Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What's in your radiator?  (Read 139 times)

bmart

What's in your radiator?
« on: July 25, 2017, 08:39:28 AM »

I've been running water and a few cap fulls of Water Wetter for years but the last year or two are showing some pretty high temps (up to 213 running and 223 when I finally get to my canopy).

What do you guys run in your cooling systems?

What kind of temps do you normally see when rolling and when pitted?
Brad in Charlotte, NC
'03 & '04 R6 track bikes, CB-1 and VFR800 street bikes
2006 R1 track bike for sale.

Taylor 22

• Control Rider
  • The "joke" is on me!!!!
Re: What's in your radiator?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 09:48:57 AM »

I'm pretty close to that..... I use just distilled water 99% of the time...
My temps are between 186 and 196 on track depending on the weather.....

I flush the system maybe twice a year..... I have noticed higher temps before???
I saw there was a lot of build up inside the radiator... (I guess from using straight water) it was blocking the circulation of water....
I should probably flush it more often during the season...... but since I don't.... I'll take the radiator to the radiator shop in town and they stick it in the tub for a while and it looks brand new when I get it back.... and works great with normal temps...  I think they charged me $10 ???

I do see 214 plus in the pits..... fans kick on.... bring the temp down... fans shut off.... I turn the bike off for about 2 minutes..... then turn the bike on to cycle cooler water.... temp drops fast.... then shut off until the next time I ride......   :2cents:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:53:20 AM by Taylor 22 »
Taylor Wells
PRE CSR
(855)RIDE-PRE

'15 r6 #22
'03 yz250f #22
'01 xr100 #22

Ruhe52

• Administrator
  • We are all out of F$#%ING MILK
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 10:19:49 AM »

Distilled Water at Road Atlanta two weeks ago. 180 on track was highest temp.
Off track let it idle after A waiting for I to go out and it saw 215 then shit it off. I have no fans. Flush system a few times a year about every 5th oil change. Have not seen any gunk come out when I flush. End of season flush then fill and add white vinegar let it heat cycle a few times then flush. If storing I leave it dry. If heading to Jennings during winter just toss distilled water. I have used Water Wetter don't think it does anything really to help cool the bike really. Have used Yamaha's non glycol cooler like engine ice and noticed it helped drop a few deg.
Was rapping out with some guys tied to Yamaha that were laughing about how many people freak about temps. If you commute you are gonna see temps like 230 240 in stop and go.
Hell original setting for new R1 was fans didn't even bother to kick on until 238.

Sent from your iPhone using Tapatalk. Yes I am in the house!!!!!
Mike Ruhe
Co-Founder
Performance Riding Experience
because it's all about the EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!

bmart

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 09:04:09 AM »

It sounds like mine is pretty normal. I usually flush fill once a year off season and mine too always comes out clean.
Brad in Charlotte, NC
'03 & '04 R6 track bikes, CB-1 and VFR800 street bikes
2006 R1 track bike for sale.

Firebolt

• Joel
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 11:18:27 AM »

I've been having corrosion concerns until reading Ruhe's post here.  I've been refilling system with standard glycol antifreeze over the winter out of concern that the distilled+water wetter would somehow do less for the engine in that area.  But likewise, never seen anything but clean coolant/water come out of the bike.

Having no fan freaked me out.  Couldn't get back to the pits before I hit 220 and fan! light came on. Got it squeezed back in though with the new body work.  190s-210 on track with water&WW.
Joel #666 :a:

13 Ducati 1199 Panigale S (A)
02 Honda 600F4i (B/Rain)
15 Honda Grom - Patriot Insanity w/ Cupholder <3
13 Ducati 848evo - Street
99 Ducati 996 - What is the Matrix?

cartmen34

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 02:39:26 PM »

I always thought that one of the advantages of waterwetter is that it contains chemicals that help lubricate the water pump and the seals around the pump?  Or is that just another un-informed rider internet rumor?

I run pre-mixed waterwetter in both my track bikes straight out of the jug.  I was a little concerned about some of the gunk that was building up in my R6 catch-can and the water drain bolt, so over the winter I had Jim take a look at it.  He said everything looked perfectly normal, so I guess what I'm doing isn't all bad.

Edit: I just looked at my R1's telemetry from the July full course day. The air temp in the afternoon was around 86. My bike ran between 174-178 during the lap, but from the time I hit the pit entrance until I shut the bike off in the pits the temps jumped to 196.  Not extremely hot, but the day wasn't really that hot either.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 03:03:57 PM by cartmen34 »

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 17 queries.