Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Benefits of Airfence  (Read 13591 times)

JRA

• Administrator
Re: Benefits of Airfence
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2016, 06:02:52 AM »

It seems the word gets out fast. I'm not even sure how you would have known Dan, they just delivered it on Wednesday, and I didn't even find out until Wednesday evening.  :D

Airfence Fundraising Efforts to Date

For 2017 we constructed another storage trailer, which allows us to store 36 of the 43 sections of Airfence in mobile containers, and we also donated $15,507.50 to the RWAF which resulted in 10 more sections of Airfence being added at VIR. 

Since PRE was founded in 2014 we have raised right at $80,000, constructed 2 mobile containers, and added 34 sections of Airfence at VIR. If you go back to the previous organization and add the total from those fundraisers that is another $60,000 and 30 sections of Airfence to Road Atlanta, and 9 to VIR. That equals 73 sections of Airfence deployed to two different tracks since 2012. I'd say that is a pretty good job!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 06:05:06 AM by JRA »
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

the HAHA

• Control Rider
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2016, 05:54:32 AM »

:agree: :clap: :clap:
Matt Heidel
AMA/WERA#35
Honda Wave 125cc (Thailand Series)

Spinak 627

• Control Rider
  • 2011 GSX-R 750
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2016, 06:04:30 AM »

Proud to be a part of PRE  :thumbup:
Matt Spinak
CCS Expert #627

RADAR Magnet

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2016, 09:28:32 PM »

That's awesome John.  You guys are leading the way to making the sport safer for everyone. 

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2017, 05:04:01 AM »

Dean Bosch made a post in the insurance thread that I'm going to copy to this thread because it fits right in with this topic. It's an awesome testimonial about why Airfence is important, and it's a great lead-in to something I'd like to say.

When I hit the Armco barrier at BeaveRun now called PIR, I was knocked out cold. I vividly remember declining the helo ride when EMT gave me the option. I don't remember too much from the day but I remember thinking " I want to remember my first helicopter ride." I'm not sure if it was the human variable involved but the concussion and compound fractures to my leg didn't merit a certain lift. Looking back on the day I shouldn't have been allowed to make any decisions!

An external fixation in the hand, 5 screws in the femur, a rod from my knee to ankle, 2 blood transfusions later I was good to go and racing 6 months later.

Airfences over Armco barriers!

Even though we've made airfence readily available and easy to use there are still organizations who aren't using it. We've decided that while raising money and buying airfence is important, we're only addressing half of the safety issue. Educating riders to view airfence as a necessary safety precaution at any track day or race they attend is the other half.

Would you go to a track day if the ambulance was 20 minutes away in town? Hey, they have a siren and can run through red lights. They'll get there pretty quick if needed, right? You'd be pretty skeptical about riding without an ambulance, so why wouldn't you be skeptical about riding without airfence when you KNOW it's available. And if you don't know if it's available we want riders to start asking if it's being used, and if not why. Once you're laying at the base of a wall with your bones sticking out it's too late to say woulda, shoulda, coulda. If airfence had been protecting the wall Dean hit he might have walked away from that crash.

That is why this year we are stepping up and doing more than just fundraising. We're adding the education piece to the effort and bringing the message of why airfence is so important to a bigger audience. Stay tuned.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 02:56:10 PM by JRA »
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2017, 09:08:13 AM »

Many of you have probably heard me say before that someday all of this hard work we have been putting in with the airfence is going to make all the difference in the world for a rider and his or her family.

Yesterday was that day.

We had a very serious crash yesterday, and if it weren't for the efforts of everyone, and I mean every single person who contributed just one dollar, the outcome would have been much different. As it was the crash resulted in only minor injuries to the rider.

Every person who has helped us with this mission along the way should feel very proud that today a fellow rider is back with his family instead of in the hospital, or worse. Together we ARE making a difference.

The force of the impact ripped the buckles out. These two pieces where the hole is used to be joined together.

These tire bundles bounced out from the wall a couple of feet from the force of the impact.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:18:51 AM by JRA »
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2017, 09:10:14 AM »

Fixing things back so the day could resume instead of what we would have been doing had this airfence not been there.

John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2017, 09:11:36 AM »

Feel free to share this with others so that we can continue to get the message out about the importance of arifence.

Airfence Saves Lives!
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days

RocketDan

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2017, 09:16:36 AM »

As I was leaving yesterday I saw them bringing in the damaged air fence and couldn't imagine what would have happened if it wasn't there.

I am so glad PRE and everyone who donates time and money to help have this safety device for the riders.

