Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New to PRE and to trackdays  (Read 288 times)

lee7

New to PRE and to trackdays
« on: June 07, 2018, 06:14:38 PM »

Hello everyone!! My name's Lee and I'll be riding at a track for the first time at VIR South (6/15). I'm 26, live near Charlotte and am obsessed with my R6 which Ive had for 2 years now.

I have been to VIR once before to watch a race, so I am super excited to actually be able to ride the same track, it looks amazing!

I've read the rules and track day regulations, but as a total newbie, I would love any tips/suggestions you guys might have. I really look forward to meeting you all!
2012 R6 #7

spiderman636

Re: New to PRE and to trackdays
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 08:29:27 PM »

Hi Lee,

Welcome. You picked an awesome event for your first track day. Hope you stick around Saturday evening for the festivities and fundraiser event. It's awesome!

I also live in Charlotte. I ride in intermediate group and will be riding Friday and Saturday. If you have any questions, wanna talk Track or anything shoot me a message. If you want someone to take a high level look at your bike you can post some pictures and one of the coaches will respond or feel free to come by the house and I can give you my 2 cents.

Hope too see you there and welcome. If you see some guys in OTP Racing shirts come say what's up.

OTP Racing
#23 - SV650

Echs332000

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 03:44:03 AM »

Welcome to PRE

Bring water.  Lot of water.  Drink it even when your not thirsty.

Make sure you have a canopy or find a friend that has one that you can PIT with.

Make sure your bike is track ready before the day of the event. That way your not rushing around trying to prep it. 

become a sponge and learn everything you can.

Try not to dangle the leg going into corners
2011 ZX10r
2007 R6
2014 ZX10r
I-Group

VIR IS THE DEVIL!

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 04:21:57 AM »

Welcome Lee. In my biased opinion you have picked the right group to ride with too.  :D

VIR South is awesome, you'll love it. Keep an eye out for the event email we send out a couple of days prior to each trackday. It will answer almost every question you might have about the event.
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

the-uno

• KCCO
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 05:31:44 AM »

Welcome to PRE! South course is awesome. Be prepared to have a great time.

As mentioned earlier bring lots of water. hydrate hydrate hydrate. If you don't have a canopy or someone to pit with that has a canopy I have an extra you could borrow for the event. Just let me know if you need one.
06 R6 #111  :a:
:ws:

Nick "uno" Munson

Natrix

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 08:15:35 AM »

Welcome, Lee! This is a great organization you’ve chosen.

(Sorry in advance for my crap punctuation; I’m doing this on my phone.)

+1 re: water. Bring 5-6 liters for a day, at least. Some folks probably drink more.

If you don’t mind expanding your operation a bit from the get-go, in addition to a canopy (if you have one yet; it’ll be a must if you’re going to do more track days), bring a camping chair, a fan or two (walmart has these small round tiltable Honeywell fans that lots of folks use to keep their helmets dry; the small version will work for your helmet, and a bigger fan will be good to keep you cool), and a really long extension cord. With any luck, you’ll get there early enough to get access to  a power outlet.

South is great! Technical and fun. If you can make it for the track walk, do. It’ll be at the end of your day of riding (Fri @ 5:45), so it might be tough to squeeze in, but you’ll gain lots of knowledge, and you can take notes for next time.

Watch lots of YouTube videos (try to stick with the smoothest riders). Watch a few to get familiar with the track and find some good ones to really learn from. Print the track map from virnow.com, and on that take some notes from the videos - note things you might think will work for braking markers, turn-in-point references, etc., at each turn. You’ll end up adjusting it all quite a bit after spending time on the real track at your own pace, but you’ll come in feeling more prepared all around.

Have fun! (I’m sure you will; words can’t express how gutted I am that I can’t make it to this event this year.)
Kerry

I'm not slow; I'm deliberate :D
N 333 - '06 GSX-R750

RocketDan

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 09:28:00 AM »

Welcome!

Don’t be afraid to ask questions at the track. Everyone with PRE is super friendly and will be glad to help. Also, be sure to take advantage of the coaches. They are there to help and do a great job of helping riders improve.

