Performance Riding Experience Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: PRE Videos  (Read 2104 times)

dbosch11

• Newbie For Life!
  • Control Rider
  • GWC
Re: PRE Videos
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2022, 12:32:14 PM »

https://youtu.be/Va_shs-vlJ4

New Video! Tips for riding in the rain :)
d11b
10 r6

NothingClever

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2022, 03:42:30 PM »

Yeah!  Deano—vision is back!
Insert pithy, world-saving philosophy here.

RocketDan

• Control Rider
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2022, 03:58:25 PM »

Dan, your videos are informative while hilarious.

Great job. 

Keep up the great work!
Thanks for giving me the credit! :)

Daniel Hughes
2015 R1

dbosch11

• Newbie For Life!
  • Control Rider
  • GWC
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2022, 09:03:17 PM »

Yeah!  Deano—vision is back!

Great talking to you at CMP!
d11b
10 r6

dbosch11

• Newbie For Life!
  • Control Rider
  • GWC
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2022, 09:04:23 PM »

Thanks for giving me the credit! :)

Daniel Hughes
2015 R1

You are that good Dan!!
d11b
10 r6

kawijayb511

• @KAWIJAYB511
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2022, 01:18:28 PM »

Hey, dbosch11...do you think it would be a good idea to do a video about the types of coolant accepted by P.R.E.? Maybe a video on good mounting places for cameras and how to safety wire them accordingly?

Maybe you have already created one and I just missed the link...
NEVER GIVE UP - ALWAYS REACH YOUR GOAL - BE YOURSELF - STAY LOYAL - STAY HUMBLE

RocketDan

• Control Rider
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2022, 03:51:56 PM »

Hey, dbosch11...do you think it would be a good idea to do a video about the types of coolant accepted by P.R.E.? Maybe a video on good mounting places for cameras and how to safety wire them accordingly?

Maybe you have already created one and I just missed the link...
Excellent topic ideas!

Daniel Hughes
2015 R1

boike333

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2022, 05:38:40 PM »

I’d appreciate one on safety wiring in general. Why, what, how, importance etc.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 05:43:00 PM by boike333 »
2005 SV #333
2002 DRZ
2006 FJR

Lake Wylie SC

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2022, 06:35:30 AM »

I can't help with any videos but I can help with answering some questions.

Coolant
For Novice group whatever came in your bike is acceptable although we would prefer you switch it out.
For everyone else it's water, or water and water wetter. If there is another option that contains no glycol, either ethylene or propylene, then that is okay too. There are too many types of "coolants" for us to know what is contained in every single one. If says glycol anywhere on the bottle then it's not allowed. Our recommendation is just to run water. If somebody spills water no time is lost to clean up and it dries quickly. I think a quick video on this would involve Dean holding up a gallon of distilled water and saying "Here, use this!"  :D

Cameras
How many cameras have we seen end up on the track in the last decade? Probably at least a hundred. No matter how good you think that mount is it will break at some point. Safety wire the camera, not the mount but the actual camera, to a fixed point on the bike so that when the mount breaks the camera will dangle. There are a bunch of different ways the safety wire (or zip tie) can be fixed to the bike, but probably not that many ways it can be fixed to a camera. I've never had a go pro or similar camera so I don't really know much about how they can be wired so that would be a good idea for a video. The main idea here is you don't want to be the guy on the front straight who has a camera bounce up and hit you in the face because it fell off the bike in front of you.

Safety Wire
If you ride on the track it's a good idea.

Let's see, we're six track days into the season and things I've been asked for so far this year because they fell off on the track...Front axle nut, caliper bolt, and front sprocket nut. You've probably heard me say go over your bike and check for anything that is loose before you ever come to the track. IMO, all of these things that I just mentioned should be wired. I would never hold my bikes up as being the pinnacle of preparedness like Ruhe's for instance, but all of the above fasteners are wired on my bikes.

This is what I have wired on my bikes
both axle nuts
caliper bolts
brake pad retaining pins
axle pinch bolts
front sprocket nuts
oil filter
oil filler cap
drain bolt

I'm sure there are some things I'm forgetting so I'll make a point to see what I forgot when I'm going over the bike later today.

At various time I've also had things like rear set bolts and exhaust hanger bolts, exhaust header bolts, shift and brake levers, and I wire anything important that is retained by a clip. For instance, there are some Brembo master cylinders that have the pin that goes through the brake lever and is only secured with a clip. This is a catastrophe waiting to happen. Your front brake lever can literally fall off and that has happened before. I also use locktite on a lot of things too.

Anything that is retaining fluids should be wired in a way that the bolt is held tight. The point to this is that you don't want the fastener to be able to rotate at all. So don't wire your oil drain bolt or filter with a piece of wire with a safety pin on the end of it. Safety pins are fine for a lot of other fasteners where the point is to prevent them from falling out. For instance a safety pin on a caliper bolt is fine. Even if the bolt is loose it can't rotate far enough that it will come out. Obviously it's better if the bolt is tight, but even if it's not you won't have a catastrophic brake failure.

Safety wire is a really good idea no matter what group you are in. How do you know what to wire? That's an easy question to answer. Just ask yourself what would happen if this bolt fell out while I was going 150 mph. It's also a check that you didn't forget to tighten a bolt, and even if you did forget to torque it the bolt will not fall out if it's wired.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 06:45:05 AM by JRA »
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

boike333

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2022, 11:29:09 AM »

Safety wire is a really good idea no matter what group you are in. How do you know what to wire? That's an easy question to answer. Just ask yourself what would happen if this bolt fell out while I was going 150 mph. It's also a check that you didn't forget to tighten a bolt, and even if you did forget to torque it the bolt will not fall out if it's wired.

