Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Thinking About a Dually  (Read 6367 times)

RADAR Magnet

Re: Thinking About a Dually
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2018, 08:24:18 AM »

any updates??

Search got sidetracked but now back on front burner.  I'm getting the rust off today.  Couldn't help but look at ads online; saw a great looking one down near Atlanta.  Wouldn't it be cool to fly down and pick up the truck, and a trailer, in one trip???  Too early to get excited about anything, I have to go through the due diligence, don't want an expensive lemon. 

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2018, 08:37:31 AM »

Post a link to the ad Lee. I'd like to see what you're looking at. And yes, flying down to get the truck and trailer would be awesome. Ruhe's trailer I assume?
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

RADAR Magnet

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2018, 10:20:40 AM »

« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 12:46:27 PM by RADAR Magnet »

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2018, 04:17:10 PM »

King Ranch is a nice truck! Good luck Lee :thumbup:
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days

MonkeyMan

• Control Rider
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2018, 05:19:13 AM »

Yes, Ruhe's trailer.  Here's a link to the ad; don't know anything about it other than it's a 6.4.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?inventorySearchWidgetType=MY_LISTINGS&sourceContext=facebook#listing=191499405

That's a pretty nice looking truck Lee. Good luck with it if you decide to go that route!
"MonkeyMan" Mike
Sicilian Racing
07 Daytona 675 (for sale)
15 Yamaha R1M
Wera #413
http://www.facebook.com/FlyingMonkeyMotorcycleRacing

RADAR Magnet

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2018, 06:32:09 AM »

Thanks guys, I agree, that truck does look nice; I'd love to just pull the trigger and be done with it.  But I read something last night that gave me a lot of pause and was frustrating.  Bill Hewitt commented on the 6.4 and said they are junk; that they were designed to be 150,000 mile throw away engines.  He went on from there.  The truck in the ad has 155,000 miles.  Today's goal is to look into this idea further and either validate it or find some fair reason to discount it. 

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2018, 07:03:35 AM »

I would't hesitate to take my truck to him to have it worked on or bullet proofed because he's got a ton of experience with these trucks. He's also said a lot of things others strongly disagree with. I don't really know much about the 6.4, but I'm sure you can learn a whole lot about it on powerstroke.org. 
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days

52 Ruhe

• Is my name GOOGLE Mother fucker!!!!!!
  • Administrator
Thinking About a Dually
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2018, 08:05:45 AM »

6.4 like the 6.0 has stuff you will want done eventually for peace of mind. My guess is a 6.4 with 155k on it has gone through at least one EGR and one coogg d DPF.

Remote oil cooler
Delete EGR
4 inch exhaust turbo back
Cold air intake
Keep tune below 450hp

Over 450 stud the bitch. Other than that I think it will
Last as long as anything.
Turbo inlet bracket also a weak spot. Broke my mount on the way to RA and blew the intake seals.
Pretty easy fix.
If you want buy it do nothing. Either god built 7.3 or a brand new under warranty vehicle.

I am 98k on mine and still very happy with it.

Gould can clue you in more as well on 6.4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike Ruhe #52

Managing Partner - Founder

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

Mobile: 404-435-8427

mike.ruhe@ridepre.com

RADAR Magnet

« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2018, 09:39:39 AM »

I can't lie, I'm tired of looking for one of these that checks all the boxes - not too beat up, not too pricey.  I wanted to be open to trucks outside my area but that seems too hard to pull off.  I may go check out these two near me.  Both are more than I originally wanted to spend but I may say screw it and just get one.  I like the grey one better but it's nearly an extra $10k for 20k fewer miles.  The red one seems like a better deal. 

https://www.settlescarstrucksrvs.com/2011_Ford_F350%20Super%20Duty_Flint%20Hill_VA_270301820.veh

https://www.settlescarstrucksrvs.com/2012_Ford_F350%20Super%20Duty_Flint%20Hill_VA_269905211.veh

MBB1

« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2018, 09:52:35 AM »

Lee,

They both look better than the king ranch you posted up a couple weeks ago. If it don’t work out it just wasn’t meant to be!

There are several NEW 2017’s that are still on the lots. I know it’s a lot of coin but sometimes you can get a new truck for just slightly more than a used one.

Another route is to look at HERTZ or Enterprise car sales in Norfolk, VA. Many of the F350’s were on lease to the Navy. Most of the time the trucks were underutilized. However, they mostly lease the Fleet Truck XLT Model.

Just my 02 cents.

Good Luck!
R/
GDFTHR
SICILIAN RACING
"Well Done Is Better Than Well Said"

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2018, 05:09:16 AM »

I didn't see a price listed for those trucks, but what I found when I was looking is that the used 6.7 are very expensive, and the difference between used and new is a lot less. There is no question that the 6.7 is the way to go, and worth it IMO. The quietness of the ride, and the comfort and night and day compared to my 6.0. I was kicking myself for not doing it sooner.
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days

griffonrider

« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2018, 07:00:35 AM »

I've been following this thread since it started way back when.  I've been wanting a big diesel pusher of my own for quite a while now but something has always gotten in the way.  I know I don't want a 6.0 or a 6.4.  That leaves the old tried and true 7.3 and the new 6.7.  I've been checking prices and mileage for quite a while and a good F-350 dually with a 7.3 and less than 200,000 miles is going to cost between 18,000 and 25,000 depending on the options -- 4WD, leather etc.  There are lots of manual transmission models out there for less but I don't want to shift gears.  A low mileage 6.7 is going to cost 30 to 40 grand.  Again depending on options.  IMHO the 7.3 is the way to go if you don't have the extra $$$$ to spring for a 6.7.  I'm hoping purchase a truck in time to make the NNFull weekend this year.  It's been way too long since I've seen you hooligans. 
Mike
'07 Ducati 1098 (Track)
'11 R6 (Track) <SOB is tryin' to kill me>sold to an up and coming MotoAmerica rider.
'03 Harley Lowrider (Street)
'76 Kawasaki KZ 900 (Garage Queen)

F__k the dumb shit, let's ride!!!!

Echs332000

« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2018, 04:25:53 AM »

Can remember if you looked at chevy. 

I owned a 6.0(giant money pit)  I switched to a 2005 chevy 2500(lly) and havent looked backed.  Yea it doesnt have the creature comforts of the new trucks, but it didnt cost $50k either. 

Pulls my 35 Foot toy hauler just fine.

If you a are thinking about the chevy, stay away from the LB7.  LLY is good, but the best one is the LBZ.  The LBZ is the year before the emissions bullcrap. 
2011 ZX10r
2007 R6
2014 ZX10r
I-Group

VIR IS THE DEVIL!

MBB1

R/
GDFTHR
SICILIAN RACING
"Well Done Is Better Than Well Said"

RADAR Magnet

« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2018, 05:40:36 PM »

The search is over, pulled the trigger on a 2012 F350 today.  Thanks to everyone for the input along the way.  I ended up a long way from where I started but ultimately opted for the 6.7 and fewer miles.  This thing is clean and nice, and I'm looking forward to owning the road in it!  Now it's time to focus on prepping the bike. 

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 32 queries.