Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: upgrading a trailer  (Read 1691 times)

NicNac337

• Control Rider
Re: upgrading a trailer
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 07:59:36 AM »

Nicole #337
2011 YZF-R6
Charlotte, NC

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 08:30:57 AM »

I frequently use a 50' cord that I've wired a breaker box. I think the box has six circuits. I have a male 50 amp RV plug on the cord that I plug into the 50 amp rv circuit at the power pole, and the other end goes to a double pole breaker in the circuit box. That serves as my main breaker for the box. One of the other circuits in the box is a 30 amp single pole breaker that has a short cord with a female 30 amp RV plug on the end of it. That's what I plug my trailer into. I then have two other 20 amp circuits that each have a ten foot extension cord with a single gang receptacle box with weather proof covers. This gives me four outlets outside of the trailer on two different circuits. Why? Well the 30 amp trailer circuit is fed off one of the hot sides of the double pole breaker in the box, and the other two 20 amp circuits are fed off the other side. This divides the load so that I can run AC, microwave, tire machine, or air compressor in the trailer without having to worry about having two or three sets of tire warmers plugged up outside. This a great way to take advantage of the 50 amp power available if you have a lot of stuff to run.
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

jsnonzzr

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 07:33:36 PM »

I frequently use a 50' cord that I've wired a breaker box. I think the box has six circuits. I have a male 50 amp RV plug on the cord that I plug into the 50 amp rv circuit at the power pole, and the other end goes to a double pole breaker in the circuit box. That serves as my main breaker for the box. One of the other circuits in the box is a 30 amp single pole breaker that has a short cord with a female 30 amp RV plug on the end of it. That's what I plug my trailer into. I then have two other 20 amp circuits that each have a ten foot extension cord with a single gang receptacle box with weather proof covers. This gives me four outlets outside of the trailer on two different circuits. Why? Well the 30 amp trailer circuit is fed off one of the hot sides of the double pole breaker in the box, and the other two 20 amp circuits are fed off the other side. This divides the load so that I can run AC, microwave, tire machine, or air compressor in the trailer without having to worry about having two or three sets of tire warmers plugged up outside. This a great way to take advantage of the 50 amp power available if you have a lot of stuff to run.

as much as I am lost, I also understand this.  Some of me being lost is I just need to see it to confirm.  that being said, I am not even close to your setup needs.  I will probably not be running more then 2 warmers... and thats if I have a friend with me.  AC  lights  a fan outside maybe (likely wont be running the AC if I am running a fan)  and a phone charger or two.  I am still undecided if I am going to run a small fridge or just do a cooler for another year (leaning towards a cooler).

jsnonzzr

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 07:34:28 PM »

So I was about to buy my 10/3 wire and saw there is a "rubber coated outdoor" vs an "indoor".  The one I am looking at right now (cheapest) is

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BPBVZ2/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

my guess is I dont really want this to be outside wire.  I would want the better rubber coated one as this one will be kicked, rolled tripped over ran over etc etc etc.  Anyone want to confirm this?

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 05:01:44 AM »

So I was about to buy my 10/3 wire and saw there is a "rubber coated outdoor" vs an "indoor".  The one I am looking at right now (cheapest) is

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BPBVZ2/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

my guess is I dont really want this to be outside wire.  I would want the better rubber coated one as this one will be kicked, rolled tripped over ran over etc etc etc.  Anyone want to confirm this?

Is this for wiring the inside of the trailer or for the power cord to the trailer?
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days

jsnonzzr

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2018, 03:49:23 AM »

Is this for wiring the inside of the trailer or for the power cord to the trailer?

power pole to trailer.  That being said I have come up with an answer.    Im going to get the rubberized one.  I will get a few feet of the other stuff to do the inside (back of socket to box)

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2018, 04:42:58 AM »

Just order a cord from Amazon, or pick one up from your local RV store. Like this

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Extension-PowerGrip-10-Gauge-Convenient/dp/B004809YBE

The wire in the link you posted earlier is for residential wiring. It's sheathed solid copper wire. What you want is power cord which is stranded wire so it's flexible. If you want to build your own you can purchase power cord by the foot at Lowe's, but it'll almost certainly be cheaper to buy a cord like in the link I posted.
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days

bigshug1

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 05:31:16 AM »

Probably going to buy one of those, too!

I've been *almost* a few inches short at a couple of places we've gone if I wasn't there early enough...

Story of my life  :D
Shane Carwile
Intermediate Group
2015 Yamaha R6 - #247
2017 Yamaha R6 - (probably) my backup bike :)

52 Ruhe

• Is my name GOOGLE Mother fucker!!!!!!
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 05:37:01 AM »

Keep in mind the longer you run the better your cable. I bought a 50amp cord for the 25 feet from the pole to my 25 foot 30 amp and that's still going to drop off a lot. Paging Joe Basim. Joe Basim to the service desk please

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Mike Ruhe #52

Managing Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

Mobile: 404-435-8427

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

jbasim51

• Control Rider
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 08:53:21 AM »

http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html

Typical cheap drop cord is 16AWG BTW. Put in 100 feet for the distance. Not many circumstances where you would need more. Play with wire sizes to see the drops. I personally opt for heavier wire gage.

I use this calculator for work as well. Industrial wiring has codes in place for voltage drop across lengthy runs, but +/- 10 percent usually doesn't present much of a problem.
Joe "Dirt" Basim
Director
CCS #51
K7 GSXR 1000 - Taking the paint off of new R1's since 2007
2012 Ducati 848 Corse (Getting a Heart Transplant)
2015 Honda Grom
2018 GSXR-1000R

52 Ruhe

• Is my name GOOGLE Mother fucker!!!!!!
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 09:54:47 AM »

And there ya have it kids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike Ruhe #52

Managing Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

Mobile: 404-435-8427

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

jsnonzzr

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 09:29:37 PM »

If you want to build your own you can purchase power cord by the foot at Lowe's, but it'll almost certainly be cheaper to buy a cord like in the link I posted.

This is the conclusion I came to last night.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 32 queries.