Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New to the track  (Read 795 times)

cold

New to the track
« on: April 02, 2018, 03:11:30 PM »

Hey PRE, looking to come for my first track day on 4/21 at NCBike, coming from Richmond.  Ride is a Street Triple (675), I hope naked riders are welcome (you know what I mean).  Spent the winter putting gear together, I'm really excited to get on the track.

Was thinking of riding onto the track, but all advice I've heard suggests trailering makes the day a lot easier, so I'm busy putting a trailer together.  Base is going to be a ironton 4x8 folding utility trailer, still working on chock and ramp, any suggestions?

My only tech concern is tires, am planning on using my street tires, DRCs.  How does tech determine 50% tread remaining?  Also, how much of a flat spot is too much?  My current rear is starting to develop one, not opposed to replacing it, just wondering what to consider for tech.

-Chris

Natrix

Re: New to the track
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 08:36:01 PM »

Welcome aboard, Chris! You've picked an awesome organization with which to ride!

I hope naked riders are welcome (you know what I mean). 

With the PRE family, you never know what they'll go for, lol.  :eek:

Regarding a chock, etc., the Pit Bull trailer restraint system is SO worth it. Check it out.

I'll leave it to a CR/staffer to answer your tires question.
Kerry

I'm not slow; I'm deliberate :D
N 333 - '06 GSX-R750

MonkeyMan

• Control Rider
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 11:01:53 AM »

Hi Chris - welcome to PRE and hope you'll have a blast!

Regarding the tire - common school of thought is if you have a question/concern about the tire it's probably best to just replace it. Assuming DRC means the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corso (which I used on my Triumph years ago - good tire!) they'll tend to provide less grip as you wear them (like any tire) and you probably want to have as much available grip as the tire will afford in general on the race track.

The cost of a tire is relatively minor compared to value of knowing you're prepared and ready to have the best day possible!

Looking forward to seeing you out there!!
"MonkeyMan" Mike
Sicilian Racing
15 Yamaha R1M
Wera #413
http://www.facebook.com/FlyingMonkeyMotorcycleRacing

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 05:10:26 AM »

Welcome to PRE Chris  :thumbup:

Feel free to post up a pic of your tires if you want and we'll give you an opinion. First, we aren't going to measure tread depth of anything like that. It's really easy to just look at a tire and know if it's worn to a point that we want it replaced. Obviously that makes it a judgement call on our part, but a general rule of thumb is that if you aren't sure it it'll pass, then it might be a good idea to replace it. A worn tire will have less grip than a new tire. The more grip you have (especially as someone just starting out) the more likely that you can get away with a mistake. Keep in mind that we all make mistakes, even the very best riders, and having good rubber underneath you could be the difference between crashing or not.

John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

cold

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 12:37:58 PM »

Thanks for the responses folks, looking forward to meeting you at NCbike.

Regarding a chock, etc., the Pit Bull trailer restraint system is SO worth it. Check it out.

Nice, better than messing with straps, just might go with that.

Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corso (which I used on my Triumph years ago - good tire!)

Those are the ones, how did you like them as a track tire?  I like them a lot for the street.

Feel free to post up a pic of your tires if you want and we'll give you an opinion. First, we aren't going to measure tread depth of anything like that. It's really easy to just look at a tire and know if it's worn to a point that we want it replaced. Obviously that makes it a judgement call on our part, but a general rule of thumb is that if you aren't sure it it'll pass, then it might be a good idea to replace it. A worn tire will have less grip than a new tire. The more grip you have (especially as someone just starting out) the more likely that you can get away with a mistake. Keep in mind that we all make mistakes, even the very best riders, and having good rubber underneath you could be the difference between crashing or not.

Cool, I'll post a pic as the date comes up, more than a few miles between now and then.

Thats a good point about having the extra grip to help cover mistakes, hadn't thought about it that way.

bigshug1

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 05:08:17 PM »

Welcome!

The good news, too, is that we have a trackside vendor - Max Speed Cycles - who typically stocks all sorts of Dunlop tires if you're okay with them. I'm still on Q3's and I don't do too badly on them  :D

Another vote, too, for the Pit Bull TRS. Don't give the overall cost of the setup a second thought. It's rock solid and doesn't compress your suspension like most folks do with ratchet straps (don't do that). I use the TRS and *lightly* strap the front end down with a canyon dancer in the event that my trailer ends up on it's side or upside down. You don't have to be as paranoid as me, though...I just can't help it...lol.

Shane Carwile
Intermediate Group
2015 Yamaha R6 - #247
2017 Yamaha R6 - (probably) my backup bike :)

jsnonzzr

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 05:15:45 PM »

Cold,

Welcome.  I get where your coming from about being worried if you have enough tire left.  this is different and what you think is enough someone else might not think is enough.  Just remember the most expensive tire you will ever replace will be the one you didn't change.  As far as your flat spot  I have gone from slabbing it around my city to the mountains and corrected my flatspot in a weekend.  it can be interesting but does not mean you will wreck instantly.

I just got a pitbull TRS.   I am loving them.  I am way more comfortable with this setup then straps.  that being said i have not exactly figured out how to make it a 1 person job yet.  I am getting there and will have it figured out soon.  if your not concerned with money and know you will be trailering a lot... go with it.

in the event that my trailer ends up on it's side or upside down.

What on earth is your driving like on public roads :confused:

cold

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 11:20:30 AM »

Thanks for the recommendations, pulled the trigger on the TRS.  Looking forward to the piece of mind. 

The good news, too, is that we have a trackside vendor - Max Speed Cycles - who typically stocks all sorts of Dunlop tires if you're okay with them. I'm still on Q3's and I don't do too badly on them  :D

I've heard good things about Q3s, wouldn't mind giving them a try.  Is there much of a premium on buying tires track side?

MillerAMG

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 12:48:25 PM »

Give Jim a call at MaxSpeed Cycles and ask for the prices during the event. (MaxSpeed has their own section in this forum and you can find the number in there). He can bring whatever sizes you need and hold them for you. I always call in advance so that I know my size will be there when I show up. The one time I didn't call in advance, I was lucky enough to grab the last 190 Q3 rear.

Welcome! See you out there!
Robert Miller

'13 Yamaha R1
Concord, NC

NicNac337

• Control Rider
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 06:40:22 AM »

Welcome Chris! PRE is simply THE BEST place to be. In the past, I've ridden with several other organizations ... PRE stands above them all.

Please be sure to let us know who you are, and join the meet and greet (you'll see an email about it) on Saturday evening. Oh and, be prepared to be addicted to the track! Several of us never ride on the street any longer after finding track life  :D

See you soon!
Nicole #337
2011 YZF-R6
Charlotte, NC

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 31 queries.