because it's a harder compound. The medium tire compound is a warm weather compound in my experience, and they don't last as long, but they are awesome.

The DOT 190 tire is built for the R6. I'm sure Ruhe knows the exact chain length you need to get the optimum wheel base. If your chain is too short to run the 190 then you need a new chain.

You can also refer back to this linked thread for some more on tire sizes. Don't get caught up in the number on the sidewall. Shaun the only thing you should concern yourself with is what works on your bike. There is probably more knowledge available about R6's, tires, and set up than there is for any other bike. http://www.preforum.net/index.php?topic=1448.0
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 03:02:42 PM by JRA »
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

spiderman636

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 05:26:30 PM »

Just out of curiosity. Why do you want slicks? Is it purely for confidence? Is there anything you are feeling that makes you lose confidence in the tires you have? Do you think any part of the reason is that you think you will at least go a little faster by simply putting on a better tire?

I ask all of these questions because I have gone through similar thought process. I ultimately didn't go to slicks until last event actually even though  started considering it 2 years ago. Another thing to consider is will you keep heat in the tires. Not only at your pace but at the pace of the group you ride in. If you get behind a rider in novice group and decide to be safe and  not pass until the straight you might lap 2:05 around north. Are your tires under temp now?idk but it's not something I would want to wonder about. CRs do this all the time (run slow laps in novice on slicks then go out in A group and are fine) but keep in mind the CRs are most skilled than most of us and tend to be more in tune with what the bike is doing under them and likely adjust their riding to compensate for the change I  traction until they are up to temp.

My personal opinion (and thats truly all it is) is that learning to ride the bike without all the bells and whistles will ultimately make you a better rider. Assuming the components you have are actually sufficient and safe for a track day pace.

OTP Racing
#23 - SV650

jbasim51

• Control Rider
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 06:24:14 PM »

There is definitely a lap of getting heat in the tires for me. As your pace quickens, you learn to listen to your tires and let them speak the truth to you. I have been known not to listen to their wisdom at times, but in this case no means no......

Joe "Dirt" Basim
Director
CCS #51
K7 GSXR 1000 - Taking the paint off of new R1's since 2007
2012 Ducati 848 Corse (Getting a Heart Transplant)
2015 Honda Grom
2018 GSXR-1000R

RocketDan

• Control Rider
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 06:38:42 AM »

Does anyone have opinions running a different compound on the front? I've only run the Medium. How do you like the soft vs Medium vs Medium +?

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

bmart

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 08:54:34 PM »

So, I can't tell who is writing to whom!

I run the Dunlop DOT Medium compound on the front unless I get other compounds. If so, then I run soft at smooth tracks and med+ (or Q3) at rough track and in cooler weather.

I run a very short wheelbase and a big pizza platter rear sprocket. For me it works. The chain is as short as it can get and the 190 just fits with plenty of clearance and without rubbing. The Woodcraft warmers were always a tight squeeze. The Moto-D fit fine.

As John mentioned, the #s on teh sidewall mean nothing. You have to get the true measurements for the tires you plan to use, understand how they change shape on width different rims, and know what you're looking for. I did a lot of testing with the Q3 sizes, for instance and there were significant differences between them and depending on the PSI run on each.

I'm in Kevin's camp. If you're after lap times, then get all of the bling and top notch stuff. If you're after rider improvement, like I am, I run a range of things so that I can learn how to work with each of them. I still have stock clipons, rearsets, and nearly everything else. i'm working on me out there, not equipment to get better lap times.

Slicks? Meh. I like how the bike works with the tires I already have.
Brad in Charlotte, NC
'03 R6 track bikes, CB-1 and VFR800 street bikes

Echs332000

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 05:30:32 AM »

For me its a confidence issue.

My current tires are bridgestone rs10.  Im willing to bet that they are 100% beyond my skill level and that they can handle anything i can throw at them.

But its a issue thats still in the back of my head.   That takes my mind off what i should be focusing on.

My brain works very differently than most.  Im constantly looking at worst case examples.
2011 ZX10r
2007 R6
2014 ZX10r
I-Group

VIR IS THE DEVIL!

RocketDan

• Control Rider
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 06:09:34 AM »

Brad, everyone is always talking to you ;)
Thanks for the compound info.

Shawn, I would start with the GPS Pro or if you can still find them, the 211 GPA. These basically come in one size.

I tried the Dunlop race tires years ago. And though I didn't have the skill or pace to use them quite yet, they helped give me a better understanding of what tires feel like. I did go back to using street tires. RS10 and Q3, mainly because my pace in Novice and early intermediate I had a hard time keeping heat in them. Not having heat didn't mean I all of a sudden fell over, the bike just had an inconsistent feel from one lap to the next if I got hung up in traffic.

After trying race tires and going back to street tires I had a better feeling with what the street tires were doing.

I say give it a shot, all part of the learning process.

PS: I never liked the RS10. Gives very little feedback. I couldn't go fast on it either.

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

RocketDan

• Control Rider
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 06:10:06 AM »

Brad, everyone is always talking to you ;)
Thanks for the compound info.

Shawn, I would start with the GPS Pro or if you can still find them, the 211 GPA. These basically come in one size.

I tried the Dunlop race tires years ago. And though I didn't have the skill or pace to use them quite yet, they helped give me a better understanding of what tires feel like. I did go back to using street tires. RS10 and Q3, mainly because my pace in Novice and early intermediate I had a hard time keeping heat in them. Not having heat didn't mean I all of a sudden fell over, the bike just had an inconsistent feel from one lap to the next if I got hung up in traffic.

After trying race tires and going back to street tires I had a better feeling with what the street tires were doing.

I say give it a shot, all part of the learning process.

PS: I never liked the RS10. Gives very little feedback. I couldn't go fast on it either.

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

dbosch11

• Newbie For Life!
  • Control Rider
  • GWC
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 07:13:50 AM »

I have been riding Edelweiss a 2010 r6  for almost 2 years now.
The GPA PRO and the slicks are both phenomenal tires. Your confidence will be happy with either.

The reason I ran GPA PRO's most of the season was for the duality of the tire. (no spare rims or rains)
While you can race in a torrential downpour with standing water on the track on GPA PRO's I don't recommend it!  :eek:
The GPA PRO has worked for me during most of the conditions we have had.
Slicks last a long time but Heidel and  I could get some serious life out of the DOTs (see picture below)

Slick tires on a warm sunny day is a magical feeling for the right hand.
I wanted a competitive edge in the VIR race and the weather was glorious.
We mounted the slicks and fastest I ever went around VIR was that weekend.
I believe I could do the same times on DOT's but it wouldn't be as comfortable with slicks fitted.

For next season my ideal set up will be slicks and rains mounted on rims.
d11b
10 r6
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 24 queries.