Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New track rider, have some questions!  (Read 1202 times)

SVblues

New track rider, have some questions!
« on: December 23, 2017, 08:11:57 AM »

Hey guys, my name is Jake. Im out of Greensboro/Kernersville, and I plan on coming out in the spring next year for some track days!  I started riding in the early spring this year on an old ninja 250 that my friend sold to me for a dollar per CC.  Ive been working on cars for a long time, but motorcycles have been a new learning experience for me this year. (especially since he left fuel in the ninja for 2 or 3 years. good thing it was at least garaged.  :doh:) )  Most recently i picked up a  really clean 2000 sv650 with under 10k on it.  needless to say Im loving the torque!   :rofl:

I plan on coming out to NCBIKE and VIR in the spring/summer and Im curious if the trackside supplier of riding gear gives any discounts to first time riders?  Im sure Ill be addicted forever after my first time on track, but paying full price for a full gear rental is painful considering the price of used gear.

Any other advice for the first track day? I get a good deal on rentals, so i was considering a full size Transit to transport the bikes and all the gear to be comfortable, and or in the event of a crash.

Thanks, and looking forward to getting out there!

JRA

• Administrator
Re: New track rider, have some questions!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 09:20:54 AM »

Welcome Jake! $1 per cc is a pretty good deal on a Ninja 250. I bet you can get more out of it than that if you decide to sell it.

The SV650 is a great bike to learn this new hobby on. In fact it might very well be the best bike ever made for learning how to go fast on a race track.

I'm sure Tommy or Susan from Trackside gear will chime in an what they can do for you, or you can contact them at http://mytracksidegear.com/

I do know that their rental gear is good stuff and they will deduct the rental price if you decide to purchase it. After you do your first trackday you'll be deciding to do more in the future almost guaranteed. With that in mind you have a few months to go ahead and find some used gear ti purchase. It's the perfect time of year to be buying. You might even be able to find it all for a dollar a cc, lol. At any rate, welcome to PRE. You have definitely picked the right place to begin this journey.
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

52 Ruhe

• Is my name GOOGLE Mother fucker!!!!!!
  • Administrator
New track rider, have some questions!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 04:33:24 PM »

Welcome to the forum. Look forward to getting out on the track with you.
That is one hell of a clean SV you take great care of your ride which is really a good idea when you are learning to push it out there.
Agree with JRA SV or Ninja 250 are outstanding bikes to build a great track foundation on.

Is it April yet I am ready to get after it!

Mike Ruhe 52
Managing Partner - Founder
www.ridepre.com
Canton, GA
Mobile: 404-435-8427

Mike Ruhe #52

Managing Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

Mobile: 404-435-8427

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

TrackSide Gear

• PRE Vendor
  • "We support the sport"
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 10:52:23 PM »

Hi Jake,
This is Susan from TrackSide Gear and we are here to help you get on the track!
Since you rode earlier this year, I'm wondering if you have some gear, but maybe not everything you need.
Our gear (leathers, boots, gloves, back and chest protectors) can be rented individually for the day and if you decide to purchase the item at the end of the day, we will credit 100% of the rental fee towards the purchase price.

Please feel free to call me directly for specific pricing or for more information.
We look forward to talking with you.

Thank you.

Susan Tapscott
434-960-7802

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 10:54:15 PM by TrackSide Gear »
Tommy & Susan

NicNac337

• Control Rider
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 05:50:31 AM »

Hi Jake! PRE is without doubt THE BEST place to be!! I’ve ridden with several other groups and PRE is above the rest in several ways. The best coaches and safe riding members just to name two ways. PRE is truly my second family. Please introduce yourself at the track. Attending the meet and greets (which is a cookout) is a great way to meet everyone and ask questions. Several of us members have “PRE” canopies, please don’t hesitate to ask us for help.

PRE has a large coaching staff, introduce yourself and someone should be able to team up with you first time out.

Be prepared to be addicted!!

