Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Starting racing in 2017?  (Read 14580 times)

andrew230

• Control Rider
Re: Starting racing in 2017?
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 03:04:07 PM »

I emailed them and got some info from Virginia, She said it is the for Wera but CCS also excepts it. she told me 310 but on Jennings website it is 275 for the day and the class. That's cheaper then anywhere else I have seen.

Andrew Gold ccs#230

2011 gsxr-750

spiderman636

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 03:26:23 PM »

Thank you.  I am hoping to make it and I told Nick that I wanted to do the class with someone I know.  I was hoping he would procrastinate lol

Sig

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 04:36:25 PM »

If you haven't done it and you want to do it just go for it. Just realize there is a lot of difference in a track day and racing. Nobody will stuff you up the inside at a track day and before you know it you will be doing it to somebody racing for a cheap wooden plaque  ;) Good news is once you get used to racing you will feel like a track day has tons and tons of space passing.

the alternative to racing is to just keep doing track days and just set a little bit of money on fire in addition.  :tiphat:

:2cents: from a guy who got his white plate and called it done.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 04:38:33 PM by Sig »

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 04:58:25 PM »

the alternative to racing is to just keep doing track days and just set a little bit of money on fire in addition.  :tiphat:

Lol. Didn't you mean a lot instead of a little? :D
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

spiderman636

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 04:58:45 PM »

If you haven't done it and you want to do it just go for it. Just realize there is a lot of difference in a track day and racing. Nobody will stuff you up the inside at a track day and before you know it you will be doing it to somebody racing for a cheap wooden plaque  ;) Good news is once you get used to racing you will feel like a track day has tons and tons of space passing.

:2cents: from a guy who got his white plate and called it done.
Thanks! Honestly for me the only reason I want to race is to get some practice passing and being passed in tighter spaces and hopefully learn some "race craft".  I often get stuck behind someone and I marginally faster than them and have no idea how or when to pass unless i force myself to brake extra late going into turn 1.

I imagine myself only being interested in a year or 2 of amateur racing.  I looked up times and I'm no where near the front of amateur sv guys.  But I can compete for second to last lol

Sig

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 07:16:10 AM »

Lol. Didn't you mean a lot instead of a little? :D

True, a lot would be a more accurate statement. Lol

Steve Gould

• Control Rider
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2017, 04:53:34 PM »

That's true. I spend a ton of money. Upwards of 800 bucks a race weekend to ride a total of 30 laps. It's exciting but if you're looking to maximize your dollar per lap, it ain't racing!

spiderman636

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2017, 10:08:35 AM »

Jeez.  You guys are almost talking me out of it lol

RocketDan

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2017, 10:55:20 AM »

You won't be racing a liter bike so your tire and fuel cost will be much lower

Sig

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2017, 11:59:29 AM »

You won't be racing a liter bike so your tire and fuel cost will be much lower

Riiiiiiiiiight.

spiderman636

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2017, 03:46:45 PM »

If I get my license I'll see how a few weekends go.

I do believe,  maybe falsely,  that being on a sv,  and willing to race on Q3s,  and being slow as shit shouldn't be as expensive. 

bmart

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2017, 04:12:18 PM »

I have never raced, but I have been the whole pit crew for a few friends who have. That meant getting them in and out at the track, getting them to and from the track, visiting them in the ambulance, and more than one complete rebuild of a whole bike. Plus a million small things that absorb whole days at a time.

If you have that gene or just want to knock it off of your list, have at it. I'm sure that you'll have an absolute blast. But know that it is a lot more risky, IMHO, as no one at track day is willing to risk everything (their everything and yours) for a piece of plastic screwed to a piece of wood.

The costs are exponentially higher. As someone mentioned, it is more money for less track time. Multiply that by occurrence. Like everything, it is a trade off. I don't have a competitive bone in my body, so it was never going to be for me.

You may really enjoy it, but you'll probably want to discuss it with your little one before you commit.
Brad in Charlotte, NC
'03 & '04 R6 track bikes, CB-1 and VFR800 street bikes
2006 R1 track bike for sale.

spiderman636

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2017, 05:20:51 PM »

Brad,  what you said is pretty similar to how I feel.  From asking around I've heard racing SVs is pretty different than the Supersport 600s or 1000s. Not that guys aren't competitive but I've just heard it's a pretty different crowd. 

For me,  my main reason is to try to learn a little "race craft"  for lack of a better term. I currently get very little time with bikes in close proximity to me.  I don't get alot of opportunities to practice passing because even if i catch up I am typically left behind on the straight.  If I were just substantially more skilled then I probably wouldn't have this problem.

It's just one of those things I want in my tool belt.  Passing.  Getting passed.  Comfort of bikes in close proximity. Things I see when I watch A group sessions but idk how else I'll get it.

I don't care about plaques or anything. For me,  it's really just trying to add things to my tool belt.

TGRIFF

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2017, 07:06:11 PM »

Brad,  what you said is pretty similar to how I feel.  From asking around I've heard racing SVs is pretty different than the Supersport 600s or 1000s. Not that guys aren't competitive but I've just heard it's a pretty different crowd. 

For me,  my main reason is to try to learn a little "race craft"  for lack of a better term. I currently get very little time with bikes in close proximity to me.  I don't get alot of opportunities to practice passing because even if i catch up I am typically left behind on the straight.  If I were just substantially more skilled then I probably wouldn't have this problem.

It's just one of those things I want in my tool belt.  Passing.  Getting passed.  Comfort of bikes in close proximity. Things I see when I watch A group sessions but idk how else I'll get it.

I don't care about plaques or anything. For me,  it's really just trying to add things to my tool belt.

Just get you a 250, you will get passed a whole lot, sometimes close enough to get your attention :)

spiderman636

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2017, 07:17:52 PM »

Just get you a 250, you will get passed a whole lot, sometimes close enough to get your attention :)
I knew you would chime in haha.  I passed you twice last year...  No need to mention that once was while your bike was having mechanical issues,  the other was in the paddock.  Hey I gotta take what I can get lol

Serious question for you though.  Do you feel confident and comfortable making passes on the 250? How did you get practice? At North,  pretty much all my passes come on the brakes in turn one or top of the roller coaster. But there's lots of places I feel I could pass but I am just really sure how to execute it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.