Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Enclosed Trailer Floor Cleaning??  (Read 8747 times)

crankspleenless

Enclosed Trailer Floor Cleaning??
« on: June 07, 2016, 01:09:25 PM »

I just picked up an enclosed trailer. Previous owner was a race team company (car). Deal was too good to pass up but the floor has oil and fuel smell intoxicating the interior.

The floor is solid. Is there a way to clean and use some sort of paint/sealer/coating that will make the floor look good, as well as, seal off the odor? I'm gonna be building in the front to sleep in so I want the smell gone.

And yeah, I know replacing the floor is an option and the only good one I have right now.

JRA

• Administrator
Re: Enclosed Trailer Floor Cleaning??
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 03:28:52 PM »

Use some deck cleaner and pressure wash it, see how that does. Worst case you can replace the floor, but I bet a scrubbing will do wonders for it.
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

crankspleenless

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 05:43:55 PM »

I guess that would be the smartest route.

Thanks JRA

crankspleenless

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 09:06:43 AM »

Anyone have suggestions for the strongest cleaner?

Natrix

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 04:07:20 PM »

I'm thinking an oil-based cleaner might be good in this case (as long as it doesn't leave an oily residue, of course!).
I don't know about strongest, but Lestoil purports to do well on oil, grease, etc.
Murphy Oil Soap might be another choice (maybe for a second washing).
I've never used Lestoil, and I only used the Murphy once and don't recall the condition of the wood afterward.
I'd love to know if you manage to get it clean.
Kerry

I'm not slow; I'm deliberate :D
:i: 333 - '06 GSX-R750

RocketDan

• Control Rider
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 04:17:28 PM »

I would try simple green. Maybe even the purple commercial stuff. You can get it at Lowes.

If that doesn't work maybe step up to grease lightning.

If that works maybe an oil soap after that to fill in the pores or just a wood/deck sealer.

That's my thoughts on it

crankspleenless

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 09:15:44 AM »

I'm thinking an oil-based cleaner might be good in this case (as long as it doesn't leave an oily residue, of course!).
I don't know about strongest, but Lestoil purports to do well on oil, grease, etc.
Murphy Oil Soap might be another choice (maybe for a second washing).
I've never used Lestoil, and I only used the Murphy once and don't recall the condition of the wood afterward.
I'd love to know if you manage to get it clean.

Whatever I try, I'll do some before and after pics and whether or not it gets rid of some of the smell. I don't really even care about the appearance to be honest, but the smell HAS to go.

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 07:01:19 PM »

When you get it scrubbed down and smelling like fresh cut flowers. I would consider a good coat of kills to keep any residual oil from seeping back up. Are you going to finish the floor? Once you do kills a good marine paint with a little grit in in makes a cheap coating you can touch up but also adds some traction if floor or ramp get wet.

medium grey is a pretty durable color. Caulk all seems and run it less the grit up the wall about a foot foot and a half.

Nice trailer by the way.
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

Mobile: 404-435-8427

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

crankspleenless

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 10:27:09 AM »

When you get it scrubbed down and smelling like fresh cut flowers. I would consider a good coat of kills to keep any residual oil from seeping back up. Are you going to finish the floor? Once you do kills a good marine paint with a little grit in in makes a cheap coating you can touch up but also adds some traction if floor or ramp get wet.

medium grey is a pretty durable color. Caulk all seems and run it less the grit up the wall about a foot foot and a half.

Nice trailer by the way.

Thanks Ruhe.

Yeah, if I can scrub it and get it clean and minimize the odor, I believe I will go ahead and coat it with an oil-based gray paint. I did the sand and paint in my last trailer but I don't think I will do that this time. The ramp door is completely covered with diamond plate, so I won't need it there. The bike will have a Pitbull-TRS, so that will take care of the rear wheel and I will most likely cut a nice rectangle of diamond plate for the front wheel.

When the front gets built in, it will get padding and carpet. So the paint, padding, and carpet should do well with insulating and blocking the odor.

Natrix

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 12:06:13 AM »

I asked a chemist colleague of mine, and he recommended pressure washing to take off a thin top layer and then coating with Kilz then a good paint.
Kerry

I'm not slow; I'm deliberate :D
:i: 333 - '06 GSX-R750

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 04:46:45 AM »

If you're sure you're going to paint over the top of it then BIN is a shellac based primer that will definitely cover the smell. I use it on painted cabinets all the time because it sands so smooth, but it's also used to cover smoke and water damage after fires. Dries really quick so you can paint over it the same day.

If you use Kilz then get the oil based version. Takes a lot longer to dry, and you'll definitely want to run a fan to help with the fumes.
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

crankspleenless

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 08:25:07 AM »

If you're sure you're going to paint over the top of it then BIN is a shellac based primer that will definitely cover the smell. I use it on painted cabinets all the time because it sands so smooth, but it's also used to cover smoke and water damage after fires. Dries really quick so you can paint over it the same day.

If you use Kilz then get the oil based version. Takes a lot longer to dry, and you'll definitely want to run a fan to help with the fumes.

Well, JRA, I've seen pics of your work. I'm going to be taking your advice.  :thumbup:

So it looks like I am going to do: deck cleaner, power wash, BIN, paint. I would like to take the paint up the wall about a foot or so too... Should I seal off the floor/wall joints before primer and paint or is it thick enough to seal small seams? I figure I need to run some type of joint sealer...

jcrich

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 05:30:42 PM »

If there is widespread oil penetration of the wood on the floor Kilz will not seal it, in fact the Kilz will not adhere to it. Check under the trailer, if you see oil stain underneath just will not work. Had the same dilemma with my old trailer, I ended up overlaying the original floor with 1/4 inch plywood and using construction adhesive and screws to hold it in place

crankspleenless

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 11:53:32 AM »

Finally got time to attend to the trailer. 3 hours. scrubbed with deck cleaner and then pressure-washed. The difference is amazing. The smell is almost completely gone. There is just the slightest whiff you can only smell when really trying to pay attention to it.

Already ordered the BIN stuff JRA mentioned. Gonna lay that tonight.

I should have taken pictures of the floor mid-way through the pressure wash...

TonyPayne

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2020, 06:51:45 AM »

Thanks Ruhe.

Yeah, if I can scrub it and get it clean and minimize the odor, I believe I will go ahead and coat it with an oil-based gray paint. I did the sand and paint in my last trailer but I don't think I will do that this time. The ramp door is completely covered with diamond plate, so I won't need it there. The bike will have a Pitbull-TRS, so that will take care of the rear wheel and I will most likely cut a nice rectangle of diamond plate for the front wheel.

When the front gets built in, it will get padding and carpet. So the paint, padding, and carpet should do well with insulating and blocking the odor.
Carpet traps the dust and dirt but it also need to be cleaned after some point of time so that the floor and carpet remain clean. You can do carpet cleanig easily by using vinegar and limewater mixture.

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 22 queries.