Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Tire Life and Age Question  (Read 188 times)

cev318ti

Tire Life and Age Question
« on: October 09, 2017, 02:40:54 PM »

I have a question about judging tire life. I have a Michelin Road 2CT rear with 2-1/2 track days (one of those days being in the wet this past Saturday at CMP). The tire was manufactured in 2013. The tread is still good, traction seems good (it only slightly broke loose in the wet, none in the dry) but is it too old? I know street riding you need to replace them if they're 6 years old but how does that compare to track riding?

Thanks!
1999 Triumph Speedtona 955i
1980 Honda CM400e
1995 CBR600f3

JRA

• Administrator
Re: Tire Life and Age Question
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 02:43:39 PM »

I was running one from 2011 on my bike yesterday, lol. It sounds to me like it's fine, but if it concerns you at all just get a new set. A lot of this game is mental and you need to feel good about your tires.
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

cev318ti

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 04:28:08 PM »

That makes me feel a lot better about keeping it for next season lol. Correct me if I am wrong but tires begin to go off toward the end of their life instead of going out like a lightbulb right? I am running a Novice pace so I would imagine if it started to go I would feel it wiggle a bit where it normally wouldn't instead of leaving me in the grass all of a sudden.
1980 Honda CM400e
1995 CBR600f3

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 04:39:52 PM »

They go off gradually until you make a mistake big enough for it to be like a light switch. :D Seriously, the decreasing grip is subtle. As the tires decrease in grip you will likewise back off of the grip you are asking of them. You do that subconsciously and also consciously. The subconscious part is just the "feel" you get from the tires. The conscious part is if you have a moment like a slide you weren't expecting. If a tire has a dollars worth of grip when it's new, you're wearing that grip off a penny at time, and not ten or twenty cents at a time. That's why I say as grip decreases its a subtle thing. The best way to feel that is to mount brand new tires in the middle of the day. You should feel a big difference then.

Your question was mostly about the age of the tire though and based on your description I wouldn't be too worried about that. If it feels good when you are riding on it run it. When you lose confidence in it change it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:42:27 PM by JRA »
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

dbosch11

• Newbie For Life!
  • Control Rider
  • GWC
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 04:44:20 PM »

I have a question about judging tire life. I have a Michelin Road 2CT rear with 2-1/2 track days (one of those days being in the wet this past Saturday at CMP). The tire was manufactured in 2013. The tread is still good, traction seems good (it only slightly broke loose in the wet, none in the dry) but is it too old? I know street riding you need to replace them if they're 6 years old but how does that compare to track riding?

Thanks!

Way too used. I'll just take them off your hands next event  :D

d11b
10 r6

RocketDan

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 04:45:11 PM »

From my experience tires wear out or I want to change them for other reasons long before time can make them unusable (assuming they aren't dry rotting in a field somewhere).

It is highly unlikely your tires will turn to glass all of a sudden. I'm not too familiar with Pilot Roads on the track but you should be fine as long as there is still rubber. It is important to always listen to what the tire is telling you.

But if you keep riding track you will start searching for more grip and there is a good chance you will want to move to a more track oriented tire.

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

RocketDan

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 04:51:23 PM »

PS: I won't tell you how old the rain tires I was running on Saturday, Just that they were WAY older than you are talking about. When I ditch them this off season Dean will probably run them for a couple more seasons. LOL

Daniel
OTP Racing #14
Yamaha R1
Wilmington, NC

cev318ti

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 11:01:32 AM »

Thanks guys, this gives me a reason to not spend money when I don't have to (or have it lol).
1980 Honda CM400e
1995 CBR600f3

Viffer

• Max Speed Cycles
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 08:59:47 AM »

Well I just saw this today and all I can say is thanks everyone for the quick responses to the question asked.  All very good info.  The PRE guys and this forum is the best.
Jim Eglinger
Max Speed Cycles
336-993-6661
WWW.MAXSPEEDCYCLES.COM

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 18 queries.