Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Traction control  (Read 464 times)

sportracer07

Traction control
« on: April 17, 2017, 08:09:50 PM »

Hey guys i have a dumb question, but ill ask anyway.  I have never ridden a bike with t/c at any real pace.  Just wondering how it works  can u basically have the bike leaned at full tilt and just pin it or what? Im sure u can still crash obviously but does it help prevent highsides?   Someone elaborate for me lol. Im always afraid  of highsiding my 600, just wondering how much it really helpsl

the HAHA

• Control Rider
Re: Traction control
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 08:18:02 AM »

I raced a Ducati 1198S in 2009 and it had a street version of TC and I kept it off because I couldn't adjust it on the fly and it also ruined my starts (it read front wheel spin to rear wheel spin, so on the starts the front would start to float, then tc would kick in, the front would immediately pop up again, tc would kick in- it was pretty much like riding a bucking bull ) I did try to give it full throttle while leaned and the dash would light up (tc kicking in) and all was ok. I'm kinda old school in this fashion that I believe TC is all in the right hand (it took a while to fine tune it but it tends to be quite dependable). I'm not sure how modern day (2010-current) bikes function with TC, but I was not a fan of it. I feel like this might cultivate bad riding habits (when do you really need to be full throttle while leaned over?), and usually encourage riders to stay away from it (but once again maybe TC has gotten more manageable and can be used a practical tool for riding efficiently). but that is my  :2cents:
Matt Heidel
AMA/WERA#35

RocketDan

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 08:47:03 AM »

There is another thread somewhere in here about TC if I'm not mistaken. So you might find some additional info if you search around a bit. But regardless, here is an article I found helpful that talks about using traction control.

http://www.sportrider.com/riding-with-traction-control-riding-skills-series

Steve Gould

• Control Rider
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 09:58:48 PM »

The stock street version of TC on my zx10 sucked! Even turned to the lowest setting it would not allow me to get on the gas coming out of a corner. Can you pin it while leaned in a corner? No, it isn't high side control. I understand motogp electronics or even superbike electronics might allow that but the stock electronics available today will not allow you to wack open the throttle at full lean without disaterous results. I have found that TC will allow you to get on the gas and give subtle warnings. If you get too hamfisted, all bets are off.

sportracer07

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 03:58:09 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys, A friend and i keep going back and forth on whether or not t/c will help u be faster on the track. and since i have an older bike i have been wondering myself if a bike with t/c will help me lose my fear of coming out of a corner hard.  If my rear tire slids coming out of a corner i assume im using to much throttle and lose my confidence

Echs332000

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 07:48:25 PM »

my traction control has saved my ass on the streets a lot.  I dont have a lot of track experience so i dont know if it helped me or hurt me on my zx10

jbasim51

• Control Rider
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 08:07:57 PM »

I turn mine off as well. Like the others have said, the versions that manufacturers have on their showroom bikes are mostly geared toward running over that man hole cover or slick paint line on the streets and cause more of a nuisance at the track. If I could adjust it to my needs in certain situations or certain gps points, it would work great but unfortunately I only have a 1-8 setting that I select before I enter the track. Ducati doesn't allow you to adjust it after 5mph so OFF it stays.
Joe "Dirt" Basim
CCS #51
K7 GSXR 1000 - Taking the paint off of new R1's since 2007
2012 Ducati 848 Corse - Pretty picture opportunities
2015 Honda Grom - Best Way To Annoy Harleys

Firebolt

• Joel
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 12:20:42 AM »

What's your experience riding in the rain?  I ask because back in '15, I had my first legit rain track day and I rode all day long on Pirelli Diablo Rosso street tires that were nearly four years old.  Wasn't a fast day in the corners, but the front and back were all over the place.  Granted this was on a 2002 Honda 600F4i with no traction control to speak of except the throttle.  The following track day was at CMP and rained during the rider's meeting and I rolled out with Basim the first session on a wet track feeling like a pro. 

The rain really helped with body position as well as feeling what sliding and instability felt like.    Back to TC...   Developing the skills (like in the rain) to be smooth is the key.   That said, I leave mine on but in the lowest setting possible that still prevents rear wheel sliding.  So far, I've never been conscious of its operation but I have noticed the little yellow light on occasion.   I think as long as it's not interfering with your riding okay---but don't rely on it or base your riding on it because it's there.  I'm a firearms instructor and regardless of all the advanced stuff...  it always comes back to the fundamentals and if they're not learned, then there's a gap in the foundation.   Same with bikes.

PS---   Riding in the rain is fun AF and like JRA says...  If you don't come to a track day because there's an XXX % chance of rain, there's a 100% chance you won't ride.  :D
Joel #666 :a:

13 Ducati 1199 Panigale S (A)
02 Honda 600F4i (B/Rain)
15 Honda Grom - Patriot Insanity w/ Cupholder <3
13 Ducati 848evo - Street
99 Ducati 996 - What is the Matrix?

jbasim51

• Control Rider
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 03:30:55 PM »

Well said, Joel. Great advice fo sho

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk because Spinak likes seeing this Signature

Joe "Dirt" Basim
CCS #51
K7 GSXR 1000 - Taking the paint off of new R1's since 2007
2012 Ducati 848 Corse - Pretty picture opportunities
2015 Honda Grom - Best Way To Annoy Harleys

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 19 queries.