Nicole
Nicole #337
2011 YZF-R6
Charlotte, NC

SVblues

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 07:19:50 AM »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Looking forward to meeting some of you out there.  Ill definitely try to make a meet and greet.  How are the novice groups run? is there a control rider? Is passing allowed?  Ive been following track day junkies on facebook for a while and some of the crash videos posted are slightly concerning to a noob lol.  Id love to follow someone who knows the right line and can show me the ropes.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 07:24:28 AM by SVblues »

Natrix

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 04:01:25 PM »

Welcome, Jake.
I’ve ridden as a novice with three organizations, and PRE is hands-down the best I have seen and the best I can imagine. The number of control riders is high, and they are outstanding at guiding new riders, showing them good lines, controlling traffic, and making track riding exhilarating and safe at the same time. This is a top notch, well-run organization.
In the novice group, passing is permitted on the straights but not in the turns.
You will get most of what you need to know, in terms of procedures and regulations, in the riders meeting. You’ll meet once in the morning to cover those procedures and then meet after each of the first three sessions to go over some skills, track-specific tips, Q&A, etc. You can learn a lot from the vast wealth of experience held by the CR’s here.
I strongly recommend you read the general refs and track day procedures documentation that is available on the PRE website. That will help ensure a smooth first day.
Cheers,

Kerry

I'm not slow; I'm deliberate :D
N 333 - '06 GSX-R750

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 04:14:59 PM »

Great summary Kerry. :thumbup:

If I can add one thing Jake it would be to ignore pretty much everything you see about trackdays on facebook. Come here for answers to your questions and I promise they will be accurate and honest. 
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

SVblues

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 04:21:33 PM »

Sounds great guys, thanks again! Ill be sure to cruise the forum and ask my questions here in the off season.  Should be enough time to acquire the gear I need. 

TrackSide Gear

• PRE Vendor
  • "We support the sport"
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 05:37:13 PM »

Sounds great guys, thanks again! Ill be sure to cruise the forum and ask my questions here in the off season.  Should be enough time to acquire the gear I need.
Hey Jake ~

I'm a dope!  I totally misread your earlier post and my reply wasn't very helpful at all.. So sorry about that!

TSG can help you get the right protective gear to ride on the track for the best possible price.

We're here to help!

Susan

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Tommy & Susan

SVblues

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 07:12:38 AM »

sent you a PM in regards to gear pricing Susan.

RickyBobby

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 11:58:16 AM »

Hey Jake, I'm Rick in Greensboro and ride with PRE fairly often. Hit me up and we can do a ride share. This hobby costs enough...hitch a ride!

I'll send you a PM with my number. Maybe we can coordinate on some track days.
I Group
K7 GSXR750

MonkeyMan

• Control Rider
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 12:09:42 PM »

Hey Jake - welcome to PRE!

I think you'll find most everyone here very welcoming and helpful. It truly is a great organization!

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask - and as John said the responses and information you'll get here will be far better than what you're likely to get in Trackday Junkies.

Again welcome to PRE and the permanent grin you're about to experience out on the racetrack!!
"MonkeyMan" Mike
Sicilian Racing
15 Yamaha R1M
Wera #413
http://www.facebook.com/FlyingMonkeyMotorcycleRacing

Echs332000

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 04:15:18 PM »

there are a few of us in the triad area.  Feel free to reach out of you need a way to get your bike to the track
2011 ZX10r
2007 R6
2014 ZX10r
I-Group

VIR IS THE DEVIL!

bigshug1

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 08:29:33 AM »

Welcome!

Jake, just to parrot what Nicole said - the CR's are 100% there to help you. Ask questions. Ask lots of them. Ask a CR to work with you each session - because he'll probably give you something specific to work on each time out and then you can both discuss what you learned at the end of each run.

You'll be shocked at how much faster you'll get and how much more safely you'll get there with the wealth of knowledge PRE has to offer. Good luck!
Shane Carwile
Intermediate Group
2015 Yamaha R6 - #247
2017 Yamaha R6 - (probably) my backup bike :)

Page created in 0.399 seconds with 33 queries.