Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: tire size question  (Read 131 times)

Echs332000

tire size question
« on: November 29, 2017, 06:00:31 AM »

Good morning,

Ive googled this and have gotten 700 different answers.  Figured i would ask some people that i trust

190 vs 200 slicks.   

Whats the pros and cons of each size?

RocketDan

Re: tire size question
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 06:34:29 AM »

From my experience Yhe size of a tire varies by manufacturer. Especially when talking about race tires. So a 190 Michelin and 190 Dunlop aren’t necessarily the same. The best bet is to go with what your tire rep recommends for your bike.

But if you are looking at a 190 vs 200 in a specific brand, typically the 200 gives better traction under acceleration and the 190 gives a more nimble handling characteristic. Keep in mind this is probably going to be a pretty subtle difference.

That’s my understanding at least.

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

Shoaf

• Control Rider
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 06:51:34 AM »

The difference is 10mm In width. If your talking dunlop, both are designed for a 5.5 inch wide rim so either will work on a 600/750. If your on a liter bike go with the 200.

Echs332000

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 07:12:48 AM »

From my experience Yhe size of a tire varies by manufacturer. Especially when talking about race tires. So a 190 Michelin and 190 Dunlop aren’t necessarily the same. The best bet is to go with what your tire rep recommends for your bike.

But if you are looking at a 190 vs 200 in a specific brand, typically the 200 gives better traction under acceleration and the 190 gives a more nimble handling characteristic. Keep in mind this is probably going to be a pretty subtle difference.

That’s my understanding at least.

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

what do you run on the r1?

Echs332000

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 07:13:43 AM »

The difference is 10mm In width. If your talking dunlop, both are designed for a 5.5 inch wide rim so either will work on a 600/750. If your on a liter bike go with the 200.

probally dunlop to be honest.

RocketDan

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 07:15:35 AM »

what do you run on the r1?

I run Dunlop. Mostly I run the 200/55 slick. But I have also run the 190/60 GPA pro which works. I prefer the 200 and it’s the Dunlop that is best suited for the 6” rear rim.

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 03:26:04 PM »

Here's a whole thread dedicated to this very question. As I always say if you want good answers you can trust you only need to ask here.

http://www.preforum.net/index.php?topic=1448.0
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 03:42:19 PM »

Just to emphasize one point from the linked thread so it doesn't get overlooked. The the actual difference in height, or width, or both of two differently sized tires might not really be very much at all, so don't get too caught up in how you think a certain tire might affect geometry and turning.

If you're concerned about the geometry it's very easy to measure ride height. Measure from the ground to the center of your rear axle with the tire you have now. Switch to the different size tire and do the same. The difference (if any) is how your ride height has changed. If you think it's a lot then adjust your shock length to compensate. What I said in the other thread still holds true. I can use any of the tires I mentioned without any problem. I prefer the 200/55 but I might give the new 180/55 a try to see what it's like.
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

52 Ruhe

• Sorry but we are out of milk. In fact that burger yeah thats the cow.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 05:44:22 PM »

Definitely want to try the 180 on the R6 next year. Good article.
Mike Ruhe #52

Managing Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

Mobile: 404-435-8427

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 18 queries.