Natrix

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2017, 09:34:08 AM »

:clap:
 :tiphat:

Kind of beyond words.
Kerry

I'm not slow; I'm deliberate :D
N 333 - '06 GSX-R750

bmrboy

• Ride like the Wind !!
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2017, 09:40:07 AM »

Absolutely worth every penny  :agree:. I saw the air fence :wow: it did it's job
Rider walked away :thumbup: :clap: :tiphat:
M.GRADY ...
2011 GSXR-750 [A]
Become Water ..

andrew230

• Control Rider
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2017, 09:54:26 AM »

:agree: :agree:   We never want them to be actually needed but I am so thankful that they were there for this rider to walk away from a crash like that, it speaks volumes. I don't want to even think about how it could have been if the air fence was not in place. If this doesn't show people the need for the air fence nothing will. It is definitely worth the extra time before and after a track day to put them out there.    :tiphat: to everyone that takes the time to help with deploying the air fence.
Andrew Gold ccs#230

2011 gsxr-750

dbosch11

• Newbie For Life!
  • Control Rider
  • GWC
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2017, 09:55:49 AM »

https://youtu.be/zAUH6c7PVVk

The link above is our video for AirFence promotion. Help spread the word!
We all saved a life yesterday.

Thank you so much to everyone who has helped and contributed to the AirFence  :tiphat:
d11b
10 r6

MonkeyMan

• Control Rider
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2017, 10:39:31 AM »

Thx for posting that video link Dean - just shared it out on the Stalkbook.

I was really glad to see the rider up and moving as I came through 6. That must have been some impact! Weird as it sounds, as I was thinking about it coming in on the red flag I felt good that I helped add some of the sections that were moved over from Oak Tree to T6.

I hope everyone that's ridden with PRE and perhaps as, or more importantly, those who haven't see this and realize the difference Airfence makes!

Thanks to everyone who's been involved!!
"MonkeyMan" Mike
Sicilian Racing
15 Yamaha R1M
Wera #413
http://www.facebook.com/FlyingMonkeyMotorcycleRacing

52 Ruhe

• Is my name GOOGLE Mother fucker!!!!!!
  • Administrator
Benefits of Airfence
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2017, 01:42:35 PM »

Sunday got pretty emotional. Once we realized Mike was basically Ok ( he likely has a few cracked ribs possible shoulder injury) I had this rush of emotions mostly very happy for his outcome and some sad thinking about those that would have benefited from fence back in the day. Same area many years ago a good friend of ours Brian Johnson impacted the wall in 6 a little earlier than Mike did but it was a serious impact with the tire wall and Brian actually bounced back into the track. I will never forget coming through probably 16th in. The string of riders and seeing Brian laying there motionless.
I am pretty sure we all put our fastest split in for the day to get in under red as we all knew it was bad.
They had to establish and airway trackside and just seeing how concerned EMTs were. Then hearing the helicopter coming in you couldn't help but cry.
Brian spent 28 days at Duke in a coma. Then spent roughly 60 days at Sheppard Spinal in Atlanta.
First time I went to see him while he recalled me he was like a child due to his head injury.
I am not trying to bum folks out. Brian would spend the next few years getting back to his body back in shape learning to speak normally and walk.  With the exception of a shoulder that just doesn't work like OEM and losing at least 2-3 years of his life to all the things he had to relearn I am happy to say he is back to his normal gruff self. Running his business and doing actuarial work. He is lucky to say the least.
Why am I telling this story? Well considering he hit the tire wall and years later is living his life as a normal productive person I consider him the luckiest man I know.
We thought we had lost him. Mike on Sunday moments after similar contact but with AirFence in front of that same tire wall was up and walking around only moments later. The stuff did its job.
I have had to be around for far worse situations than either of these and John has been the front line more than once when things went as bad as they can get.
AirFence Saves Lives
PRE is committed to the cause and will continue to raise awareness and provide more AF.
One last thought. Mike came to the track with the Grand Master of SV650s Russell Masecar. Russell stayed and helped us collect the fence which we greatly appreciated just like we do with all who help. While riding back to the paddock Russell looks at me and says something to the effect of "we just did that with 2 trucks and 8 guys. That took 35 mins"

It takes a little longer to deploy but let's say all in we are looking at 1.5 hours to deploy and collect.
That's a pretty small amount of time to invest to save a life. Be proud of yourselves as I know I am proud and honored to ride with everyone that has ever helped deploy collect or even tossed a dollar into the AF jar at a meet and greet. We all likely saved a life Sunday.

Sent from your iPhone using Tapatalk. Yes I am in the house!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 01:48:09 PM by Ruhe52 »
Mike Ruhe #52

Managing Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

Mobile: 404-435-8427

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 35 queries.