Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Vision is the key to speed  (Read 479 times)

RocketDan

• Control Rider
Vision is the key to speed
« on: October 12, 2021, 05:36:35 PM »

I think one of the things I talk to riders about the most is vision. Keeping your eyes down track helps you go faster, and makes passing safer.

I ran across this video which i thought does a good job explaining why vision is so important. Figured I would share

https://youtu.be/gCgvm5oVPWk

Daniel Hughes
2015 R1

Spinak 627

• Control Rider
  • There is no spoon
Re: Vision is the key to speed
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 07:17:57 AM »

Kyle and I are big fans of Alberto. He's got some other really good instructional videos on his channel that I would highly recommend checking out
Matt Spinak
CCS Expert #627

RocketDan

• Control Rider
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 08:33:17 AM »

Kyle and I are big fans of Alberto. He's got some other really good instructional videos on his channel that I would highly recommend checking out
Any videos on proper dangle technique?

Daniel Hughes
2015 R1

Kyle M

• Not sexy need not apply
  • Control Rider
  • Turn yo' head until you start to Break yo' neck
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 09:25:26 AM »

ABSOLUTELY!!

I think the 3 of us here have had more than our share of vision convos about our own riding. It is the first thing I go to when looking to help a rider with solid technique find speed.

Also not just about where you are looking but how quickly is your vision moving through your reference points. You may be looking in all the right spots but you could be holding onto those visual reference spots too long.
Kyle Mathews
09 RM R1 #33

dbosch11

• Newbie For Life!
  • Control Rider
  • GWC
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 07:09:45 AM »

This guy does a great job explaining! His videos are so good.
Thank you for sharing  :tiphat:
d11b
10 r6

JustAnotherSquid

• Used to ride a motorcycle
    • Charlotte Motorcycle Riders
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 08:55:09 AM »

That was a great video!  It's the number one skill I've worked on maintaining this year and it has been so helpful.

Sadly I'm still slow as molasses, but fortunately have identified my second biggest weakness.  Would love to see a video on that topic.  It would be called "DON'T BE SUCH A GIANT PUSSY".   :hide:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 09:14:17 AM by JustAnotherSquid »
2001 BMW R1100S | 2003 Suzuki SV650 | 2006 Suzuki SV650

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 09:17:41 AM »

Key is to just stop. It’s easier said than done. Vision is the one fix to slow. Eyes too close to the front wheel feeding your brain misinformation by looking in the wrong spots around the track and perception of speed exponentially increased by not looking down the track.
I cannot recall who it was that said it. Might have been Colin Edwards. Something to the effect of Find a place you are feeling really good. Real confident. Like I could get through this turn not matter what. Then scare the hell out of yourself in it.

Of course this is also Colin so not sure we should listen to him.

https://youtu.be/cdqTMPwjqR8
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder- Owner

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

theottergod

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 10:08:13 AM »

I think I already know the answer to this question but is there any way to safely wear a gopro on the helmet and pass tech? I plan on focusing on vision at VIR next week and would love to be able to look back at what my head is doing.
Spencer :i:#17
'87 NC24
'99 RC46
'01 RC51

Natrix

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 10:11:13 AM »

Per the manual, I think you’ll have to rely on your memory for that.   :)

Or put the camera on the rear, facing it forward and maybe up a little so you’ll see your head at all times. Maybe that’d work?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 10:12:46 AM by Natrix »
Kerry

I'm not slow; I'm deliberate :D
:i: 333 - '06 GSX-R750

Kyle M

• Not sexy need not apply
  • Control Rider
  • Turn yo' head until you start to Break yo' neck
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 10:37:58 AM »

I think I already know the answer to this question but is there any way to safely wear a gopro on the helmet and pass tech? I plan on focusing on vision at VIR next week and would love to be able to look back at what my head is doing.

Even if it were allowed I don't think it would give you the full story. Often my head is pointed in a direction but my eyes are bouncing around to dramatically different spots on the track all while my head stays "fixed"
Kyle Mathews
09 RM R1 #33

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 10:56:42 AM »

And officially no. There is no way to have a camera on your helmet and pass tech. Unless you have one of the 4 Skully helmets that actually made it into the pubic. Of course they wouldn’t pass our
Certification requirement for helmets so…. I revert back to the manual.
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder- Owner

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

JustAnotherSquid

• Used to ride a motorcycle
    • Charlotte Motorcycle Riders
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2021, 11:11:51 AM »

Of course this is also Colin so not sure we should listen to him.

https://youtu.be/cdqTMPwjqR8

Some good advice in that video!  For example, I learned that if you want to brake deeper just take some pain pills before going out.

And let's connect the dots on that one ... if you do screw up you're pre-medicated!  It's a win-win scenario.  :rofl:
2001 BMW R1100S | 2003 Suzuki SV650 | 2006 Suzuki SV650

Natrix

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2021, 12:10:58 PM »

Even if it were allowed I don't think it would give you the full story. Often my head is pointed in a direction but my eyes are bouncing around to dramatically different spots on the track all while my head stays "fixed"

This is so true! With my short neck and what might be a little interference between the back of my helmet and leathers (or between the non-removable neck roll and my neck), my eyeballs spend a ton of time pointed way upward in order to get a good view.
Kerry

I'm not slow; I'm deliberate :D
:i: 333 - '06 GSX-R750

MonkeyMan

• Control Rider
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2021, 04:33:20 PM »

I think one of the things I talk to riders about the most is vision. Keeping your eyes down track helps you go faster, and makes passing safer.

I ran across this video which i thought does a good job explaining why vision is so important. Figured I would share

https://youtu.be/gCgvm5oVPWk

Daniel Hughes
2015 R1

Absolutely true! I think as CRs we spend a lot of time helping riders (or at least trying to) understand that they need to keep their eyes up and look further down track.

Earlier this year I had to remind myself of this very thing. While out for a jog I started noticing my pace getting slower after I had some foot issues. I realized after a second, then third slower run that I was looking down/nearer to me on the street instead of looking further down the street. Had to remind myself to look up and boom - my running pace was back to where it normally was.

It actually applies to more things in life too - but we can just stick to the track stuff for now.
"MonkeyMan" Mike
#413 Yamaha R1M
Flying Monkey Racing
http://www.facebook.com/FlyingMonkeyMotorcycleRacing

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 17 queries.