Thanks for this information John it really helps. I did not know the safety wiring was done to prevent nuts and bolts etc from backing out. I thought it was to keep them with the bike if it went down and not to litter the track.

Again many thanks for explaining this more in depth.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 04:06:49 AM by boike333 »
2005 SV #333
2002 DRZ
2006 FJR

Lake Wylie SC

JustAnotherSquid

• Used to ride a motorcycle
    • Charlotte Motorcycle Riders
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2022, 12:13:19 PM »

I can't help with any videos but I can help with answering some questions.

Coolant
For Novice group whatever came in your bike is acceptable although we would prefer you switch it out.
For everyone else it's water, or water and water wetter. If there is another option that contains no glycol, either ethylene or propylene, then that is okay too. There are too many types of "coolants" for us to know what is contained in every single one. If says glycol anywhere on the bottle then it's not allowed. Our recommendation is just to run water. If somebody spills water no time is lost to clean up and it dries quickly. I think a quick video on this would involve Dean holding up a gallon of distilled water and saying "Here, use this!"  :D

Cameras
How many cameras have we seen end up on the track in the last decade? Probably at least a hundred. No matter how good you think that mount is it will break at some point. Safety wire the camera, not the mount but the actual camera, to a fixed point on the bike so that when the mount breaks the camera will dangle. There are a bunch of different ways the safety wire (or zip tie) can be fixed to the bike, but probably not that many ways it can be fixed to a camera. I've never had a go pro or similar camera so I don't really know much about how they can be wired so that would be a good idea for a video. The main idea here is you don't want to be the guy on the front straight who has a camera bounce up and hit you in the face because it fell off the bike in front of you.

Safety Wire
If you ride on the track it's a good idea.

Let's see, we're six track days into the season and things I've been asked for so far this year because they fell off on the track...Front axle nut, caliper bolt, and front sprocket nut. You've probably heard me say go over your bike and check for anything that is loose before you ever come to the track. IMO, all of these things that I just mentioned should be wired. I would never hold my bikes up as being the pinnacle of preparedness like Ruhe's for instance, but all of the above fasteners are wired on my bikes.

This is what I have wired on my bikes
both axle nuts
caliper bolts
brake pad retaining pins
axle pinch bolts
front sprocket nuts
oil filter
oil filler cap
drain bolt

I'm sure there are some things I'm forgetting so I'll make a point to see what I forgot when I'm going over the bike later today.

At various time I've also had things like rear set bolts and exhaust hanger bolts, exhaust header bolts, shift and brake levers, and I wire anything important that is retained by a clip. For instance, there are some Brembo master cylinders that have the pin that goes through the brake lever and is only secured with a clip. This is a catastrophe waiting to happen. Your front brake lever can literally fall off and that has happened before. I also use locktite on a lot of things too.

Anything that is retaining fluids should be wired in a way that the bolt is held tight. The point to this is that you don't want the fastener to be able to rotate at all. So don't wire your oil drain bolt or filter with a piece of wire with a safety pin on the end of it. Safety pins are fine for a lot of other fasteners where the point is to prevent them from falling out. For instance a safety pin on a caliper bolt is fine. Even if the bolt is loose it can't rotate far enough that it will come out. Obviously it's better if the bolt is tight, but even if it's not you won't have a catastrophic brake failure.

Where's a "Like" button when you need one??!?
Stuck in Phase One of "Fake It till you Make It"

2001 BMW R1100S | 2003 Suzuki SV650 #555 "Princess" | 2006 Suzuki SV650 #555 "Pigpen" | 2016 BMW G650GS

52 Ruhe

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2022, 05:34:46 PM »

John Allen a group of us have tested VP Frosty. I would say water or water wetter or VP frosty are the preferred. Any glycol coolant will require extended clean up. Don’t care what the bottle says, don’t care what people “think” glycol = less traction  as well as clean up.
Mike Ruhe #52

Partner - Founder- Owner

www.ridepre.com

Canton, GA

dbosch11

• Newbie For Life!
  • Control Rider
  • GWC
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2022, 04:28:57 PM »

7 Tips for Novice Track Day Riders

https://youtu.be/oXvFX1url7w

Thank you so much for watching and for the suggestions.
These are great ideas to make into videos so thank you  :clap:

AirFence Video next for the Fund Raiser!!
d11b
10 r6

JRA

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2022, 04:28:40 AM »

One of those is a pro tip for riders of all skill levels. It's a track day, leave room for humans to make mistakes.
John Allen
Co-Founder/President
PRE Track Days
john dot allen at ridepre dot com

JustAnotherSquid

• Used to ride a motorcycle
    • Charlotte Motorcycle Riders
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2022, 07:18:41 AM »

7 Tips for Novice Track Day Riders

https://youtu.be/oXvFX1url7w

Advice is always easier to give than take, right?  :D  Great video and the points are relevant to all of us.

The production value of your videos gets noticeably better with each iteration.  You're on to something good here!
Stuck in Phase One of "Fake It till you Make It"

2001 BMW R1100S | 2003 Suzuki SV650 #555 "Princess" | 2006 Suzuki SV650 #555 "Pigpen" | 2016 BMW G650GS
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 18 queries.