Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: front brake problem  (Read 415 times)

sportracer07

front brake problem
« on: February 08, 2018, 07:17:06 AM »

Hey guys i need some opinions on a brake problem i may have.   I just installed sone new ebc pads on the front of my 02 zx6r. I didnt pay alot of attention before. But after i installed the new pads im only getting half to one full turn from my front wheel when i try to spin it.     I removed the calipers and took them apart and removed and cleaned the oistons when i installed the pads do i know there clean.  Could this be just because of the new pads since i havnt ridden it any since then.   Or do i need new caliper seals???

52 Ruhe

• Is my name GOOGLE Mother fucker!!!!!!
  • Administrator
Re: front brake problem
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 11:39:58 AM »

Start small bleed the system if still an issue. Check run out see if a rotor is warped.
Scotch Brite your rotors to get the old media out of them from old pads. After that we can diagnose each component if you are still having issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike Ruhe #52

Managing Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

Mobile: 404-435-8427

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

sportracer07

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 05:52:06 PM »

Ok Ruhe , went through and disassembled the calipers, bleed the system a few times. Cleaned the rotors and checked them for runout. All seemed well,  i sanded the rotors also, now i can get about 2.5 to 4 turns out of the front wheel,   is that about right??

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 05:26:20 AM »

How does the lever feel. So wheel turns 4 times then pressure builds to the point where the pads contact and stop the wheel? Did you just clean and replace seals or put new ones in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Mike Ruhe #52

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

sportracer07

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 07:41:37 PM »

lever feels good, applys brake about 1/4 way through and stops about an inch from the grip.    i just cleaned the seals and reinstalled,i didnt replace them.  I can hear the pads lightly touching the rotor as i spin the wheel. Basically starts out fast and slows down quickly stopping at about 3 revolutions.

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 09:48:56 PM »

Check you bearings. Only other thing I could think of would be seals. The design of the seal (roll back) helps pull the pots back and subsequently the pads but if it's just a very light scraping and wheel comes to a stop in 4 rotations I would see if one or both bearings are a little sticky.

Mike Ruhe #52

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

Kyle M

• Not sexy need not apply
  • Control Rider
  • Turn yo' head until you start to Break yo' neck
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 12:29:54 PM »

First thing I would do would be to narrow down your problem, is it wheel or caliper?

So if you get only a couple turns of the wheel in the air, take the calipers off and spin the wheel. If it spins lots, then its the brakes dragging. If it only turns a couple of times, then start looking at the axle area.
Kyle Mathews
09 RM R1 #33

Steve Gould

• Control Rider
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 09:26:20 AM »

Most of the time it's fork alignment. With the wheel off insert the axle through the forks to make certain it slides in and out with no resistance or deflection.

bigshug1

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 10:27:23 AM »

Saw this video the other day - I've never set my caliper's alignment after a brake change,etc. - I just assumed that the mounting point was exactly the proper point without having to go through any additional steps...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivt7EPe0jeY
Shane Carwile
Intermediate Group
2015 Yamaha R6 - #247
2017 Yamaha R6 - (probably) my backup bike :)

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 08:49:39 PM »

I don't mean to offer additional advice especially after the illustrious Mr Moss but when you change pads. Press pads all the way pack in calipers. Pads as wide as possible. Mount and torque calipers. Pump up brakes same thing. The Roll back on the seals pulls pads back from stop a certain amount based on where they stop not Middle of travel. His way absolutely assures it but you are going to notice no difference in properly maintained calipers and braking system the way I am offering and it is less cumbersome and faster. Who has all day to dick around with their bike let's ride. Also Gould is correct prior to all the other junk make sure your forks are aligned and not binding. Then bearings cause the wheel is out eh.

Mike Ruhe #52

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

sportracer07

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 08:41:12 PM »

Thanks guys i removed the calipers and tried spinning the wheel that way.  I can get a good 10 to 12 revolutions out of it without the calipers,so i am assuming the brakes are dragging..   I have cleaned and recleaned the calipers. Should i assume i need new caliper seals??

spiderman636

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 08:57:50 PM »

Try another rim if you have one. see if problem persists. That'll help isolate the problem area.

OTP Racing
#23 - SV650

Steve Gould

• Control Rider
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 03:50:57 PM »

If your wheel is cocked because of a misaligned axle, it will bind on your brake pads.

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 06:09:34 AM »

I would first always assume it is something free. I would check fork alignment anyway because it is cheaper than seals. Again the seals could be worn to the point the roll back is no longer as good and leaves the pads dragging.
If bearings roll smooth no binding or sticky spot and the rotors are not warped or bent. Forks are aligned.Then I would look at replacing seals.
Without calipers mounted you should be able to give it a good spin go get a cup of coffee and that thing should still be moving. Unless you go get a cup of coffee at Starbucks and not just from your kitchen

Mike Ruhe #52

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 19 queries.