Lastly, be prepared to be addicted ;)

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

jbasim51

• Control Rider
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 12:06:57 PM »

Welcome to the family! Do not hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions. This is a great group of folks with years of knowledge in the paddock. Some of these guys have forgotten more about riding than I have learned. Looking forward to putting a face with a name next week!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Joe "Dirt" Basim
Director
CCS #51
K7 GSXR 1000 - Taking the paint off of new R1's since 2007
2012 Ducati 848 Corse (Getting a Heart Transplant)
2015 Honda Grom

lee7

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 05:02:22 PM »

Welcome to PRE! South course is awesome. Be prepared to have a great time.

As mentioned earlier bring lots of water. hydrate hydrate hydrate. If you don't have a canopy or someone to pit with that has a canopy I have an extra you could borrow for the event. Just let me know if you need one.

Thank you, I am really looking forward to it (literally been counting down the days)!

I do not have a canopy yet, so if I could please borrow yours for the day, that would be super amazing. Plus then I will have an idea of what kind to purchase for any future track days.
2012 R6 #7

lee7

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 05:11:30 PM »

Thank you all for the kind welcome and suggestions! Ive had a map of the south course on my table for a while now and Ive been watching youtube videos in my spare time trying to learn the track, where the markers are and what gear I should be in in which corner. If you guys have links to some good videos of the south course, I would love to watch them.

I cant wait to meet you all and take a look at your amazing machines. Ive been in love with motorcycles all my life, so Ive been wanting to be part of a group that shares my passion (my friends/family are all so lame, none of them ride)

2012 R6 #7

bigshug1

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 04:45:05 PM »

Don't overthink lines/gearing and all that just yet - you'll get all the coaching you could want and more! Just let one of the Control Riders who does your rider's meeting know you're brand new to all this and he'll give you (and other riders) a tow around the track for as long as you need...then he'll ask you to take the lead so he can see how well you've picked up what he's put down, so to speak.

South course is awesome and the fundraiser weekend is something I can hardly wait for each year. Welcome!

And what everyone else said. Bring more water than you think you can possibly drink....and that might be enough...lol. Stay fed and stay hydrated. The amount of riding we cram into a day can easily take its toll on you if you don't take care of yourself!

I have an R6, too - look for me. Bike #247, white Tundra, red PRE canopy with a squid flying from it...lol. See you there!
Shane Carwile
Intermediate Group
2015 Yamaha R6 - #247
2017 Yamaha R6 - (probably) my backup bike :)

lee7

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 08:06:34 PM »

So I made it through my first trackday; it was pretty exhausting but that Friday was probably the highlight of my year so far haha! I really had a blast and learned so much from everyone. Thank you Joel for being an awesome CR, having you show me the lines and the correct body position really accelerated my progress that day. Also thank you so much Kevin for all your help and the other OTP guys for giving me a canopy for the day and letting me hang out!!

I hope to be present for the whole weekend next time (north/full), hopefully time and finances will allow that to happen haha. I look forward to seeing you all again next time!
2012 R6 #7

RocketDan

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 08:16:34 PM »

It was great meeting you Lee. Look forward to seeing you out there again soon

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

52 Ruhe

• Is my name GOOGLE Mother fucker!!!!!!
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 05:17:42 AM »

Welcome to the addiction Lee. Thanks for coming out and checking us out.
I think the leap to multiple days back to back can present challenges financially sometimes but IMHO accelerates learning. Ride, work with CR. Work on things being taught. Sleep and process new info and you will find the next day the things that worked for you are more natural feeling. It will help you ingrain good habits.
Another key always go out with a plan. Even if it is as simple as hold throttle open a little longer into x corner.

Hope to see you back out there soon.
Mike Ruhe #52

Managing Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

Mobile: 404-435-8427

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

RocketDan

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 07:51:16 AM »

And Lee, don’t forget to go and check out your track pictures. Always fun to document your first track day. I think Josh got a shot of you in the rider meeting so look at the paddock photos too.

https://apexprophoto.smugmug.com/PRE/June15TO17VIRSOUTH

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 19 queries.